Possible new GNex user

pjb5064

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I understand there is tons of information on the GNex not only on this forum, but elsewhere on the net. However, it's getting more difficult to find information that has come out recently. Because of this, I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the GNex and hopefully have some people give me advice.

I am a Verizon customer and I have an HTC Thunderbolt currently. I am up for a new phone on 11/21, and I was planning on getting the next Nexus device until that dream was shattered (I have my own reasons for staying on Verizon). I very much would like a Nexus device because I prefer stock android vs. HTC Sense or any other UI addon.

1) Would it be dumb to buy a Galaxy Nexus so late in it's cycle?
I would like to say that besides the battery (which I understand is a slight issue with the GNex), my Thunderbolt has been able to handle everything I need it to. As far as I can tell, the GNex has better hardware, so I figured I didn't need top of the line.

2) What version of Android can I expect on Verizon?
It seems the original Galaxy Nexus shipped with ICS on it. If I were to get one today, will I have to update it immediately to 4.1 Jelly Bean? Obviously this isn't a big issue, but I am concerned that the update to 4.2 will take months on Verizon as opposed to days or weeks.

3) How much space is available on it? SD Card?
I think 16 GB is fine for me, but I think I read the Verizon version has 32 GB which would be ideal.

4) Are there signal issues?
I talked to someone at the Verizon store, and he said one of the major complaints was signal issues. Could you provide any details?

5) Is the battery a huge issue?
Coming from a Thunderbolt I doubt it will even compare, but any tips? I have seen there are multiple battery sizes all the way up to 3000ish which I have in my Thunderbolt currently. Worst case scenario I can deal with the bulk, but would I need to?

If you guys could provide any other tips or additional concerns for a first time user, that would be awesome. Also if you think I should try to get something better, please suggest something and tell me why.

Thank you and I hope I am not angering anyone with this post as I do not know if it should be hear or not.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi there!

First off, you will probably get better responses for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus in the forum for that phone. This is the Google Galaxy Nexus which is the GSM version. Look here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/

I'll still try to respond to your questions:

1) Would it be dumb to buy a Galaxy Nexus so late in it's cycle?

If I was going to renew a contract, I'd want the newest tech I could get to future proof myself a little bit. but coming from the Thunderbolt, I think you'll be pretty happy with the upgrade

2) What version of Android can I expect on Verizon?

Check in the other forum. Verizon is usually slow putting out updates.

3) How much space is available on it? SD Card?

Check in the other forum, but I think the Verizon version has 32gb of storage.

4) Are there signal issues?

My GSM GNex has no signal issues. But you'll be better served in the Verizon forum.

5) Is the battery a huge issue?

My GSM GNex has no battery issues, I can go 24 hours if I actually use the phone like a phone, it's significantly less if I decide to play with it all day, but I also have 2 spare batteries that I use when I know I'll be away from the charger for a long time. This is the first phone that I don't have Juice Defender loaded by default. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised after the Thunderbolt.

Still caveat this and look in the Verizon forum.

I hope you find the phone that is best for you!

Last edited:

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
No worries!

The CDMA variants are just different enough to need different forums.

Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums