Camera how good is it.....really?

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe he ever claimed that larger pixels created a brighter picture. What he did say is that larger pixels absorb more light and are more sensitive.

That's what we were discussing about. If a size of a pixel determines how sensitive it is at absorbing light which in return will lead to have a brighter picture. We were talking about the HTC one cameras larger pixels give it an advantage in low light since the cameras pixels are larger.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Just for verification doesn't each pixel have a rating for the amount of light (enegry) intensity that the pixel receives to give it a shade?
Usually, it's a measurement of intensity and wavelength to determine the shade. This is determined by the imaging library (think of it as a licensed SDK from a company that builds optics) and how the software is written.

For IR and near-IR applications, the intensity is often used alone to determine the pixel shading. I'm guessing here, but (I really only ever worked with near-IR industrial Machine-assisted vision systems) for full color, consumer applications the wavelength also has a lot to do with it, simply because it's easy to equate wavelength with color spectrum.

EDIT: You've piqued my interest, and I'm trying to find out from some folks I know who still work in the industry at Matrox.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
That's what we were discussing about. If a size of a pixel determines how sensitive it is at absorbing light which in return will lead to have a brighter picture. We were talking about the HTC one cameras larger pixels give it an advantage in low light since the cameras pixels are larger.

Not directly. The would be able to create a brighter picture by increasing the ISO. Since the SNR is higher, they are able to boost ISO beyond where smaller pixels couldn't - so the result would be smaller pixels not being able to boost ISO high enough to give a properly lit picture or being so noisy it wouldn't matter.

I am using the extreme case here. The actual use will be more subtle difference I guess.

Posted via Android Central App

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Which is absolutely correct. Because it has larger pixels, it is able to collect more light in low light situations.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Based on information being given in this thread if more pixels are being activated then couldn't it be reasoned that the picture will be brighter? My reasoning is based on the info Jerry posted above about the photovoltaic cell requiring a certain amount of photos to be activated. If the majority of activated cells are not activated then the "guessing" would probably result in a darker picture, right?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Which is absolutely correct. Because it has larger pixels, it is able to collect more light in low light situations.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

And it's able to function normally with less (human) visible light because of the pixel surface area. There is a distinction that needs made here.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Based on information being given in this thread if more pixels are being activated then couldn't it be reasoned that the picture will be brighter? My reasoning is based on the info Jerry posted above about the photovoltaic cell requiring a certain amount of photos to be activated. If the majority of activated cells are not activated then the "guessing" would probably result in a darker picture, right?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The "guessing" is based on the data received from the pixels that can operate and collect it. If a pixel that can not be activated has neighbors that did get enough to activate, the adjoining points can give a pretty good idea of what the image data should be. If they can't, it's a pure guess.

Without knowing exactly how the imaging library works, I would say all the guesses that can't be determined by adjacent pixels are just inserted as noise, and the camera has a threshold where it says "this is too much noise/not enough data, we can't take this image".

Edit (I do this a lot lol): Remember, we're dealing with computational cameras here. Image data is collected in a raw state, and software decides what to do with it. A straight light > photo conversion (like on film, or some older cameras that don't have "digital enhancement" functions) is completely different and just displays what the film or sensors see.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Usually, it's a measurement of intensity and wavelength to determine the shade. This is determined by the imaging library (think of it as a licensed SDK from a company that builds optics) and how the software is written.

For IR and near-IR applications, the intensity is often used alone to determine the pixel shading. I'm guessing here, but (I really only ever worked with near-IR industrial Machine-assisted vision systems) for full color, consumer applications the wavelength also has a lot to do with it, simply because it's easy to equate wavelength with color spectrum.

EDIT: You've piqued my interest, and I'm trying to find out from some folks I know who still work in the industry at Matrox.

Last bump, I swear :)

Most non-specialized, full-color (in the human vision spectrum) digital computational cameras operate this way, per a contact at Matrox:

The intensity, wavelength, and on-time of the light hitting a pixel is sampled for X number of milliseconds (determined by the software) when the shutter is activated. If the on-time (the amount of time the pixel receives enough light to be turned on) is above a certain threshold (again, determined by the software), the results of intensity and wavelength are averaged and the data is given a reference point in a grid to tell the software what color it sees. The software then takes all the information supplied by these pixels, and assembles it into a single file, and performs any image-wide settings (settings like exposure compensation or sharpness) to that file. Afterwards, the software then reads the image data and does jpg correction on individual pixels as it is programmed to do, sharpening and adjusting color information to produce the smoothest result.

If auto ISO settings are selected, there is another step where the camera software leverages the sensor data to determine the highest value (lowest ISO) that still provides enough image data. It does this while the image is focusing, before exposure is calculated and the shutter is activated.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Read your post and it made me want to try to see my highlight videos on the tv thru the media link. I guess HTC doesn't want us to do that, because that function is not activated. The videos are just kind of darkened out, and only the pictures will play. It sure would be nice if we could play on something else besides the phone.

I can play the highlight videos on both my TVs that are connected to my network. So it is possible. I just "select player" and watch on my TV.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Love it!

She looks like a lot of fun to be around, and the Highlight w/Zoe really helps to show that much more than pics, imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Take some zoes next. They really bring the highlight videos to life. The phone will cut and splice the action in time with the music. I'd say the single best selling point for the average user is highlight videos. Once someone sees how fun they are AND how is takes basically no user effort they seem to be sold.
Here's the first one I made at a baseball game with my friend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7XFN0wJbWE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Love it!

She looks like a lot of fun to be around, and the Highlight w/Zoe really helps to show that much more than pics, imo.

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I can play the highlight videos on both my TVs that are connected to my network. So it is possible. I just "select player" and watch on my TV.

Where is that choice "select player" found? The only connection I have to tv is the media link. You must have some other arrangement.

Son Nguyen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Read your post and it made me want to try to see my highlight videos on the tv thru the media link. I guess HTC doesn't want us to do that, because that function is not activated. The videos are just kind of darkened out, and only the pictures will play. It sure would be nice if we could play on something else besides the phone.

You have to save a highlight video first. You can't just play the sample one they put together for you at the top of your event.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in and say Samsung phone do and have always had poor low light performance. They have never put much effort there, if any, but that may change with it becoming a focus these days. But the S4 compares quite poorly against even the One X on low light, Nevermind phones like the One and L920 that have focused on low light photography.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

safi_2

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
i have HTC one and i can say that images in good light are ok but in low light the images are worse as there is a pink tint all over the camera whether it is a still images or videos .

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I was expecting much more after reading the reviews that praised the camera.
Daylight photos are just ok specially landscapes (far objects),close subjects are very good and detailed.
Night shots are brighter than other smartphones but:
-Autofocus tend to be false most of the time,only 1 shot over 5 will be perfect focus.
-Shutter speed is slowed too much for a smartphone (non-tripod device) so even with the stabilizer you will get blurred photos (shutter speed can be slowed up to 1/3 of sec)!!!!
-Noises!!
And last thing yes 13mp is not equal to quality but at least you can zoom 3x more than with 4mp after taking the photo

ashouhdy

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
i maybe to late. but just put my hands on the phone. AND am AMAZED with the low light powers. See this.

and this

both un-edited straight from the phone.

just for comparison see the S4 performance i say ... the hell with the mega-pixels count (Night mode)

the Htc One Normal mode not even Night mode.

Hope u get it !

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
i maybe to late. but just put my hands on the phone. AND am AMAZED with the low light powers. See this.
[url]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s445/ashouhdy/IMAG0269_1_wm_zps5e68f1c1.jpg[/URL]

and this

[url]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s445/ashouhdy/IMAG0261_1_wm_zps06654dbd.jpg[/URL]

both un-edited straight from the phone.

just for comparison see the S4 performance i say ... the hell with the mega-pixels count (Night mode)

[url]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s445/ashouhdy/20130920_223517_LLS_zps5a93167c.jpg[/URL]

the Htc One Normal mode not even Night mode.

[url]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s445/ashouhdy/IMAG0021_zps548130db.jpg[/URL]

Hope u get it !

Hard to tell people unedited when you have a graphic at the bottom right of the photo.

Just saying....

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

wilcox919

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
The camera itself, is very good. Taking pics of objects far away- the performance is just ok. But anything close up and in low light is amazing.

The camera features, like Zoe, video highlights, sequence, etc are fantastic in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wongcheng