Share what you find in Jelly Bean 4.2

fareal

May 29, 2010
Visit site
i bought a used nexus unlocked w tmobile and it has supersu installed alread. Was mine rooted?

my android version is 4.2 , the kernel says it was 3.0.31-gd5a18e0 built on nov 2? is that right?

Mine is stock.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353116268846.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353116268846.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 47

slosh74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just reset my phone too. I figured I have updates my phone from all ice cream sandwich updates to all jelly bean updates , now would be a good time to start fresh.

I too noticed a much another experience throughout the device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Yeah i did this too on both my gnexus and nexus 7 and got better experience with 4.2

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
One thing I have noticed that I DON'T like is it seems like my wifi perfomance sucks now. The phone doesn't hang on to wifi signals as well as it did previously. Mind you, previously I was running AOKP with a different baseband and kernel. Now I'm pure stock with factory kernel and baseband so that may be the issue. I'll go post in the troubleshooting thread as well

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
One thing I have noticed that I DON'T like is it seems like my wifi perfomance sucks now. The phone doesn't hang on to wifi signals as well as it did previously. Mind you, previously I was running AOKP with a different baseband and kernel. Now I'm pure stock with factory kernel and baseband so that may be the issue. I'll go post in the troubleshooting thread as well

Go into advanced Wi-Fi settings and un tick " avoid poor Wi-Fi connections". That may help.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Go into advanced Wi-Fi settings and un tick " avoid poor Wi-Fi connections". That may help.

I already have that unticked. I also tried playing with the battery manager option under wifi (I forget exactly what it was called. It was supposed to manage battery life while on wifi), as well as setting the wifi to never sleep, which is how I had it set before I flashed 4.2

I'm just backing everything up. My plan is to root and flash a different baseband to see if that helps at all. I'll try to post back in a couple hours. I'm gonna be at home, and sitting at my desk about 5 feet from the router, so I should be able to tell fairly quickly if it makes a difference. All my apps are the same, and how/when i use it is the same, so there are only 3 things that have changed:

1) Went from the latest AOKP ROM (based on 4.1) to stock 4.2
2) Went from Franco's M6 kernel to stock kernel -- and this shouldn't affect wifi as far as I know
3) Went from a North America specific baseband (UGLA1) to stock (XXsomething or other)

I'll start with what seems the most likely culprit -- the baseband -- and go from there.

(EDIT) I found a newer baseband. UGLC1, so that's what I'll be trying first. I bookmarked the link just in case.

Last edited:

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I already have that unticked. I also tried playing with the battery manager option under wifi (I forget exactly what it was called. It was supposed to manage battery life while on wifi), as well as setting the wifi to never sleep, which is how I had it set before I flashed 4.2

I'm just backing everything up. My plan is to root and flash a different baseband to see if that helps at all. I'll try to post back in a couple hours. I'm gonna be at home, and sitting at my desk about 5 feet from the router, so I should be able to tell fairly quickly if it makes a difference. All my apps are the same, and how/when i use it is the same, so there are only 3 things that have changed:

1) Went from the latest AOKP ROM (based on 4.1) to stock 4.2
2) Went from Franco's M6 kernel to stock kernel -- and this shouldn't affect wifi as far as I know
3) Went from a North America specific baseband (UGLA1) to stock (XXsomething or other)

I'll start with what seems the most likely culprit -- the baseband -- and go from there.

I'm curious to know how it works out. On a different note, and I feel like a broken record asking this. When you flashed stock 4.2, were the Nexus 4 wallpapers baked in?

I flashed 4.2 too but I did not get the new wallpapers. But I got the ota on my Nexus 7 and I got the new wallpapers.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used the stock launcher in a long time, but with 4.2 it seems there are 2 in there that I don't recall seeing before. Don't take my word for it though, I've been running Apex launcher for months and I don't remember which wallpapers were in there from 4.1 or if the 2 I don't recognize are new -- or simply just don't remember them.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious to know how it works out. On a different note, and I feel like a broken record asking this. When you flashed stock 4.2, were the Nexus 4 wallpapers baked in?

I flashed 4.2 too but I did not get the new wallpapers. But I got the ota on my Nexus 7 and I got the new wallpapers.

Nope. The GSM nexus update did not contain the new wallpapers. However, you can download them from Zedge. They have the wallpapers in all available resolutions for the nexus devices.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Okay..after two days of battling with the 4.2 update...I gave up..the OTA update did slow things down on the phone...I decided to hard reset the phone and install everything from scratch.
Now the phone is really smooth and responsive. I definitely recommend this option to everyone as a last resort.
On a separate note, I also feel that the lock screen widgets feature is half-baked. It does not look very polished in my opinion. Nonetheless, its good to see Google implement new features...which is what I love about Nexus program!

KlineAJ

Jul 8, 2010
www.KlineAJ.com
Patruns, now it works for me. Originally it did not before they updated it. Google is probably going to release an update soon that will smooth things out.

salamin

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi, i updated my galaxy nexus via OTA on 4.2 and find what i have read on each of this threads, buggy, with lags. I thought about doing a factory reset, but then i read somewhere that with just doing a Wipe Partition Cache will do the trick for the lags on 4.2. So i did it, and im much happier with the build!!

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I definitely agree that if you're having performance issues, you should withe clear system cache or factory reset.

What I did was kill two birds with one stone. Unlocked my device which factory reset it as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mightymikek83

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
When I lock the phone while listening to Google Music and then wake the phone up, I noticed the lock screen is now covering the music player. In 4.1, you were able to switch between songs from the lock screen. It's now behind the lock symbol and stutters. It won't let you switch and looks awful.

Anyone experience this?

trayes77

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
When I lock the phone while listening to Google Music and then wake the phone up, I noticed the lock screen is now covering the music player. In 4.1, you were able to switch between songs from the lock screen. It's now behind the lock symbol and stutters. It won't let you switch and looks awful.

Anyone experience this?

If you swipe down from the music widget you'll pull down a shade. Now you will be able to control music.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos