HTC One Speakerphone Problem, Help Needed!

nev7

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys I'm on my second new HTC One handset since the 19th March and I'm beginning to lose hope! During a call if I use my speakerphone the person on the other end of the line experiences a loud, intermittent, feedback/interference noise. This only happens when I'm on speakerphone. Phones4u who I got the phone off advised me to do a hard reset which I did having no effect. They've replaced the phone with a brand new handset which I've received today but it has the same problem as the first. I've called HTC tech support and the guy basically said to send it back to Phones4u and if the 3rd phone has the same issue to call them back and they'd report it to their seniors. Is there anything I can do? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys I'm on my second new HTC One handset since the 19th March and I'm beginning to lose hope! During a call if I use my speakerphone the person on the other end of the line experiences a loud, intermittent, feedback/interference noise. This only happens when I'm on speakerphone. Phones4u who I got the phone off advised me to do a hard reset which I did having no effect. They've replaced the phone with a brand new handset which I've received today but it has the same problem as the first. I've called HTC tech support and the guy basically said to send it back to Phones4u and if the 3rd phone has the same issue to call them back and they'd report it to their seniors. Is there anything I can do? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Just guessing here but when you have it on speakerphone is sound coming out of the bottom speaker where the normal phone microphone is? I could see the mic picking up the sound from the other end and looping it back constantly. Could be a software issue? You said it was intermittent so does it seem like anything sets it off or is more likely to make it happen?

nev7

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
It seems like the phone is picking up a signal that is causing the noise. I live in a block of 12 flats and if I'm stood outside the noise doesn't happen but as soon as I go inside my flat it starts again. I've tried turning the wireless and mobile internet off but it didn't make a difference, I even unplugged my router, no change. The only thing I can think of is that when my neighbor moved in to the flat above me last year my internet signal went downhill and I had to change the channel on my router. I'm at my wits end!

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
It seems like the phone is picking up a signal that is causing the noise. I live in a block of 12 flats and if I'm stood outside the noise doesn't happen but as soon as I go inside my flat it starts again. I've tried turning the wireless and mobile internet off but it didn't make a difference, I even unplugged my router, no change. The only thing I can think of is that when my neighbor moved in to the flat above me last year my internet signal went downhill and I had to change the channel on my router. I'm at my wits end!

Definitely sounds like some sort of interference, I think you might just be stuck with not using the speakerphone. If you can, try borrowing a bluetooth speakerphone and see if the same thing happens?

GB66

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue. I picked up my new HTC One yesterday and today (as I type) I am on a conference call . As soon as I turn the speaker on, the guys at the other end of the line report interference noise. The only way to resolve the issue is to go on mute or turn the speaker back off.

I haven't called HTC yet, but I very much doubt a factory reset is going to make the slightest bit of difference. I'm not impressed and suspect I will be returning this otherwise very good phone to my provider.

Such a shame.

Charles Lambton

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if anyone else is having these issues and if it has something to do with the international version or not. Can anyone else report in on if their speakerphones are acting up? Also GB66, do you live in a heavily populated urban area with a large number of wireless signals the same as nev7?

nev7

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue. I picked up my new HTC One yesterday and today (as I type) I am on a conference call . As soon as I turn the speaker on, the guys at the other end of the line report interference noise. The only way to resolve the issue is to go on mute or turn the speaker back off.

I haven't called HTC yet, but I very much doubt a factory reset is going to make the slightest bit of difference. I'm not impressed and suspect I will be returning this otherwise very good phone to my provider.

Such a shame.
Yes this is exactly my problem too! After nearly two weeks of searching the net this is the first time someone else has reported the same issue. I'm on my second handset and have tried hard resets and all sorts of different settings on both to no avail. I really like this phone and don't want to return it again but the speakerphone is a big feature on a phone for me. Is this going to be a big problem for HTC once the One is rolled out more and more?

Last edited:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
HTC is doing a demo in New York. I might go into the city to check it out soon. If they let me make a phone call, I'll test this out.
If radio and TV signals are the issue, it will show up at Columbus Circle. Then again, it could be just the phone.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

nev7

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
HTC is doing a demo in New York. I might go into the city to check it out soon. If they let me make a phone call, I'll test this out.
If radio and TV signals are the issue, it will show up at Columbus Circle. Then again, it could be just the phone.

If you do get the opportunity remember you have to have your handset on speakerphone and only the receiver of the call can hear the noise interference. Good luck!

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If you do get the opportunity remember you have to have your handset on speakerphone and only the receiver of the call can hear the noise interference. Good luck!

I fully understand. Sadly, I couldn't make it into the city as I have an early diner appointment. But they are doing this again on the 11th so ill be there then.
Silly AC, why didn't they announce this yesterday? I would have went early.

mcelmeel17

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
This might sound retarded but I think I heard in some other thread about turning off NFC and reporting positive results. I might be completely off base cause I don't know the logistics of it but its worth a try.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

nev7

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
This might sound retarded but I think I heard in some other thread about turning off NFC and reporting positive results. I might be completely off base cause I don't know the logistics of it but its worth a try.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I've tried turning the NFC off and it had no effect, where else is this being discussed?:)

GB66

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I live in a block of flats and there are perhaps 4 strong wireless signals that the puhone detects and another 4 which are much weaker.

I plan to test the speakerphone issue tomorrow at work where there are also a number of WAPs and will report back my findings.

nev7

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I live in a block of flats and there are perhaps 4 strong wireless signals that the puhone detects and another 4 which are much weaker.

I plan to test the speakerphone issue tomorrow at work where there are also a number of WAPs and will report back my findings.

How did you get on? Are you returning the phone?

GB66

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I can now reproduce this issue everytime. The problem only occurs if you turn the speakerphone on and move the phone near another electrical device. As soon as the phone is moved close the microphone starts to pickup electrical interference the noise if which is transmitted to the other caller.

I called HTC and they have passed this over to their engineers for testing. In the meantime I'm swapping the handset for another HTC one and will repeat my tests.

I forgot to mention one other very important thing: the other caller only hears the interference noise if they are on speaker as well or using something like a conferencephone (I tested against both)

maerlim

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like an issue with that fancy dual-phase microphone. Or that crazy voltage you have standard in your houses in Europe. :)

nev7

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I can now reproduce this issue everytime. The problem only occurs if you turn the speakerphone on and move the phone near another electrical device. As soon as the phone is moved close the microphone starts to pickup electrical interference the noise if which is transmitted to the other caller.

I called HTC and they have passed this over to their engineers for testing. In the meantime I'm swapping the handset for another HTC one and will repeat my tests.

I forgot to mention one other very important thing: the other caller only hears the interference noise if they are on speaker as well or using something like a conferencephone (I tested against both)

Thanks for the update, strangely for me it doesn't matter whether the other person is on speakerphone or not:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174