Update coming to HTC EVO 4G LTE

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Update coming to HTC evo 4g lte

I'm tired of these games, my next phone will be a Nexus.
Easy to say, not easy to swallow.

Nexus = ONE choice (at least that is how it works right now). It might not be the size you want. It might not have the storage you want. It might not be on the carrier you want. Etc... It would be nice if ALL high-end phones were "Nexus", so we could choose the device that best meets our requirements and yet still get a stock Android experience that is updated consistently and quickly. Gotta dream.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I think right now Sammy is the best of both worlds, better hardware (SD and bigger screen to name 2) than the nexus and better support than HTC

I'm trying to hold out for the note 3

Kizzmocat

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site

I figured it out, the sprint care people were told it was the first TWOS DAY in december, thus we were told Dec 2nd, but i have been smart enough to figure out the secret htc/sprint code, it will be announced on twosday! Duh! :banghead:

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

I agree, because the Nexus phones never have issues and they always get the update within minutes of release. And those updates never have bugs (hello Google. I'm the month of December. Remember me?). And they always have the most impressive hardware. You do realize that everyone is getting pissy about an update, that Sprint never announced, not being released?

I think right now Sammy is the best of both worlds, better hardware (SD and bigger screen to name 2) than the nexus and better support than HTC

I can totally see your point, and there's a lot of truth to it. But it's funny that at this time last year you couldn't have really said either of those things. Samsung's support and update history was horrible until the GS3.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I think right now Sammy is the best of both worlds, better hardware (SD and bigger screen to name 2)

Your statement is not accurate. It is not "better" hardware. The screen is much worse looking, the build quality (IMHO) is not as nice, the case is poorer, it has no camera button, touchwiz is not as nice as Sense, and it has no kickstand. And the Evo LTE *does* have SD. Bigger screen? If you think anyone will notice 0.1" difference in size, good luck. About the only advantage I see of the GS3 (supposedly what you are touting) is a quick swap battery, and for that you end up with a crappy back and (according to most reports) a shorter battery life (and the Evo LTE battery can be replaced in 5 min), although it is an advantage to some people.

sgt. slaughter

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I figured it out, the sprint care people were told it was the first TWOS DAY in december, thus we were told Dec 2nd, but i have been smart enough to figure out the secret htc/sprint code, it will be announced on twosday! Duh! :banghead:

Haha some good work there. Hehe

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Ok I know we are all upset but lets think about a few things real quick. Remember when the original Evo was updated first and had the correct marketing behind it? Samsung pissed off many with the Epic when they didn't update it in a timely manner. Now it seems as though Samsung learned their lesson with the SG3 and gave it correct marketing and timely updates (doesn't make it a better phone). Now HTC has hired a new marketing guy and I'm sure they will learn from the bad word of mouth even though we "tech heads" are a very small customer base for them. With that being said companies will have to realize that although we are the small customer base we are the majority that the normal user comes to for advise. So until Google comes out with a Nexus with the features and build quality of HTC I will stick with HTC. Now I know like most we would all love for Google to ask HTC to make a Nexus phone, it would sell like hotcakes and push HTC back to the top.

Ice

klamer

May 14, 2010
Visit site

I agree, because the Nexus phones never have issues and they always get the update within minutes of release. And those updates never have bugs (hello Google. I'm the month of December. Remember me?). And they always have the most impressive hardware. You do realize that everyone is getting pissy about an update, that Sprint never announced, not being released?

Regardless of your snark, I can accept all of that.
I have a Nexus 7 tablet and I can take that experience over this "My mom cooks for Dan Hesse and he said that the EVO LTE will get JB on or about the second half of 2012....or by mid 2013"

I'm not saying the Nexus line is without faults, nothing is perfect; it just cuts out the middleman.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Your statement is not accurate. It is not "better" hardware. The screen is much worse looking, the build quality (IMHO) is not as nice, the case is poorer, it has no camera button, touchwiz is not as nice as Sense, and it has no kickstand. And the Evo LTE *does* have SD. Bigger screen? If you think anyone will notice 0.1" difference in size, good luck. About the only advantage I see of the GS3 (supposedly what you are touting) is a quick swap battery, and for that you end up with a crappy back and (according to most reports) a shorter battery life (and the Evo LTE battery can be replaced in 5 min), although it is an advantage to some people.

My hardware comparison was to the nexus (as I said). I've been nothing but impressed with the Evo's hardware. And the gs3 is the easy reference since it's definitely the direct competitor to the evo, but for me I would go with the note like I said (personal preference). The "crappy back" I don't think is that crappy and the note 2 has great battery life.

But my point is in general people who go with a non nexus are always jealous of the quick updates but they go with the sammys and htcs because they have better hardware options. And right now Sammy has some nice hardware and getting more love than we're getting. Instead I'm reading about the One VX, the DNA, the X+ or whatever the hell it's called. There will probably be a DNA+ and we'll still be speculating about our next update coming (insert the next tuesday here)

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

It does.... Trust me bud.

Sgt, if it worked that way, then why doesn't all GS3 owners on Sprint have JB? Why doesn't all international One X phones run JB right now either? I'm sorry to burst your bubble, Sgt.

sgt. slaughter

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Sgt, if it worked that way, then why doesn't all GS3 owners on Sprint have JB? Why doesn't all international One X phones run JB right now either? I'm sorry to burst your bubble, Sgt.

Lol well one is bc that's how sammy runs their ship evidently with that regard.... HTC for the matter does not do it that way when releasing for Sprint OTAs... The most delay you'd see when trying to manually pull an OTA on HTC android sprint device is a couple hrs at max.

HTC releases the Int version OTA in smaller sections of the world bc that is logic and makes sense as there are far more of those than EVOs and far more variables at hand there too when they make that kind of rollout...

Go back and read that leak doc even... It says client initiated for X days and then X amount pushed for X days and progressively more on after....

There's no bubble to burst here bud, I know for a 100% fact I'm right on this. Been around a long time, and thoroughly know what I'm talking about.

smokin221

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Wow nearly one thousand posts in just over two weeks. Don't get me wrong I have contact issues and would love me some jelly bean love, also this provides some very amusing reading but it's A little out of hand.

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Lol well one is bc that's how sammy runs their ship evidently with that regard.... HTC for the matter does not do it that way when releasing for Sprint OTAs... The most delay you'd see when trying to manually pull an OTA on HTC android sprint device is a couple hrs at max.

HTC releases the Int version OTA in smaller sections of the world bc that is logic and makes sense as there are far more of those than EVOs and far more variables at hand there too when they make that kind of rollout...

Go back and read that leak doc even... It says client initiated for X days and then X amount pushed for X days and progressively more on after....

There's no bubble to burst here bud, I know for a 100% fact I'm right on this. Been around a long time, and thoroughly know what I'm talking about.

I'd much rather go with what you say, but no matter what, looks like we're gonna be waiting awhile

sgt. slaughter

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I'd much rather go with what you say, but no matter what, looks like we're gonna be waiting awhile

Correct... Though awhile can have many different definitions... ;) ..... Just isn't gonna be today is for certain...hehe

geomatrix

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Anyone else do there research on what to expect with the new update? If the rumor of HTC pulling the update back to tweak some things, I hope they add the wallpaper scrolling feature back in from what they took out in the sense 4+ and they take out the power saver always in the notification bar thing. Here's to hoping!

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Regardless of your snark, I can accept all of that.
I have a Nexus 7 tablet and I can take that experience over this "My mom cooks for Dan Hesse and he said that the EVO LTE will get JB on or about the second half of 2012....or by mid 2013"

I'm not saying the Nexus line is without faults, nothing is perfect; it just cuts out the middleman.

It wasn't snark. It was thinly veiled contempt. My point was exactly what you stated, that every device has its own issues, including the Nexus devices. But to say that having a Nexus eliminates the middle man is just plain inaccurate. Ask Verizon owners. It's more of a CDMA issue, so if you're going Nexus on AT&T or T-Mo, that's a different story.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Ask Verizon owners. It's more of a CDMA issue, so if you're going Nexus on AT&T or T-Mo, that's a different story.

No, it is not a "CDMA issue". There is nothing inherent in that technology that would make or allow a carrier be more or less prone to locking down a phone, charging differently, installing bloatware, dragging out updates, having limited devices, not welcoming unlocked devices, etc. It is just a communication spec. Contrast/compare Sprint to Verizon (both CDMA) and you will see a lot of difference in many such policies.

It really is unfortunate that carriers are allowed to sell phones. Consumers would be far better off if they could buy whatever phone they want from where-ever they want and were not locked into punitive contracts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itay85