Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Default Re: Which is the best pre-paid service for the Nexus?

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite.ac View Post
    Ah, interesting point. So if my usage is actually 200 min/month I can buy a card for an extra 100 min and add it to my account each month?

What if I use more than 5G of data, can I buy extra of that?
    I have the 30.00 plan on Tmo. What I did was buy a 100.00 prepaid card then have it put toward my account. With that if I go over my 100 mins the take out the diff at .10 per minute. So if you are using say 200 per month that's an extra 10.00 charged to the account still cheaper then straight talk and you have the unlim txt and data. So long as you throw an extra card in there from time to time you should be fine.

As far as the 5GB limit I believe that after that you go down to 2G speeds. Someone else might have a better idea.

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts

I've been using Straight Talk with my Nexus. Luv the service and the speed. HSPA+
    I don't try to cheat the system by using my cell data as my constant home internet access(I pay for home internet) so I have no issues with the TOS.
    Android phone history:
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail (r00ted)>ZTE Warp>Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Lomax likes this.

I'm at a lost of words. Why sue Straight Talk?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Neutril View Post
    I'm at a lost of words. Why sue Straight Talk?

Because this is america and everyone is a money hungry s.o.b lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    MERCDROID likes this.

Money hungry? Ha um, are we supposed to be poverty hungry?

Money hungry? Ha um, are we supposed to be poverty hungry?

When u have ppl suing over stuff like this its a bit ridiculous. Seriously a lady gets 1 million suing McDonalds because her coffee cup isn't labeled that its hot? That's common sense. And that is lazy people finding any way out they can

MERCDROID likes this.

Mcdonalds serves ice coffee as well, so could have been their fault. I'm just saying don't hate on Straight talk, cuz they're just providing the common citizen reliable service providence they pay for. I mean contracts are just wretched. $115 for 4gb split between 2 people without unlimited calling? Well I don't call much, but I burn a gb a night scrolling Craigslist! Plus ST sells sims for smartphones? Really, my wallet just had a gasm cuz I've saved so much. But I do hate how customer service's employees can only say one sentence in English, "Welcome to Straight Talk." Then its all "Gihh bo tul giij pleashe wait one molment."

Thanked by:
    MERCDROID likes this.

Mcdonalds serves ice coffee as well, so could have been their fault. I'm just saying don't hate on Straight talk, cuz they're just providing the common citizen reliable service providence they pay for. I mean contracts are just wretched. $115 for 4gb split between 2 people without unlimited calling? Well I don't call much, but I burn a gb a night scrolling Craigslist! Plus ST sells sims for smartphones? Really, my wallet just had a gasm cuz I've saved so much. But I do hate how customer service's employees can only say one sentence in English, "Welcome to Straight Talk." Then its all "Gihh bo tul giij pleashe wait one molment."

I'm not dissing straight talk I have straight talk on my gnex. I'm just saying ppl complain that the unlimited isn't truly unlimited. If they want to complain then they can pay $$$ for all the GB they use simple as that. For $45 a month I can wait till I'm on wifi to download large apps and what not. Don't buy a kia and expect a Lexus.

Thanked by:
    DEman19901 and MERCDROID like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    I have the 30.00 plan on Tmo. What I did was buy a 100.00 prepaid card then have it put toward my account. With that if I go over my 100 mins the take out the diff at .10 per minute. So if you are using say 200 per month that's an extra 10.00 charged to the account still cheaper then straight talk and you have the unlim txt and data. So long as you throw an extra card in there from time to time you should be fine.

As far as the 5GB limit I believe that after that you go down to 2G speeds. Someone else might have a better idea.
    Oh interesting. I see the ability to pay for more minutes, but not more 4G data...
    Last edited by jwhite.ac; 07-27-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: emphasized buying more 4G data, not just having data available

Quote Originally Posted by snookie View Post
    That is a ridiculous amount to pay for texting. Almost pure profit for AT&T. They don't even use the main channel for texts because the control channels can handle the tiny bandwidth impact. They just know people want texting and they shaft you to get it.

I am playing around here with Samsung's ChatOn app.......it uses data obviously....still, could I use that and get rid of my texting plan or would I end up paying AT&T for texts?
    vor

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bigxie

Oh interesting. I see the ability to pay for more minutes, but not more 4G data...
    I have read some claim they were able to restart their 4G data buy paying $30 and resetting their Monthly Plan. (IE Your billing starts 7/1, you hit 5GB on 7/21, you call and have TMo deduct $30 from your bucket and you now start a new 30 Prepaid cycle 7/21) YMMV
    Droid HD Maxx on Tmo Prepaid [ROM] Nexesesque
    Xoom [ROM] Team EOS ICS

Galaxy Nexus GSM [ROM] RasbeanJelly
    Droid X [ROM] VorteX Reloaded (VXR)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    I'm not dissing straight talk I have straight talk on my gnex. I'm just saying ppl complain that the unlimited isn't truly unlimited. If they want to complain then they can pay $$$ for all the GB they use simple as that. For $45 a month I can wait till I'm on wifi to download large apps and what not. Don't buy a kia and expect a Lexus.

Kia doesn't advertise itself to be a Lexus. You assume because something is less money it somehow makes it worse?

I wouldn't sue for personal reasons to get rich but what they are doing is shady imo. They advertise unlimited and keep the ability to drop you anytime they want and keeping your phone number as well. For simply using the unlimited data they advertise having.

If they put a limit on things and ppl stayed within that limit there would be less complaints. Having invisible limits that ppl attempt to stay in is very shady imo.

I've been with ST for 6 months atm and no complaints here yet. But I will agree with those that have complaints, the terms should be stated when you sign up for the plan. Not after they feel they are losing money on you.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.

No way to add more data.....Once you hit 5GB you drop to 2G speeds and stay there till the new month opens up.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woosh View Post
    No way to add more data.....Once you hit 5GB you drop to 2G speeds and stay there till the new month opens up.
    Which is why I think overages are a better deal vs. throttling.

Example: Listen to the latest episode of the Cell Phone Junkie podcast. A caller described a life or death situation involving his daughter where they had to find the nearest emergency room. He has unlimited but went past 3GB so AT&T started throttling him. When he went to use his phone to find the nearest emergency room, his connection was throttled to the point where it was unusable. Luckily, he also had Navigon installed with pre-loaded maps and points of interest.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Which is why I think overages are a better deal vs. throttling.

Example: Listen to the latest episode of the Cell Phone Junkie podcast. A caller described a life or death situation involving his daughter where they had to find the nearest emergency room. He has unlimited but went past 3GB so AT&T started throttling him. When he went to use his phone to find the nearest emergency room, his connection was throttled to the point where it was unusable. Luckily, he also had Navigon installed with pre-loaded maps and points of interest.

Maybe....I personally like what T-Mo is doing and basically doing it both ways. You can buy 100mb of high speed and get throttled or you can buy 5gb and get throttled. Gives you options based on your usage.

Its much better imo then Verizon $15 a GB overage.

But both Verizon and AT&T I think go higher then what T-Mo offers. Fairly sure T-Mo highest is 5gb while the others are 10?

But you can buy roughly 3-4 of these T-Mo $30 plans for what you would pay Verizon for 10gb of shared data. Just have to carry around 4 Sims.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Maybe....I personally like what T-Mo is doing and basically doing it both ways. You can buy 100mb of high speed and get throttled or you can buy 5gb and get throttled. Gives you options based on your usage.

Its much better imo then Verizon $15 a GB overage.

But both Verizon and AT&T I think go higher then what T-Mo offers. Fairly sure T-Mo highest is 5gb while the others are 10?

But you can buy roughly 3-4 of these T-Mo $30 plans for what you would pay Verizon for 10gb of shared data. Just have to carry around 4 Sims.
    But when you get throttled, you may end up in a situation where you need full speed data and its a matter of life or death.

Both Sprint (if you have a good connection) and Verizon (if you're on LTE) unlimited plans do not get throttled based on "overuse".

I think the tiered plan on Verizon goes up to 15, while AT&T's coming tiered plan goes up to 20. But then if you go over, you pay an overage- you don't get throttled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    But when you get throttled, you may end up in a situation where you need full speed data and its a matter of life or death.

Both Sprint (if you have a good connection) and Verizon (if you're on LTE) unlimited plans do not get throttled based on "overuse".

I think the tiered plan on Verizon goes up to 15, while AT&T's coming tiered plan goes up to 20. But then if you go over, you pay an overage- you don't get throttled.

Tbh I can't think of a single reason where data would be a matter of life or death.(Well maybe I could if I rly tried) But it wasn't that long ago that nobody had smartphones and AFAIK deaths haven't gone down due to the amount of smartphones in ppls hands.

I wish we lived in a world where there was no throttle and no caps at all. But I remember back when having a regular phone and every month you don't know what the bill is because of all the stupid overages. I DO NOT ever want to go back to that.

As long as these plans are detailed you should know what your data usage is and stay within those parameters. If you sign up for a 2GB T-Mo plan and use 4GB a month you should be aware of the throttle.

Obviously the big problem here is Straight Talk where the limit is invisible and not disclosed to you.

Anyway, Thx for the podcast suggestion. Even though these ppl seem to be iPhone users its an interesting listen.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Tbh I can't think of a single reason where data would be a matter of life or death.(Well maybe I could if I rly tried) But it wasn't that long ago that nobody had smartphones and AFAIK deaths haven't gone down due to the amount of smartphones in ppls hands.

I wish we lived in a world where there was no throttle and no caps at all. But I remember back when having a regular phone and every month you don't know what the bill is because of all the stupid overages. I DO NOT ever want to go back to that.

As long as these plans are detailed you should know what your data usage is and stay within those parameters. If you sign up for a 2GB T-Mo plan and use 4GB a month you should be aware of the throttle.

Obviously the big problem here is Straight Talk where the limit is invisible and not disclosed to you.

Anyway, Thx for the podcast suggestion. Even though these ppl seem to be iPhone users its an interesting listen.
    Mickey guests on the Android Central podcast all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by vor View Post
    No 2 year contract ETF ($200 on Value plans), no added taxes, ability to buy prepaid cards at a small discount (3-5%), but Value plan would get you Roaming...
    TMobile Monthly4G has no roaming?
    vor

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bigxie

No Prepaid has roaming, possible exception is Straighttalk but with their far from Straightforward disclosure no one knows for certain. (Emergency calls will go through however, I don't think you even need a sim for 911 to work)
    Droid HD Maxx on Tmo Prepaid [ROM] Nexesesque
    Xoom [ROM] Team EOS ICS

Galaxy Nexus GSM [ROM] RasbeanJelly
    Droid X [ROM] VorteX Reloaded (VXR)

Quote Originally Posted by vor View Post
    No Prepaid has roaming, possible exception is Straighttalk but with their far from Straightforward disclosure no one knows for certain. (Emergency calls will go through however, I don't think you even need a sim for 911 to work)
    how is t-mobile coverage in general?

Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    how is t-mobile coverage in general?

I only used T-Mo for about 4 months until I decided to move on. Coverage is certainly spotty. If you travel you will see dead spots. But as with all carriers it will depend where you spend your time the most. I am sure there are some parts of the world where T-Mo is the best carrier.

They have impressive data speeds though. The other day at Costco I decided to play around with the 3 displays they had......Verizon LTE showed up at about 2mbps down, ATT went as high as 5MBPS(Although according to him that was 3G), and the T-Mo went just a shade over 12MBPS down.

I was certainly impressed with what I saw and ordered a 99c SIM to try them out again.

I think the biggest fault of T-Mo(At least with my experience)is their building penetration. Most my work has no signal, while Sprint never ever had that problem with me.

I've decided to drop ST for a few months and go with the $30 plan and save some money. I'll decide when the next Nexus comes out what to do after that. I don't use my phone much anyway and would love the savings for a few months.

I wish VM would go BYOD so I could do that.

But, if you want fast data and limited mins then T-Mo is a great option. Otherwise I think most ppl are better off with the ATT sim from ST.

ROM
    AOKP, CM9

I was just wondering how your experience data wise was on T-Mobile prepaid? Thought I read somewhere they start throttling you to 2g speeds after few hundred mb of data is that true?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Oops just read prior post about the two options for data so scratch this post
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mongstradamus View Post
    I was just wondering how your experience data wise was on T-Mobile prepaid? Thought I read somewhere they start throttling you to 2g speeds after few hundred mb of data is that true?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Oops just read prior post about the two options for data so scratch this post
    T-Mobile is pretty up front and clear about when they start throttling you.

Quote Originally Posted by snookie View Post
    Sprint is a very long way from getting usable coverage of LTE. If you happen to be one of the lucky few with it in your city it may be OK. Meanwhile you pay $10 extra per month for something you aren't getting.
    10 dollars extra over what? A feature phone data plan? That applies to all smart phones now, and it's still something like 10 bucks less than att and verizon for for similar plans.

I can't believe people are still going on about that.

You're getting a smartphone data plan, not 4g service.

Back on topic, My gf is wanting to ditch sprint post paid, I think I'm going to get her to go with the t-mobile plans based on what I'm reading, thanks guys!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast