Will there be a new clean tool?

MomaDave

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I was just wondering if any devs (scott) are working on a new clean tool to deal with the new OTA update? I'm only temp rooted for de-bloat and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm not really interested in full root, but it is nice not to have bloatware. Any plans or are devs focus now on custom ROMS and perm rooting? Thanks in advance for any info.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I think you're gonna be hard pressed to find a new temp root method now that we can have perm root. That would be like trying to feed people chips when we're able to get into the buffet.
Out of curiosity though, why wouldn't you want perm root?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I think you're gonna be hard pressed to find a new temp root method now that we can have perm root. That would be like trying to feed people chips when we're able to get into the buffet.
Out of curiosity though, why wouldn't you want perm root?

Couldn't have put it much better.

MomaDave

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm nervous about possibly hosing my phone... I don't know much about the process or risks. I'm a NOOB! Seems more confusing now with the OTA update. I would consider it with some hand holding. What are custom ROMS? What are the noticable benefits?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
The short version of this conversation goes like this. There's no way currently to brick your phone by unlocking etc... There's always someone here or on one of the other forums willing to kick in and help walk you through it. Heck, you've got two in this thread alone.

If you do like me and ignore anything that comes from Verizon or the manufacturer then the rooting/ROM scene becomes a lot easier. Its' all about what you want to do. If debloat is all, then that's really easy. All you need to do is follow the directions or work with someone to make it all understandable.

MomaDave

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I just might go for it here soon. Known benefits I'm seeking are custom debloat, hotspot w/o VZ charging me. Not sure what else as of now... With perm root, can I actually remove bloat or is it just disabling like the clean tool? With unlock/root can the phone keep sense on? Will the process have to be done all over when ICS finally arrives?

I love how helpful and cool you guys are about assisting noobs! THANK YOU!

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Some very important things to know about bloat removal:

There are a few different methods available to remove the bloatware once root has been achieved. The first is via a method like the CleanTOOL, which disables the bloat apps but leaves them on the phone still.

The second is via an app such as Titanium Backup, which (premium version) allows you again to freeze/disable the bloat programs, but leaves them on the phone. It also allows you to delete the bloat programs altogether, but that has negative consequences that I'll detail in a bit.

The third is using a explorer type program (that's essentially the Android equivalent of double clicking "My Computer" on a Windows based PC), most would recommend Root Explorer. Using that you can navigate to the actual location where the bloat apps are stored, and then delete them.

So what could possibly be bad about getting rid of the bloat? Well, if you plan on keeping the stock ROM/operating system then an OTA update will no install if the bloat is deleted or disabled. To get the OTA update to install, you'd need to re-enable or re-install the bloat, and then accept the update. This absolutely needs to be taken into consideration if you're staying on the stock ROM/operating system. Make sure that whatever you do can be undone, or else you'll find yourself in deeper in unfamiliar territory using a custom boot loader to flash a stock RUU. Sounds daunting at first, but in all honesty you've got a community to fall back on with knowledgeable members.

Uhm... my train of thought has been derailed... This is awkward lol.

MomaDave

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
As it stands now what can I expect with the OTA based on my details? I haven't been prompted for the OTA yet...

I'm currently temp rooted with clean tool 1.2 and customized the .bat file of what I wanted on and disabled as far as bloat. Other than that, I'm stock. Should I enable all my bloat, grab the OTA and then make my decision to root or not? Will the OTA attempt to install automatically even with temp root?

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
This OTA is not an optional installation, it will sneak up on you sooner or later when you're on the stock ROM, temp rooted or not. The only thing that seems to stop it are a lack of the pre-installed bloat apps, but at that point it becomes an annoyance constantly downloading and trying to install but failing.

The OTA is just reported to be a patch/fix for a few bugs and other minor details.

If you take the OTA, the rooting process becomes different, just be aware of that.

And finally, about making your decision whether or not to root, I have a feeling you're going to end up rooted in the end. I feel your curiosity about it is just a precursor for it in the future. :)

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
The OTA is a motherf**cker out of hell. It forces an installation every damn time, even if it leads to a red triangle because you removed bloat or whatever.
Anyway, don't enable the OTA just yet, MomaDave. The rooting process is needlessly increased in difficulty. You'll root eventually, you just don't know it yet. I was in your shoes once, padawan.

MomaDave

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
The OTA is a motherf**cker out of hell. It forces an installation every damn time, even if it leads to a red triangle because you removed bloat or whatever.
Anyway, don't enable the OTA just yet, MomaDave. The rooting process is needlessly increased in difficulty. You'll root eventually, you just don't know it yet. I was in your shoes once, padawan.

Have things calmed down as far as the nasty OTA? Is rooting going ok now?

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
MY opinion, perm root now and custom ROM. You can get cleanRom GB or ICS version from Scotts ROMs. I use the GB 1.5.5 version, no reason to update yet. I will go with the ICS soon I think.

The update now isn't worth it. My phone and all functions are terrific and believe you will be happy with your choice.

Been on Blackberry for years, new to Android too, but am a techie for a living. Some of the directions are a bit confusing, but once you work them out all will be good in Rezound land.

A lot a people on many Android forums have done a lot of work on this and you won't go wrong. I'm waiting to see if CyangenMod becomes official with ICS for the Rezound, (that's just sort of a "standard" in Android land, from what I understand. Not necessisarily better but has a big development community),if not or if it takes too long, I will be on Scotts ICS ROM which he is working on and constantly improving. Once I make the ICS ROM jump going to stick with it either way.

The only time I'll ever be stock again is the 20 mins or so it will take me to get a new android home (in 2 years after contract renewal) :D

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Scott's CleanROM 2.3 ICS works great. Only noticeable bug is the lack of media streaming over bluetooth, but Scott says that won't be fixed until htc releases an official ics update.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Have things calmed down as far as the nasty OTA? Is rooting going ok now?

What I meant by "rooting is needlessly increased in difficulty" is that you need to unlock, install a custom recovery, and then flash. Whereas the previous process just required unlocking & zerg rushing.
"Difficulty" was probably a poor choice of word. I should've gone with tedious or prolonged or something.

Reactions: VidJunky

Ravaloft

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm nervous about possibly hosing my phone... I don't know much about the process or risks. I'm a NOOB! Seems more confusing now with the OTA update. I would consider it with some hand holding. What are custom ROMS? What are the noticable benefits?

+1. This goes for me too.

Edit: Plenty tech savvy. Just nervous about the phone for some reason. Bootloader is unlocked though. Will attempt a root later on.

Last edited:

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
For some of us unlocking is a chore for those of you it's natural. Yes I've given it a whirl to no effect of wasting two hrs and still stock.
I've even owned the GN with ICS and personally didn't like it. So for now it just be nice if another clean tool with temp root would work after the update so those of us who aren't as tech savy could just get rid of the bloatware.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
For some of us unlocking is a chore for those of you it's natural. Yes I've given it a whirl to no effect of wasting two hrs and still stock.
I've even owned the GN with ICS and personally didn't like it. So for now it just be nice if another clean tool with temp root would work after the update so those of us who aren't as tech savy could just get rid of the bloatware.

I've worked with so many people that aren't "tech savvy" that it's not funny. Honestly there are plenty of us willing to help and all it takes on your side is patience and being able to report back exactly what's going on since we can't see things from the other side of the internet.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I guess someone may create an "easy" button for those less technically astute or afraid of seeming dumb by asking questions/requesting assistance.

It would be nice if the manufacturers and carriers could work together on this, but in reality most of the users for any given device aren't interested in unlock, root, s-off, bloat etc. etc.

They just take what they get and make use of it. When I had my original Moto Razr (remember?) it was just a phone so I didn't even think about it. Now that smartphones are here, well they are mobile computers and there are many things you can do to make them better at. Even non devs can make improvements just finding out how to do things, either accidently or through twiddling. Then share that information out in a forum like this.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
OK. I've about had it with the OTA. I lost everything once to get it and now I'm willing to lose everything again to get rid of it, but I'm still nervous. I've read a lot of the posts in this thread and all the reassurances have my confidence up. I applied for the unlock at HTC, but backed out for fear that somehow, someway, something would go awry and I'd be stuck with a device that I couldn't return, exchange, or have serviced, but I feel Verizon is leaving me little choice. I saw where Dovahkiin said that after excepting the OTA things get a bit more [ ] dicey. Will someone point me to a current, after OTA, root method?

Just a few things that I thought might help those offering me guidance point me in the best direction;
I would like to stay with the stock ROM and keep Sense.
I would like the benefits of Titanium to protect my data in my apps.
I would like the ability to freeze unwanted apps.
And if at all possible the ability to revert back to something stockish if I do have an insurance claim.

Correct me if I'm wrong; to be able to WiFi tether you have to run a custom ROM.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DnsBlk