4.3 Update for Sprint Galaxy S3 has Arrived

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I used the default browser to download the file from XDA. I'm not sure where the file was saved, but I used Astro File Manager to locate the file. I moved it over to the following location: phone>storage>SD card. Is that the right place?

That could be. ... but the galaxy s3 has an sd card as it's storage too. If you go into app drawer and open up my files..... Then select all.... the first listed is the phone. ... the second is your external sd card. ... you want the file there in the second listing. So you could manually move it there.
I don't use astro so not familiar with how it's "naming" each one. ...
But if you look around in "my files" you should see what I'm referring to and can probably find the file easily.

The first time I tried ....I used stock browser and then moved the file. For some reason the update didn't take.
Then I did what I previously posted and it worked no problem. .... I'm guessing the copying if the file caused an issue.

If you don't want to do all that. .... open up stock browser. ... hit menu button (next to home at bottom of phone).... scroll down to settings. .... Then advanced..... Then "default storage"..... change to sd card and redownload the zip file.

If you do that. .... Then you can just start the update procedure. .... Just remember the name if the file. ..... it'll be obvious cuz it will be the longest one in the list to chose from once you are in the update menu. ..... but you'll see. ....

Last edited:

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm worried that I might have done something to the phone because I initially didn't see the download file in phone>storage>sd card while I was in the system startup mode. I took the SD card out of the Samsung Epic and put it into the S3 when I changed phones. I still had the update file for the Epic and a file for the camera for that phone as well. I mistakenly hit the power button when one of those two files was selected. I immediately turned the phone off and back on again - everything seemed to be fine.

I put the S3 update file into the extSD folder and then restarted the phone and applied that update. I didn't see anything fail, but I did see a red exclamation mark. Once everything was done optimizing, the phone showed that Android was updated successfully. The first thing that I noticed was a problem was with download notifications -- they won't go away and the notifications are for old files. The connection optimizer keeps coming up as well.

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm worried that I might have done something to the phone because I initially didn't see the download file in phone>storage>sd card while I was in the system startup mode. I took the SD card out of the Samsung Epic and put it into the S3 when I changed phones. I still had the update file for the Epic and a file for the camera for that phone as well. I mistakenly hit the power button when one of those two files was selected. I immediately turned the phone off and back on again - everything seemed to be fine.

I put the S3 update file into the extSD folder and then restarted the phone and applied that update. I didn't see anything fail, but I did see a red exclamation mark. Once everything was done optimizing, the phone showed that Android was updated successfully. The first thing that I noticed was a problem was with download notifications -- they won't go away and the notifications are for old files. The connection optimizer keeps coming up as well.

Everyone keeps having the notification issue.....I didn't for some reason.

You should be able to clear that off. ... came across it in the other 4.3 threads.

As for the optimizer. .... go to settings ... on the first tab pick more networks. ... Then mobile. ... you will see the optimizer there and can turn it off. Then back to settings click the More tab. Applications and then slide over to all. ....find it in the list and force stop clear data etc to be sure.

There is other junk I manually turned off. .... like all the Samsung apps I don't use and the Samsung push service etc. Those are safe to turn off if you don't use them.

And if you check about under settings and have 4.3 there you should be fine with the update.
If you continue to have issues. ... Just back up your data and do a factory reset. It will erase everything but should make it stock 4.3.
I would save that as a last resort though.

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
What can I search for to find a solution to the notification bug?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

It's in the "is there any update for the s3" thread..... last few pages I think.
In this same subsection of the forum (Sprint s3)

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
What notification bug? The downloads? If that's it, go to download manager and clear em out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

I just cleared the downloads list and then updated an app and the notifications came right back. This sure seems like a bug to me.

I found the thread the previous poster mentioned, but I am not clear on what the app drawer is. I am currently chatting with Samsung support and they say the app drawer is a third party app. I want these notifications go away - permanently.

Posted via Android Central App

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I just cleared the downloads list and then updated an app and the notifications came right back. This sure seems like a bug to me.

I found the thread the previous poster mentioned, but I am not clear on what the app drawer is. I am currently chatting with Samsung support and they say the app drawer is a third party app. I want these notifications go away - permanently.

App drawer 3rd party? ?? That's stupidity. .... when you click the shortcut on home screen to get to apps....THAT is the app drawer.

Can you post screenshots of what's going on?
Like I said I'm not having the issue so without seeing it. ... it's a little unclear to me.

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

Are you referring to notifications relating to the play store ie stating you have an update available?
If so just turn it off in the play store settings...

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's a screenshot of I'm seeing. These keep coming up everytime I start the phone or update an app.

jabepebu.jpg

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Here's a screenshot of I'm seeing. These keep coming up everytime I start the phone or update an app.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/24/jabepebu.jpg

Oh I see.
You should clear them from the notifications... Then go to apps.... Then downloads. .... and delete them there. Just make sure you have the actual file saved somewhere if it's something you need.
If that didn't work. ... I personally would do. .. settings. ... more. ... Applications. ... slide to All..... scroll down to download manager. .... clear data and force stop.
Then do the same for "downloads".... which should be right next to it in the apps list.

Then power down. .... give it a minute and restart.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I think I got this issue resolved -- for now. Maybe this wasn't really a bug, but it was an annoyance. I would think that this would have been noticed in testing. Samsung was going to have me factory reset the phone to solve the issue. :-\ I don't know why I have this impression, but it seems like they were just going through a support flow chart and resetting the phone was the last thing on the list.

Now the last remaining issue I need to get resolved is Google Play wanting to updated every application as soon as the Play store is opened. In the process of trying to fix the notification issue, I did clear the data from the Google Play store.

x893

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I think I got this issue resolved -- for now. Maybe this wasn't really a bug, but it was an annoyance. I would think that this would have been noticed in testing. Samsung was going to have me factory reset the phone to solve the issue. :-\ I don't know why I have this impression, but it seems like they were just going through a support flow chart and resetting the phone was the last thing on the list.

Now the last remaining issue I need to get resolved is Google Play wanting to updated every application as soon as the Play store is opened. In the process of trying to fix the notification issue, I did clear the data from the Google Play store.

Yes when you clear data on the play store it returns to factory settings. ... which are update and do everything on auto pilot.

Ok just open play store. ... hit menu on phone. .. go into settings and adjust as necessary. I turn all that off. I can open up the store and check for updates every few days. .... don't need that constantly on. No notifications. ... no auto update. ...etc
Just my preference though lol

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
What notification bug? The downloads? If that's it, go to download manager and clear em out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

For all having issue with notofications-

App Drawer> Downsloads> Clear All> That should clear out the noftification issues.

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Everyone keeps having the notification issue.....I didn't for some reason.

You should be able to clear that off. ... came across it in the other 4.3 threads.

As for the optimizer. .... go to settings ... on the first tab pick more networks. ... Then mobile. ... you will see the optimizer there and can turn it off. Then back to settings click the More tab. Applications and then slide over to all. ....find it in the list and force stop clear data etc to be sure.

There is other junk I manually turned off. .... like all the Samsung apps I don't use and the Samsung push service etc. Those are safe to turn off if you don't use them.

And if you check about under settings and have 4.3 there you should be fine with the update.
If you continue to have issues. ... Just back up your data and do a factory reset. It will erase everything but should make it stock 4.3.
I would save that as a last resort though.

Hey all, I've a posted an all in one, how-to with the all the issues with the notification bug and other stuff (thanks to all who've helped me out here). Hope this helps.

1) Wifi is always on, can't turn off-
-Settings> Connections> More networks> Mobile Networks> Connection Optimizer> Uncheck box.

2) Notifications are giving weird messages like photos/jpegs are done uploading-
-App drawer (where all your apps are)> Download Icon> Internet Downloads> Clear All> Other Downloads> Clear all.

3) Flash goes off everytime you get an email/text-
-Settings> My Device> Accessibility> Flash Notification (have to scroll all the way to the bottom to find it)> Uncheck Box.

4) Turn off KNOX
-Settings> More> Security>Device Administrators> Uncheck KNOX.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandeee