Email app that I can actually use

dqdude

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my Nexus 10 last week. :)

I'm also using a gnex on vzw.

I've found that the stock email program on my gnex is pretty much useless for my pop3 account. I want something better for my nexus 10. I am used to using Outlook if that helps.

My problem on my gnex is that all of my emails aren't loaded. I get 20 with an option for "more". I want something for my 10 that will have all my emails similar to outlook.

Any suggestions?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my Nexus 10 last week. :)

I'm also using a gnex on vzw.

I've found that the stock email program on my gnex is pretty much useless for my pop3 account. I want something better for my nexus 10. I am used to using Outlook if that helps.

My problem on my gnex is that all of my emails aren't loaded. I get 20 with an option for "more". I want something for my 10 that will have all my emails similar to outlook.

Any suggestions?
well, its a mobile device so it would actually make sense to download only last 20 emails and load more when needed.
No one wants to download 2-3 Gb of email data to a mobile devices and that would make sense only on PC.
and why are you using POP3 when IMAP is a lot better

dqdude

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your input but I want an email app that gives me all of my emails.

Why bother reply if you have nothing comstructive to share?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
First he was pointing out that this is a mobile device with limited resources. Unlike a desktop that can store everything in a local PST file for outlook, a tablet will be better used by loading the content on the fly as you need it.

Now I can't be sure of this but I do believe that there is an option for days to sync. When I look at that I see an option for ALL. Have you tried that.

I am also a little confused as to what you mean by it only shows 20. I am sure my Nexus 10 is showing allot more then that. What email icon do you click on to load your email.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
well, its a mobile device so it would actually make sense to download only last 20 emails and load more when needed.
No one wants to download 2-3 Gb of email data to a mobile devices and that would make sense only on PC.
and why are you using POP3 when IMAP is a lot better

It was constructive. POP email works by downloading full messages from the server, and due to data plans and storage size limitations, most folks would NOT want their entire mailbox downloaded to their device, just recent messages. My work email box is currently at ~3.5 GB, and I definitely don't want to consume that much of internal storage with old emails. I understand you may want more than 20 at a time...just that when using POP the amount of data you're downloading is a concern to many.

Using IMAP, however, is a better protocol for several reasons. For one, it is fully synced with the remote server, so you don't have to deal with messages in different statuses across your various mail clients. Also, IMAP clients only need to pull down the header info for messages until you actually open them, so there's a lot less to download if you want to be able to see your entire mailbox.

You may not have access to IMAP, but if you do I'd suggest it over POP3

Try the K9 app, its widely regarded as the best for non-Exchange accounts, and its free to boot!

I've used K9. It's simple in it's interface, but it is free and has a lot of configurable options when it comes to setting up POP3 and IMAP mail accounts, which is awesome. I believe K9 app is actually a branch of the original Android email app that was developed before GMail acquired Android...could be wrong about that though. Definitely worth checking out if you don't like the default email client.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I did share insight on what a resource limited devices is suppose to be doing. you didnt take it.
you not taking it doesnt mean i didnt share.

DEADF15H

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow, thanks for the explanation on IMAP vs POP, quite informative.
I'm coming from a BB 9810 to a Note 2 on ATT, just today. Researching my options for Outlook syncing with GMail and Contacts. Guess I need to research the IMAP vs POP as well.
Cost is not a major issue, getting it to work is.

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Testing K9 now...thanks for the help

Happy to help! :)

Wow, thanks for the explanation on IMAP vs POP, quite informative.
I'm coming from a BB 9810 to a Note 2 on ATT, just today. Researching my options for Outlook syncing with GMail and Contacts. Guess I need to research the IMAP vs POP as well.
Cost is not a major issue, getting it to work is.

If you are using Exchange (a possibility if you are using Outlook) then I'd recommend you take a look at Touchdown - its fantastic (but only works with Exchange)