Why exactly does iOS 7 need to be 64bit?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
NONE of that was what I was even referring to. Am talking about BASIC look and feel things. Can I put a different launcher on a stock ios device? No i cannot. Different keyboard? Nope. About all I can do is change the order of icons and my wallpaper. Oooh.

But to your other points...who cares about movies or music being limited in some way? They are not the only place to get movies or music from. i don't even ding apple on that point, yet you ding Google for it. Ridiculious. Also while it is true you can only download individual tracks back twice, you can do dumps of your entire collection more then that.

I honestly don't know why there are so many Google/Android bashers in this thread. Love Apple? Great. There are sites for that. But this one, is an Android one. It's like walking into Wendy's and going on and on about how In and Out's burgers are better. Okay...so go to In and Out then!

Thing is Android fabrics come here and out of there ignorance start bashing Apple products. Oh BTW I've seen far more fandroids on Apple websites then Apple supporters on this website.

Posted via Android Central App

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
NONE of that was what I was even referring to. Am talking about BASIC look and feel things. Can I put a different launcher on a stock ios device? No i cannot. Different keyboard? Nope. About all I can do is change the order of icons and my wallpaper. Oooh.

But to your other points...who cares about movies or music being limited in some way? They are not the only place to get movies or music from. i don't even ding apple on that point, yet you ding Google for it. Ridiculious. Also while it is true you can only download individual tracks back twice, you can do dumps of your entire collection more then that.

I honestly don't know why there are so many Google/Android bashers in this thread. Love Apple? Great. There are sites for that. But this one, is an Android one. It's like walking into Wendy's and going on and on about how In and Out's burgers are better. Okay...so go to In and Out then!

Not dinging Google, just stating they have a walled garden of their own making.

By the way, usually the term walled garden focuses on the ability to purchase content and be locked into an ecosystem.

If you think because you can't have your own desktop on IOS that means it is a wall gardened, you are using the term wrong.

Which goes to my other point that people throw this term around without knowing what it means including you.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Now to play the other side of the coin.

What does 64 bit processor bring to the table today.

Any true noticeable benefit? Probably not, we are reaching a point where hardware is out performing the operating system. Look to the Moto X that made a dual core phone that runs as well as a quad core one.

Any immediate impact because phones were maxing out at 4gb of ram? No, there aren't even phone makers releasing 4gb of ram on a phone yet nor is there a 64 bit version of Android to take advantage of this on Samsung's side of things.

Maybe Apple has performance benefits that might exist but isn't noticeable with a 64 bit chip, but to this day I still never noticed a performance difference between my 4s and my 5.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Any true noticeable benefit? Probably not, we are reaching a point where hardware is out performing the operating system. Look to the Moto X that made a dual core phone that runs as well as a quad core one.

Any immediate impact because phones were maxing out at 4gb of ram? No, there aren't even phone makers releasing 4gb of ram on a phone yet nor is there a 64 bit version of Android to take advantage of this on Samsung's side of things.

Maybe Apple has performance benefits that might exist but isn't noticeable with a 64 bit chip, but to this day I still never noticed a performance difference between my 4s and my 5.

You notice the difference a few iOS versions in. IOS 6 basically killed my iPod touch 4th gen.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I agree with that. I am a old programer that cut my teeth in a 12 bit PDP-8E, then a few 16 bit (PDP-11/DG Nova) then a 24 bit and 32 bit SEL/Gould/Encore/Sun. Then IBM pSeries. All computers get faster as they design new ones with smaller nm dies. CPU width just gave me more RAM to address and more accurate integer and floating point data. All I got ticked off about was people being told that 64 bits CPU are faster than 32 bit CPU that is the marketing hype to sell a phone. I am just not a fan of the Apple Reality Distortion Field and I have a iPhone at least till the Nexus 5 comes out.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree with that. I am a old programer that cut my teeth in a 12 bit PDP-8E, then a few 16 bit (PDP-11/DG Nova) then a 24 bit and 32 bit SEL/Gould/Encore/Sun. Then IBM pSeries. All computers get faster as they design new ones with smaller nm dies. CPU width just gave me more RAM to address and more accurate integer and floating point data. All I got ticked off about was people being told that 64 bits CPU are faster than 32 bit CPU that is the marketing hype to sell a phone. I am just not a fan of the Apple Reality Distortion Field and I have a iPhone at least till the Nexus 5 comes out.

Ummm it isn't only Apple saying stuff like that. Samsung with quad cores anyone? They do not also improve performance day to day, oh wait this isn't Apple so it must be OK for Samsung to market their phones as the best when they also do simple marketing.

fillmore.east

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
There's no way that will happen. The best selling phone in history sold 250 million units. The best selling smartphone so far has been the S4 at 20M units. It's not just a 5" screen keeping people on Android, it's the extra functionality and openness you get from the OS.
For you, it might be the extra functionality and openness. But for the mass public, it's the bigger screen. Most of my coworkers who use the s4 do so because of the screen size. Same with my parents, both of them love their iOS devices, but they also love the screen size of the s4. For most users, people just want a phone that can provide your basic smartphone capabilities with good reliability. While there is definitely a subset of users that like to tinker with their phones, and customize every setting, that really just doesn't describe the large majority of users. Most of my Android-phone toting friends have no clue what rooting is, or that they can use alternative SMS apps, or alternative keyboards, or alternative launchers, etc. But they love the screen, and the most often heard phrase about the iPhone is just... "the screen is just too damn small".

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
For you, it might be the extra functionality and openness. But for the mass public, it's the bigger screen. Most of my coworkers who use the s4 do so because of the screen size. Same with my parents, both of them love their iOS devices, but they also love the screen size of the s4. For most users, people just want a phone that can provide your basic smartphone capabilities with good reliability. While there is definitely a subset of users that like to tinker with their phones, and customize every setting, that really just doesn't describe the large majority of users. Most of my Android-phone toting friends have no clue what rooting is, or that they can use alternative SMS apps, or alternative keyboards, or alternative launchers, etc. But they love the screen, and the most often heard phrase about the iPhone is just... "the screen is just too damn small".

If Apple released two options for the 5s, one of them being a larger screen, they would have knocked it out of the ball park.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Thing is Android fabrics come here and out of there ignorance start bashing Apple products. Oh BTW I've seen far more fandroids on Apple websites then Apple supporters on this website.

The "but but they do it too" argument is no excuse. i"d say the same thing to those people as well. I don't hang out in stores telling people that the store up the street is better. Why do it on a website? It really makes no sense and is a complete waste of time.

Not dinging Google, just stating they have a walled garden of their own making.

By the way, usually the term walled garden focuses on the ability to purchase content and be locked into an ecosystem.

If you think because you can't have your own desktop on IOS that means it is a wall gardened, you are using the term wrong.

Which goes to my other point that people throw this term around without knowing what it means including you.

So now you're telling people how to write and talk too? Fabulous. By all means oh great one, point me to the definition of this word. Your own use of the word "usually" undermines your point that it means something else. Apparently it can mean more then one thing.

i don't consider those things you mentioned to be "walled" in any way shape or form. If I buy content in itunes store, can I only play that content on an Apple device? No, i can play the music files i buy there anywhere. Same with Google, amazon, any of them. Now if you are talking some sort of DRM'd content that is a different matter. Although even that can be dealt with. However a lockeddown OS has much less options to deal with. Even jailbreaking is not limitless. And once Apple rolls out a new version, like iOS7 then you either have to wait for months until the new version can be jailbroken, or upgrade and live in the limited sandbox Apple gives you to play with. No thanks.

Which is more walled in? Content or the OS?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
So now you're telling people how to write and talk too? Fabulous. By all means oh great one, point me to the definition of this word. Your own use of the word "usually" undermines your point that it means something else. Apparently it can mean more then one thing.

A closed platform, walled garden or closed ecosystem[1][2] is a software system where the carrier or service provider has control over applications, content, and media and restricts convenient access to non-approved applications or content. This is in contrast to an open platform, where consumers have unrestricted access to applications and content.

Example

Video game consoles have a long history of walled gardens, with developers needing to purchase licenses to develop for the platform, and in some cases needing editorial approval from the console manufacturer prior to publishing games.[11][12][13]

I used the word usually because you weren't using it as other people do.

Let me help you with that one too.

u?su?al?ly
ˈyo͞oZHo͞oəlē/Submit
adverb
under normal conditions; generally.

usu?al?ly adv.
usu?al?ness n.
Synonyms: usual, habitual, customary, accustomed
These adjectives apply to what is expected or familiar because it occurs frequently or recurs regularly. Usual describes what accords with normal, common, or ordinary practice or procedure:

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
A closed platform, walled garden or closed ecosystem[1][2] is a software system where the carrier or service provider has control over applications, content, and media and restricts convenient access to non-approved applications or content. This is in contrast to an open platform, where consumers have unrestricted access to applications and content.

Example

Video game consoles have a long history of walled gardens, with developers needing to purchase licenses to develop for the platform, and in some cases needing editorial approval from the console manufacturer prior to publishing games.[11][12][13]

I used the word usually because you weren't using it as other people do.

Let me help you with that one too.

u?su?al?ly
ˈyo͞oZHo͞oəlē/Submit
adverb
under normal conditions; generally.

usu?al?ly adv.
usu?al?ness n.
Synonyms: usual, habitual, customary, accustomed
These adjectives apply to what is expected or familiar because it occurs frequently or recurs regularly. Usual describes what accords with normal, common, or ordinary practice or procedure:

Ironic being told what is right and wrong by someone who got a fact wrong themselves in this thread. But thanks for the links anyway. So if you think the term is misapplied to what I am describing, what WOULD be the correct term? I'm all ears.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Ironic being told what is right and wrong by someone who got a fact wrong themselves in this thread. But thanks for the links anyway. So if you think the term is misapplied to what I am describing, what WOULD be the correct term? I'm all ears.

You wanted actual definitions and I gave it to you. You asked for it, not my fault you didn't like it.

You are also welcome to point out the actual fact or facts I got wrong in this thread so far.

Still doesn't change the point that people including yourself really misuse that term walled garden.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Can people for the love of God stop arguing over what words the other person has said. This thread seems pointless now and I think it should be closed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
This thread will be pretty meaningless when there are 64bit Android phones which are around the corner. I hope those saying this is an Apple gimmick will at least offer the same critique to 64bit Android devices.
I wouldn't call it a gimmick. There probably will eventually be a benefit. The issue is that we won't really see the benefit immediately. It will likely be a couple years before both software and hardware get to the point where 64-bit processing gives the type of improvement you can't get from just using a faster, 32-bit processor. Android phones will have the same issue and I don't doubt that they'll have similar marketing.

To put it in salesmen terms, right now 64-bit processors in phones are big steaks with little sizzle which is why they're highlighting a feature and not a benefit.

John Flud

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
apple has an advantage here. because they design their own hardware and OS and developer app making software in house, they can have everything ready from the get go. the OS is already updated for 64 bit. the native apps are already updated for 64 bit. and xcode which is how developers make apps for the iphone is now set to automatically compile all apps to where they will work in 32-bit or 64 bit depending on the hardware its on.

because of this apple will take advantage of the power very rapidly.

in a couple months the iphone 5S is going to be smoking the pants off the competition in the speed department. LOL just wait. :)

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
You wanted actual definitions and I gave it to you. You asked for it, not my fault you didn't like it.

You are also welcome to point out the actual fact or facts I got wrong in this thread so far.

Still doesn't change the point that people including yourself really misuse that term walled garden.

I did point out the thing you got wrong before. And I don't mind the definition, but I am STILL waiting to hear the term for what I am describing. If you think I am using it wrong, okay then, what's the correct term?

ExSOi

May 19, 2013
Visit site
This thread has been most educational. I' m so inspired that I plan to lobby parliament to force those backwards Apple people to to take back their poxy extra 32 bits, yes, take back the bits, for we do not want them. If anyone myst have them then keep them off our Android devices for, dear friends, they are of no use to us.
Spread this message across the pond and throughout the world and together we shall stay as we are, happy and content forever and ever.
PS, I feel the same way about cars, jet engines and penicillin, bas#*#ds.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Ummm it isn't only Apple saying stuff like that. Samsung with quad cores anyone? They do not also improve performance day to day, oh wait this isn't Apple so it must be OK for Samsung to market their phones as the best when they also do simple marketing.

It is obvious you never worked with computers. Multiprocessor running under the phones' OS allows background Apps to continue processing applications simultaneously. Symmetric multiprocessor operating system run independent, with each processor core executing different programs and working on different data and with capability of sharing common resources. Multiprocessor were revolutionary in mufti-tasking OS. Multiprocessor cores are always always better than single processor core where you have two or more applications running at the same time. The more Apps running the more Cores the better for speed. No wonder Apple can sell the 64 bit Reality Distortion Field when they are behind. Multiprocessor cores will be the reason someday for CPU's to need 64 bit processors so they can address more than 4GB of RAM.

Last edited:

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It is obvious you never worked with computers. Multiprocessor running under the phones' OS allows background Apps to continue processing applications simultaneously. Symmetric multiprocessor operating system run independent, with each processor core executing different programs and working on different data and with capability of sharing common resources. Multiprocessor were revolutionary in mufti-tasking OS. Multiprocessor cores are always always better than single processor core where you have two or more applications running at the same time. The more Apps running the more Cores the better for speed. No wonder Apple can sell the 64 bit Reality Distortion Field when they are behind. Multiprocessor cores will be the reason someday for CPU's to need 64 bit processors so they can address more than 4GB of RAM.

The A7 is dual core. Where the hell did you get its single core? Its been dual core since the 4S. So again, what advantage does the quad core processor provide when the iPhone is already multi core?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
This thread has been most educational. I' m so inspired that I plan to lobby parliament to force those backwards Apple people to to take back their poxy extra 32 bits, yes, take back the bits, for we do not want them. If anyone myst have them then keep them off our Android devices for, dear friends, they are of no use to us.
Spread this message across the pond and throughout the world and together we shall stay as we are, happy and content forever and ever.
PS, I feel the same way about cars, jet engines and penicillin, bas#*#ds.

Seriously?