Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Share what you find in Jelly Bean 4.2

For bug related issues and solutions I created this http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...eshooting.html ... seems we aren't the only ones to experience such issues and we can attempt to keep this thread more on the positive side of Android 4.2.

So if you are having issues with the update please go here and hopefully we will have the right solution for you!
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...eshooting.html
    dancing-bass likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #77  

The clock app is so great. Not only does it show up in your quick setting s, see above post, it also has a lap feature built in for those who run or track others that run.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

i bought a used nexus unlocked w tmobile and it has supersu installed alread. Was mine rooted?

my android version is 4.2 , the kernel says it was 3.0.31-gd5a18e0 built on nov 2? is that right?

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    Maybe you misread my post. I expect it to provide a Google Now card of some sort. Google Now does not present ANYTHING at all related to the FedEx Package. And like I described, I have taken extra steps to try and get it to know I am expecting a package.
    I've received tracking numbers in my Gmail but Google Now isn't picking mine up either.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #80  

Quote Originally Posted by runningman3433 View Post
    i bought a used nexus unlocked w tmobile and it has supersu installed alread. Was mine rooted?

my android version is 4.2 , the kernel says it was 3.0.31-gd5a18e0 built on nov 2? is that right?
    At one point the phone may have been rooted. Can't tell unless I see it. Maybe someone else can chime in. The kernel version is correct. Build should be JOP40C.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

Mine is stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share what you find in Jelly Bean 4.2-uploadfromtaptalk1353116268846.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by trayes77 View Post
    I just reset my phone too. I figured I have updates my phone from all ice cream sandwich updates to all jelly bean updates , now would be a good time to start fresh.

I too noticed a much another experience throughout the device.

Yeah i did this too on both my gnexus and nexus 7 and got better experience with 4.2

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

One thing I have noticed that I DON'T like is it seems like my wifi perfomance sucks now. The phone doesn't hang on to wifi signals as well as it did previously. Mind you, previously I was running AOKP with a different baseband and kernel. Now I'm pure stock with factory kernel and baseband so that may be the issue. I'll go post in the troubleshooting thread as well
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #84  

Quote Originally Posted by dancing-bass View Post
    One thing I have noticed that I DON'T like is it seems like my wifi perfomance sucks now. The phone doesn't hang on to wifi signals as well as it did previously. Mind you, previously I was running AOKP with a different baseband and kernel. Now I'm pure stock with factory kernel and baseband so that may be the issue. I'll go post in the troubleshooting thread as well
    Go into advanced Wi-Fi settings and un tick " avoid poor Wi-Fi connections". That may help.

Quote Originally Posted by KlineAJ View Post
    Groove IP seems to be broken now...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Mine seems to work fine. Are you using the latest version?
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Go into advanced Wi-Fi settings and un tick " avoid poor Wi-Fi connections". That may help.
    I already have that unticked. I also tried playing with the battery manager option under wifi (I forget exactly what it was called. It was supposed to manage battery life while on wifi), as well as setting the wifi to never sleep, which is how I had it set before I flashed 4.2

I'm just backing everything up. My plan is to root and flash a different baseband to see if that helps at all. I'll try to post back in a couple hours. I'm gonna be at home, and sitting at my desk about 5 feet from the router, so I should be able to tell fairly quickly if it makes a difference. All my apps are the same, and how/when i use it is the same, so there are only 3 things that have changed:

1) Went from the latest AOKP ROM (based on 4.1) to stock 4.2
    2) Went from Franco's M6 kernel to stock kernel -- and this shouldn't affect wifi as far as I know
    3) Went from a North America specific baseband (UGLA1) to stock (XXsomething or other)

I'll start with what seems the most likely culprit -- the baseband -- and go from there.

(EDIT) I found a newer baseband. UGLC1, so that's what I'll be trying first. I bookmarked the link just in case.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #87  

Quote Originally Posted by dancing-bass View Post
    I already have that unticked. I also tried playing with the battery manager option under wifi (I forget exactly what it was called. It was supposed to manage battery life while on wifi), as well as setting the wifi to never sleep, which is how I had it set before I flashed 4.2

I'm just backing everything up. My plan is to root and flash a different baseband to see if that helps at all. I'll try to post back in a couple hours. I'm gonna be at home, and sitting at my desk about 5 feet from the router, so I should be able to tell fairly quickly if it makes a difference. All my apps are the same, and how/when i use it is the same, so there are only 3 things that have changed:

1) Went from the latest AOKP ROM (based on 4.1) to stock 4.2
    2) Went from Franco's M6 kernel to stock kernel -- and this shouldn't affect wifi as far as I know
    3) Went from a North America specific baseband (UGLA1) to stock (XXsomething or other)

I'll start with what seems the most likely culprit -- the baseband -- and go from there.
    I'm curious to know how it works out. On a different note, and I feel like a broken record asking this. When you flashed stock 4.2, were the Nexus 4 wallpapers baked in?

I flashed 4.2 too but I did not get the new wallpapers. But I got the ota on my Nexus 7 and I got the new wallpapers.

I haven't used the stock launcher in a long time, but with 4.2 it seems there are 2 in there that I don't recall seeing before. Don't take my word for it though, I've been running Apex launcher for months and I don't remember which wallpapers were in there from 4.1 or if the 2 I don't recognize are new -- or simply just don't remember them.

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

Excellent piece of advice I never knew that setting was there.

Thanks

Thanked by:

I'm curious to know how it works out. On a different note, and I feel like a broken record asking this. When you flashed stock 4.2, were the Nexus 4 wallpapers baked in?

I flashed 4.2 too but I did not get the new wallpapers. But I got the ota on my Nexus 7 and I got the new wallpapers.

Nope. The GSM nexus update did not contain the new wallpapers. However, you can download them from Zedge. They have the wallpapers in all available resolutions for the nexus devices.
    Thanked by:

Okay..after two days of battling with the 4.2 update...I gave up..the OTA update did slow things down on the phone...I decided to hard reset the phone and install everything from scratch.
    Now the phone is really smooth and responsive. I definitely recommend this option to everyone as a last resort.
    On a separate note, I also feel that the lock screen widgets feature is half-baked. It does not look very polished in my opinion. Nonetheless, its good to see Google implement new features...which is what I love about Nexus program!

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Patruns, now it works for me. Originally it did not before they updated it. Google is probably going to release an update soon that will smooth things out.

I feel the battery life is shorter in 4.2 than 4.1.2.

Hi, i updated my galaxy nexus via OTA on 4.2 and find what i have read on each of this threads, buggy, with lags. I thought about doing a factory reset, but then i read somewhere that with just doing a Wipe Partition Cache will do the trick for the lags on 4.2. So i did it, and im much happier with the build!!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #95  

I definitely agree that if you're having performance issues, you should withe clear system cache or factory reset.

What I did was kill two birds with one stone. Unlocked my device which factory reset it as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

When I lock the phone while listening to Google Music and then wake the phone up, I noticed the lock screen is now covering the music player. In 4.1, you were able to switch between songs from the lock screen. It's now behind the lock symbol and stutters. It won't let you switch and looks awful.

Anyone experience this?

Install this app and it will tell you if you are rooted.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...krim.rootcheck

On a different note, and I feel like a broken record asking this.

:-) - showing your age. Newer generation doesn't have a clue what records do when they are broken.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #99  

Quote Originally Posted by mightymikek83 View Post
    When I lock the phone while listening to Google Music and then wake the phone up, I noticed the lock screen is now covering the music player. In 4.1, you were able to switch between songs from the lock screen. It's now behind the lock symbol and stutters. It won't let you switch and looks awful.

Anyone experience this?
    If you swipe down from the music widget you'll pull down a shade. Now you will be able to control music.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234