Can't adjust ringer volume on lockscreen since 4.2.2 update

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I loved that feature. Anyone else having this annoying problem?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, I do see why anything should work when the screen is locked. That is kinda the point of locking the screen. Unless of course you receive a phone call.

capt.ron

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, I do see why anything should work when the screen is locked. That is kinda the point of locking the screen. Unless of course you receive a phone call.

To me it's a convenience factor not having to go through the unlocking and re-locking just to lower the ringer volume (when entering somewhere you don't want your phone ringing loudly)...JMO

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
two options!
# 1 Press and hold power button to silent it
# 2 install power toggles and put toggle widget on your lock screen with volume toggle .

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Good suggestion with power toggles except that you have to take the phone out of your pocket and look at it. I liked being able to adjust the volume discretely without taking it out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Funny, someone in another thread is lamenting they cannot disable the ringer volume button like they did with their iPhone because they accidently hit it a lot. Guess you just can't please everyone..... ;)

Wayne J

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I love it when people's response to requested features are "you don't need that feature" or "that's a useless feature". Isn't that Apple's reply to most requests? If someone finds it useful, then its useful for them. It seems the obvious solution would be for Google to create the OPTION to enable such requested features as having the ability to adjust volume on the lock screen. If memory serves, Apple used to do the same kind of annoying things like removing features that people complained about, only to irritate the other half of the users who enjoyed that feature. Android is supposed to be about customizability, so it's pretty disappointing they would remove an existing feature instead of giving the option to disable it. Just my thoughts... :confused:

Matt Marston

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I too miss the feature. I'm guessing the change was made to avoid accidentally adjusting the volume when the phone is in a pocket or purse. But as the volume control was implemented pre-4.2.2 the screen had to be on too (out of standby). So if just the volume button was bumped, it wouldn't adjust the volume--I never had any problems with accidentally adjusting the volume when it wasn't in my hand (it does happen often when I hold the phone in landscape and am taking or showing pictures). The process was simple enough to do on purpose: tap the power button, then use the volume button but complex enough that it didn't just happen on its own.

As has already been suggested in another post, I think it would at least be nice to have it as an option.

Wayne J

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Matt. I never had a problem with accidentally bumping the volume either, since the screen has to be turned on first.

DefiantFubsy

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
This is a glum day for me.

The Power Button on my Galaxy Nexus doesn't work, so I used to only be able to unlock my phone with the volume button. Now that this has been taken away, are there any suitable options to get around it?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
This is a glum day for me.

The Power Button on my Galaxy Nexus doesn't work, so I used to only be able to unlock my phone with the volume button. Now that this has been taken away, are there any suitable options to get around it?

The only other thing I can think of that will trigger a screen wake up "at will" is connecting to a charge source. I think your only option is to repair the power button.

DefiantFubsy

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
no repairman wants to go near it because the screen is also cracked, which makes the repair just THAT MUCH riskier....

Shattered, pardon the pun.

Is there no app that allows for one to use any button to wake up the device?

Cameron Gunter

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Getting the upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 was the first time I actually was disappointed with a stock upgrade because I lost that ability to change the volume in the lock screen. I would even tell all my friends about the great feature of JB 4.2[.1] - that you could adjust your volume without making the "boop, boop" sound. It was GREAT for those times I'd be well into a meeting or class and realize that I hadn't already silenced my phone.

How can we either tell Google this or use perhaps root access to modify system settings to allow it?

***UPDATE***

So, I continued a little more research on the matter and found that there IS a way to control the volume from lock screen with the physical buttons!

When phone is in standby (screen is off):
  • press power button (enable the screen)
  • hold power button for 1 second (brings up the "power off" and "airplane mode" menu)
  • press volume up or down while that menu is on the screen (volume slider will appear above it and respond to your volume rocker!) :)
  • optionally press power button again (turn off screen)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress