4.3 Update for Sprint Galaxy S3 has Arrived

SebasCvdB

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you have to rename the file name from XDA from this "cffb350e111c431bcd19eea86e0d0e6816950053.USER_L710_SPR_MD4_to_MK3_Update_FWD.zip" to this "update.zip" before you went into recovery to installed it?

Thanks

Yes and make sure you're using the STOCK recovery too..

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to try the manual update method, but when I connect my phone to my Windows 8.1 computer, the phone states that no programs were found that were compatible. Sometimes when I connect phone, Windows isn't even recognizing the device. Other times, Windows recognizes the device and asks what I want to do and then while looking at files on the phone through the computer, the folder representing the phone simply closes.

I also noticed that there is already an update file on the sd card that I think is about 85MB in size and is from 2011. Do I want to replace that file with the new larger update.zip?

Can anyone help me out here? I still can't get Windows to see the phone. I installed Kies and that application doesn't see the phone either.

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone help me out here? I still can't get Windows to see the phone. I installed Kies and that application doesn't see the phone either.

Why not just download directly to sd card using phone browser and Wi-Fi. That's how I did it and it worked fine. .... must download to sd.... not somewhere else and copy.
Also. ....I didn't rename the file.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I didnt get no update on my s3 by sprint im on L710VPBMD4 will i get the 4.3 update?

Dude...you asked the same exact question in thread "Is there any update on 4.3 for the S3? (Post #240, YESTERDAY at 10:21pm) and I already answered it for you in post #241 (you even thanked me). What didn't you understand the first time? You can either download and flash the file (rename it to "update.zip") from your ext sd card or be patient and wait for it.

HeyBeerManTX

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I manually upgraded using the xda link, and now I have two notifications about .pdfs being downloaded (from a month ago) that keep coming back, no matter how many times you dismiss/clear them. Should I boot into recovery and clear the cache? ....or is this something else?

al16000

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Anyone on Ting (MVNO of Sprint) get the update yet?

I didn't get the notification, but it was easy enough to install the zip from XDA, and it works great!

I manually upgraded using the xda link, and now I have two notifications about .pdfs being downloaded (from a month ago) that keep coming back, no matter how many times you dismiss/clear them. Should I boot into recovery and clear the cache? ....or is this something else?

Go to Application manager (under settings), and clear the date and cache on the download manager (not the 'downloads' app). This took care of it for me.

me2
also have problems with no default video player and cannot use lockscreen widgets. I could use a hand please

lockscreen widgets only work when you have 'swipe' selected as your lock screen security method (ie no security) - I discovered that to my disappointment after some research. Apparently it's the same way as it is on the S4. I'm still using widgetlocker because of this. However, I did find that with widgetlocker, I can go directly to the camera without having to unlock (via a shortcut), which is awesome (you just can't click the picture icon in the camera app to go to the gallery to view pictures until after you unlock - this makes sense for security, so it's nice).

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks but I am not rooted, I dont think I can use widgetlocker
I had lockerpro on here before and it worked out, I did not mind it....I tried swiping to another window on my lockscreen and it just opened it up to my regular screen :(

al16000

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks but I am not rooted, I dont think I can use widgetlocker
I had lockerpro on here before and it worked out, I did not mind it....I tried swiping to another window on my lockscreen and it just opened it up to my regular screen :(

Widgetlocker definitely doesn't require root. I've only had one phone rooted (out of the 4 android phones I've had), and I've always used widgetlocker. It's very customizable. Also, you have to set up the widgets under settings->lock screen, you can't do it from the actual lock screen (because then it's locked).

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Why not just download directly to sd card using phone browser and Wi-Fi. That's how I did it and it worked fine. .... must download to sd.... not somewhere else and copy.
Also. ....I didn't rename the file.

I happened to be at Best Buy and stopped by the Samsung desk to see if the phone can be updated, but the update isn't in the system yet. They did say that if you continually check for an update, that the phone will get put at the end of the update queue.

I thought the update file at XDA had to be renamed. If that's not the case and I download it to the sd card, will I eventually get the notice that the update is available?

Posted via Android Central App

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I happened to be at Best Buy and stopped by the Samsung desk to see if the phone can be updated, but the update isn't in the system yet. They did say that if you continually check for an update, that the phone will get put at the end of the update queue.

I thought the update file at XDA had to be renamed. If that's not the case and I download it to the sd card, will I eventually get the notice that the update is available?

Lol. Right....NOT

BruceGra

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
If you are having problems connecting to the computer try going into settings, developer options and turn off USB debugging. This has worked for me in the past.

Last edited:

wsm0807

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

Clear the download manager cache. Happened to me too

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

Renaming the file doesn't matter. .... Just the contents. Renaming it will simply make it easier for you to recognize it in the list when you start up using volume up. .... home. .... and power.
But once you update this way you will not receive a notification to update from Sprint unless they come up with another version or patch.

This is exactly what i did:
1: Clicked on the xda link....I use Dolphin browser and it prompted me to save and I chose sd card
2: Power down waited 30 secs power on by Holding volume up &home key& power. .... released once I saw small blue text in upper left corner of screen
3: Menu comes up. ....volume down button until update from sd is highlighted then push power to select. Then scrolled to file.... power to select
At that point it just did its thing.... took several minutes and I think it rebooted. ...I left it and took a shower and it was done.
At that point I started tweaking my settings.
I cleared some cache files. ...etc then powered down. Restarted using volume power and home keys again. .... This time I chose the option to clean the cache from there.
From that point on I tested some apps. .... had to uninstall reinstall two. DEFINITELY go into settings and applications then all. Turned off a lot of bloat ware. ...ie Samsung printer plug in. ...hp printer plug in. .... some Samsung stuff I don't use. .. like chat on.

Restarted again the normal way. ..... all good.
Battery life has improved as I've turned off bloat ware.

Now I'm just tweaking. Moving everything possible to sd card.
Only thing I've had an issue with is that the music player requires the folks to be in the device music folder. ... won't let me use off sd card. Probably a way around that though.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Renaming the file doesn't matter. .... Just the contents. Renaming it will simply make it easier for you to recognize it in the list when you start up using volume up. .... home. .... and power.
But once you update this way you will not receive a notification to update from Sprint unless they come up with another version or patch.

1: Clicked on the xda link....I use Dolphin browser and it prompted me to save and I chose sd card
2: Power down waited 30 secs power on by Holding volume up &home key& power. .... released once I saw small blue text in upper left corner of screen
3: Menu comes up. ....volume down button until update from sd is highlighted then push power to select. Then scrolled to file.... power to select
At that point it just did its thing.... took several minutes and I think it rebooted. ...I left it and took a shower and it was done.
I cleared some cache files. ...etc then powered down. Restarted using volume power and home keys again. .... This time I chose the option to clean the cache from there.
From that point on I tested some apps. .... had to uninstall reinstall two. DEFINITELY go into settings and applications then all. Turned off a lot of bloat ware. ...ie Samsung printer plug in. ...hp printer plug in. .... some Samsung stuff I don't use. .. like chat on.

Only thing I've had an issue with is that the music player requires the folks to be in the device music folder. ... won't let me use off sd card. Probably a way around that though.

I used the default browser to download the file from XDA. I'm not sure where the file was saved, but I used Astro File Manager to locate the file. I moved it over to the following location: phone>storage>SD card. Is that the right place?

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site

What are you using to move apps to sd?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
What are you using to move apps to sd?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I was using android assistant. .... but it doesn't appear to be working too well. Im manually doing it by going into settings .....applications and going into each one clicking move to sd card. Of course some apps inherently don't allow it. ... but most games and some utilities do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kulyenuch