Thinking of Upgrading to HTC One (M8). Is the camera THAT bad?

RockyMtnRedRaider

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Seems like all the review sites are bagging on the camera on the HTC One (M8). Looking for some help out there before I drop some cash on the new phone. Please give comments on what you think about the camera. Samples appreciated!

Posted via Android Central App

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I personally think it is a fantastic camera. The misconception that more megapixels = better pictures isn't true and sadly they are going to discredit it as a bad camera. Truth is, whatever detail might be lost by having 4mp is made up for by better low light pictures, camera features such as ufocus, and camera software. You can also go into full manual mode and adjust everything manually. The editing features are also really nice, being able to adjust things like exposure and contrast and color balance after a picture is taken make it useful to get a better picture out of an otherwise useless pic

There is a photos and videos thread in the sticky section here that will provide you with sample shots. I'd go check it or and make your own decision

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Seems like all the review sites are bagging on the camera on the HTC One (M8). Looking for some help out there before I drop some cash on the new phone. Please give comments on what you think about the camera. Samples appreciated!

I originally was a sceptic but the camera is capable of taking very nice shots. I'm coming from a GS4 so I was expecting to be very disappointed but I'm really not. Sure the camera isn't as good as a GS4 or iPhone 5S but it's very capable none the less and NOT as bad as reviewers have been saying. There's a sticky pictures thread for you to see. You be the judge.

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Picked up the phone Friday evening, coming from a 5s, and to me the camera is perfectly acceptable for a phone camera. As a photographer I am pretty picky about pictures (main reason why the Moto X didnt last for me), and I have absolutely no complaints about this camera. With that said I never print phone pictures and only use them for social media. So with that said it fits my needs perfectly :)

ahutchga1972

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
The camera is fine. I took decent pictures Friday night at a school event. The camera captured the moment, which is all I ask a camera to do.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Look is it better then the s5. Prolly not. But the overall phone is better (m8)..... The camera for me is good enough. The M8 rocks imho.

RocNRobbn

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I came from the HTC EVO 4G LTE. This phone is so much better. The camera is very good and has some great editing features. The sound from the speakers was the selling point on this phone and they are incredible!

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think the M8's camera is great. Lots of features and the picture quality is right on. Yes, you might not be able to print pictures from your M8 but shouldn't you have a DSLR if you plan on doing any serious kind of photography. There isn't one camera phone on the market that can replace a good DSLR!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not that bad. Not even bad at all. Is is THAT awesome? No. It will not win 1st place in flagship camera contests but it is still a great camera.
I have been playing with both the S5 and M8 for a few day now and I can't notice a huge difference for everyday social media stuff. And people keep forgetting to mention how great it does in low light compared to other phones. In situations where my iphone and the S5 are black, the M8 can still produce an image.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
95%< of the pictures I've taken have been completely acceptable. I've actually taken only one photo that I could honestly say was "bad." I'm sure others can and will be quick to point out some more, but that's not the case for me. To put it in perspective, my last phone was a Spectrum 2. Now THAT had a bad camera lol. I've gone from a phone that had a completely unusable camera, to one where I'm happy with almost every shot I take. Nothing to really complain about.

Preformer19

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I really don't know why everyone is sh*ting on this camera. Number one, It's a phone for God's sake. Everything that comes after the phone part is chocolate syrup on the ice cream. You're not going to get crystal clear pictures, or high resolution image capturing.

In my opinion the other features the camera comes with, Zoe, Duo camera 3D effect, new and improved (and easier) 360 degree photos, make this camera awesome and stand out.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I love my HTC One M8 but yeah, the camera is pretty bad compared to other high end smartphones. It's low light performance is good, but not so much better than iPhone 5s or Galaxy S5 to make up for the resolution drop. Unfortunately resolution isn't the worst part. The severe purple fringing and lousy exposure metering is the worst part. Its bad, ranging on unacceptable. If you take pictures with areas of extreme contrast like tree branches against a bright sky, you WILL be disappointed. On the plus side, for less challenging shots the images look "ok," and the duo lens feature is actually pretty cool.

The zoe features and focus adjustment almost make up for the sensor. If HTC could nail the purple fringing issues and exposure challenges, and bump up the resolution even a bit, they would have a killer offer.

Fotoav8r

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I can chime in and agree with all the previous posters (hardly ever get to say that;). I'm a professional photographer, and I'm perfectly happy with the camera. Not much to say that hasn't already been said above except to reiterate how great the phone is in low light, which is ideal for a phone camera because in nice outdoor weather, one is likely to have a dedicated camera, and indoors, like at clubs and parties etc, one is not as likely to be carrying a bit dedicated camera which makes it perfect for those situations.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I love my HTC One M8 but yeah, the camera is pretty bad compared to other high end smartphones. It's low light performance is good, but not so much better than iPhone 5s or Galaxy S5 to make up for the resolution drop. Unfortunately resolution isn't the worst part. The severe purple fringing and lousy exposure metering is the worst part. Its bad, ranging on unacceptable. If you take pictures with areas of extreme contrast like tree branches against a bright sky, you WILL be disappointed. On the plus side, for less challenging shots the images look "ok," and the duo lens feature is actually pretty cool.

The zoe features and focus adjustment almost make up for the sensor. If HTC could nail the purple fringing issues and exposure challenges, and bump up the resolution even a bit, they would have a killer offer.

Hmmm, I don't seem to have the purple fringing effect you're talking about

Also you can adjust all the settings manually. Might not fix the issues you're having, but they are a nice addition anyway