facetime on android?

Kyle L

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
don't hate bro, i was searching online and i couldn't find much...xda mentioned they thought they could eventually come up with something but that was like a year ago or so...i just simply posed the question, if you dont have info don't respond with sarcasm thanks

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Its an Apple brand. Like most things of such, Apple tries to ensure it stays only on Apple products. That and I am not sure its a stand alone app. I think its built into the iOS dialer.

Have you heard of this app called Skype? Works on Android 2.3 devices with a front camera and iOS for video calling.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Another suggestion would be Yahoo Messenger, it has video chat. But if you're on GB then don't bother because you can't use the front facing camera. Froyo, then good to go.

Kyle L

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've got Skype installed so I'm good with that and froyo right now thanks, I was just wondering BC I'm sure I'm not the only one with a few friends with an iPhone and just wanted to see if it was possible thanks

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Lets make this easy, Facetime is a dedicated Apple app and the company that supplies the service to Apple does not function with and other devices and unless a method happens to hack the Facetime access service I do not see it happening...

I used Tango to chat with customers and friends that have iPhone and it worked OK..

a22shady

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
My Daughter got an Ipod touch so We were talking about this the other day. I would have thought the android phones would have something similiar factory for th phones with front camera's. But basically we just decided to use Skype and it worked, wasn't the greatest video ever but for driving in a car it worked well enough

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My Daughter got an Ipod touch so We were talking about this the other day. I would have thought the android phones would have something similiar factory for th phones with front camera's. But basically we just decided to use Skype and it worked, wasn't the greatest video ever but for driving in a car it worked well enough
Why would limiting yourself to the iPhone's Facetime Wifi-only technology be a good thing? Especially while driving in a car? There are lots of alternatives that can be installed on both Android and iPhone to enable video chat. And most are not limited to Wifi-only. Yes, if you load third party apps you can get the iPhone's Facetime to work over 3G (since there is no VZW 4G iPhone) but if you're gonna load a third party video app, why not make it one that is compatible with video chat to PCs, Laptops, Other Cell phones over a cellular connection? Just my thoughts.

-Frank

dwall021

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Is there a file or apk we can install on our rooted tbolts to get facetime capability or no...just wondering

The correct answer is...Not yet. Apple stated facetime would be an open standard with public api's but as of today they still havent release them yet. So until then its not possible

theRalph

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The correct answer is...Not yet. Apple stated facetime would be an open standard with public api's but as of today they still havent release them yet. So until then its not possible

^---That.

I am surprised more people don't remember that this was supposed to be an open standard.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why would limiting yourself to the iPhone's Facetime Wifi-only technology be a good thing? Especially while driving in a car? There are lots of alternatives that can be installed on both Android and iPhone to enable video chat. And most are not limited to Wifi-only. Yes, if you load third party apps you can get the iPhone's Facetime to work over 3G (since there is no VZW 4G iPhone) but if you're gonna load a third party video app, why not make it one that is compatible with video chat to PCs, Laptops, Other Cell phones over a cellular connection? Just my thoughts.

-Frank

I like how people call the front-facing camera on an iPhone "Facetime". That said, iOS 6 is supposed to allow for Facetime over cellular.

Downloading other apps that allow you to use the front-facing camera over cellular isn't "iPhone's Facetime over 3G". Just saying.

Skype is the best answer if you need to talk to people on iOS.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

beperry1

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Google talk has been on every Android device i've ever had. It has video chat. I can't believe we're having this conversation...

Ouch...it's a Razr, Maxx.

moodyj

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
FYI - I have HTC One X and skype is really unstable on it. I think when Microsoft bought skype they didn't like Android phones using it as their version of video chat.

edfritz

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
As of October 2012, Apple has not released their propitiatory and iOS infused Facetime app for Android devices. I would assume that you will never see such an app from Apple...EVER!

But, Google has incorporated their own 'Facetime' app in the newer versions of their Android OS (Since v. 2.3.4 - announced in April of 2011). This is called Google Talk or just 'Talk' in your app drawer. It is free to use, works just like Facetime but has benefits that Facetime doesn't (or didn't in pre-iOS 6). Here is an excerpt of an article that tells more about it:
- - - - -
"...The updated Google Talk will let consumers voice- and video-chat with Google Talk users on Android tablets, as well as on computers using Google Talk with Gmail, over 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi connections. Apple?s FaceTime video chat, in comparison, only works over Wi-Fi connections.

In addition to being more flexible than Apple?s option, Google Talk will also overlay text sent via instant messaging on top of your video chat screen, so you can conceivably follow links sent during chats..."
- - - - -
You can also turn off the video feature while still in the call and talk voice only and use most of your phone's other functions or apps.

Unfortunately, if your iPhone friends want to video chat with you, they need to buy an Android phone because Talk and Facetime do not work with each other. Simply put, Steve Jobs would never allow the two to work together. He hated Google and Android to the darkest and deepest pits of his miserable and greedy soul. Thus you have seen Apple's failed attempt to create a better than Google's map/GPS app just to eliminate everything Google on Apple devices. It's a hate thing. You might find some kind of hack or crosstalking app in the future, but as for today, you can only "facetime" with other Apple users and you can "Google Talk" with only Android and Gmail users. If you want to cross platform video chat, then listen to the rest of the advice on this blog about Skype, Tango, Qik, or other third party video chat apps.

Personally, I prefer to just voice call someone, get the information I called about and then say "Thanks...Bye!". It's usually even quicker than texting and waiting for a text back. For those out-of-town trips away from the wife, I've done the video chat but both of us have agreed that it doesn't improve our communication any. We prefer to just voice chat only now. Other than that, I have no real need to video chat with anyone. But, that's me. I hope this info helps.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have been using an app called ooVoo on my computers for years, and now I use it on my Android. Friends or relatives with iPhones use it too and it works great! You can video chat with up to 11 people (12 with you included) at the same time! I stopped using Skype a long time ago and have been very happy with ooVoo.

Sent from my MB855 (Motorola Photon 4G World Phone) using Android Central Forums