Remove wifi notification (root only)

BostonBeats88

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Remove wifi notification (droid-life article, root only)

All of the WIFI prompts (that I assume VZW put on this phone) really annoy me. The ongoing one is a pain, but also the pop up window that comes up when you are near a recognized network. GRR!

Rooting tonight for sure. Thanks for the article!

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I haven't even received my phone yet but I am following like a feen to figure out how to unverizon this phone as quickly as possible lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Welp...costed $2.99 for the app but no more ongoing notification. w00t

Screenshot_2012-07-09-13-51-49.png

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

SQLite Editor which is suggested in the article. One thing of note is that the “wifi_networks_available_notification_on” may not necessarily be line 86. Believe it was 10 on mine so it may vary by device.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

ya it was 10 in mine also, I sat there scratching my head for a while before I made the adjustment :)

Kench33

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What exactly is this notification? I'm at work and haven't heard anything about it. My s3 should be in soon

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

Read this at work and was very happy. This sounds terrible and will give me an incentive to root early I guess.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

What exactly is this notification? I'm at work and haven't heard anything about it. My s3 should be in soon

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Central Forums

Below is what it looked like before the change. The wifi notification was always there.

Screenshot_2012-07-05-16-32-59.png

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

that replaced the wifi toggle from the control panel above it, they want to constantly remind you to use wifi.

KrazyRogue

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site

There always needs to be something that Verizon has to do to ruin the experience of their phone (bootloader, persistent wifi notification), ugh!

markhallyo

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

Thing is, once you disable the notification, you've gotta go into settings via a couple more clicks to turn wifi on...only other option is to get a widget toggle which isn't too bad I guess. I'm waiting to get rid of it til I can put it in my notification toggles bar.

jchristianh

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I was going to root my phone eventually anyways, but did so sooner just to get rid of this crap. However, as someone above mentioned about the WiFi prompts - is there any way to remove these? This is what really irritates me so than the on going notification did. I feel like I'm being treated like a frikken child who has to be told what to do.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I was going to root my phone eventually anyways, but did so sooner just to get rid of this crap. However, as someone above mentioned about the WiFi prompts - is there any way to remove these? This is what really irritates me so than the on going notification did. I feel like I'm being treated like a frikken child who has to be told what to do.

Believe there's also an entry for that if you have SQLite Editor but you can also disable it by using AnyCut to create a shortcut to the hidden menu. Install the app, run it and choose New Shortcut-Application and then select HiddenMenuWifiOffload. Open the shortcut placed on your homescreen and check disable. Also works for non-rooted users.

jchristianh

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, but would rather make the change via SQLite though. Do you happen to know the key? It's not on the linked article on disabling the on going notification.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Yea, the 4G/animated activity icon gets replaced by a WiFi one regardless.

He's talking about the actual toggle. All of the other versions have the wifi toggle in the pulldown with the others but verizon replaced it with the persistent notification. The answer would be no though. You're still stuck with the toggles it shipped with.

As for using SQLite to turn off the popup, looks like it may be under the record wifi_use_intelligent_mode (#1333 under system on mine). Changing it to 0 seems to disable the popup. Anycut is still an option for non-rooted users though.

jchristianh

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Ahh ok, sorry, misundertood the set of icons he was referring to.

I didn't have that key on mine so I added it with a value of 0 and rebooted the phone after disconnecting from WiFi. Upon reboot I launched Facebook which still threw that prompt at me. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katiebaby3110