5 Reasons To Buy The Z2.

intrepid359

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Xperia Z2 phone of 2014 thus far?

Not discrediting the z2, looks like one hell of a phone.

However, the z2, Samsung, and Nokia have all kinda copied the HTC and m8 (not that it's a bad thing, but true nonetheless).

M7 and the m8 have dual front facing speakers, now the z2 does.

M8 has two camera lenses, one to capture depth information and one regular one. This is designed for a bokeh like effect, which Samsung, Nokia, and even the z2 all are doing with software.

Imo, it just seems like HTC is trying new things, and these other companies see that and then implement it into their phones.

Like I said, not discrediting any of these manufacturers, these are just my opinion.

Posted via Android Central App

HTC wasn't the first to go with stereo front-facing speakers, nor is background defocus a new thing. Sony has been in the camera business for a long time, and a lot of phone makers use Sony camera sensors. Sony has its own unique software design, dustproofing, waterproofing, etc. Each company will focus on its own core ideas and often will reach similar overlapping conclusions without actually copying each other. It's not like Sony is looking over Samsung's shoulder. Companies take a long time to integrate new ideas into each release cycle. Copying ideas will have a lead time before you see them in competing products.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

HTC wasn't the first to go with stereo front-facing speakers, nor is background defocus a new thing. Sony has been in the camera business for a long time, and a lot of phone makers use Sony camera sensors. Sony has its own unique software design, dustproofing, waterproofing, etc. Each company will focus on its own core ideas and often will reach similar overlapping conclusions without actually copying each other. It's not like Sony is looking over Samsung's shoulder. Companies take a long time to integrate new ideas into each release cycle. Copying ideas will have a lead time before you see them in competing products.

Who was the first phone company to use front facing stereo speakers?

Background defocus is definitely not a new thing, but having a hardware implementation on a phone is. As far as I know it's the only device, full cameras included, to have such a feature for that purpose

intrepid359

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Who was the first phone company to use front facing stereo speakers?

Background defocus is definitely not a new thing, but having a hardware implementation on a phone is. As far as I know it's the only device, full cameras included, to have such a feature for that purpose

The very first mainstream manufacturer to use stereo speakers on an Android phone was... Sony. The Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman, also know as the Phone with the Worst Name Ever, had stereo speakers before it was cool. It was released in August 2011, or 17 months before the HTC One, released in March 2013. I'm fairly sure that some Chinese brands also beat HTC to the front-facing speakers party, but please don't make me look through the many thousands of Chinese phones that come out each year! It's torture lol. HTC probably didn't steal the stereo speaker idea from Sony. It's just a thing that most companies will eventually arrive at once they've figured out how to cram 2 speakers and an amplifier into the chassis. Sony just happened to make a really fat phone that could fit a small aircraft inside. They're known for their Walkman brand, so naturally they focused on audio tech first.

Background defocus through HTC's method was not invented by HTC. It was merely utilized by HTC. They use 2 cameras. The rest of the industry uses just one. Completely different technologies that achieve the same result. No copying there as long as the means to the end are different. At least that's how it's measured in court.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I really don't jump on that bandwagon of who invented it first bs.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone however does that mean no one else is allowed to evolve that idea?

Its how its implemented and Sony have done a great job with the Xperia Z2. Like Htc have also built a solid device. I just think for me Sony have remained focused and have the better all round package.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

The very first mainstream manufacturer to use stereo speakers on an Android phone was... Sony. The Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman, also know as the Phone with the Worst Name Ever, had stereo speakers before it was cool. It was released in August 2011, or 17 months before the HTC One, released in March 2013. I'm fairly sure that some Chinese brands also beat HTC to the front-facing speakers party, but please don't make me look through the many thousands of Chinese phones that come out each year! It's torture lol. HTC probably didn't steal the stereo speaker idea from Sony. It's just a thing that most companies will eventually arrive at once they've figured out how to cram 2 speakers and an amplifier into the chassis. Sony just happened to make a really fat phone that could fit a small aircraft inside. They're known for their Walkman brand, so naturally they focused on audio tech first.

Background defocus through HTC's method was not invented by HTC. It was merely utilized by HTC. They use 2 cameras. The rest of the industry uses just one. Completely different technologies that achieve the same result. No copying there as long as the means to the end are different. At least that's how it's measured in court.

Ahh gotcha. Completely forgot about the Sony Ericsson phones. I never had one but was always intrigued by them.

I've done a little research and it seems that that stereo speakers aren't a new thing, there are a bunch of phones that have them. It seems though that HTC finally made them sound good, or at least better than any other phone. That and every one that I saw didn't have them on the front.

Cool, thanks for letting me know! I would have believed HTC was the first.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

With the exception of Oppo with the find 7 qhd display, is the Z2 the phone of early 2014?

It trumps the S5 and the Htc One (M8) IMO.

I base this on design, Specs, and useful features.

For me as an avid movie watcher and i am passionate about music the Z2 is most certainly targeted at me and no doubt millions of others. It also has that Camera that going by reviews and pics i have seen its pretty darn good (not without niggles) but what camera on a phone doesn't have any?

Sorry but your out of your mind. Im not planning on getting the S5 but I have read from a company that tests screens in an unbiased mannor that the S5 is the best screen on a phone ever test hands down. Though the sony is nice im not going to disagree with factual recorded statistics.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/04/the-best-smartphone-display-its-not-who-you-think-2/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Sorry but your out of your mind. Im not planning on getting the S5 but I have read from a company that tests screens in an unbiased mannor that the S5 is the best screen on a phone ever test hands down. Though the sony is nice im not going to disagree with factual recorded statistics.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/04/the-best-smartphone-display-its-not-who-you-think-2/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I'm not saying the s5 isn't a great screen, however in that article they don't actually compare the S5 display to anything besides the s4 and note 3 (both of which have oled screens). It seems they are just talking about how much better the oled technology is getting.

I would like to see them compare the s5's oled to a top LCD screen on another phone. I know they talk about it being comparable, and in some areas exceed LCD's but no actual data behind it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Who has ordered the Xperia Z2?

I for one think its the best media focused phone released to date. I have overlooked the Sony range until the Z2 which well and truly got my attention.

1)The Build is great

2)Noise cancellation tech

3)Great Camera

4)Light Skin

5)Great Specs with the 801 processor and 3gb of ram.

6)Waterproof

7)Battery and saving features

8)4k recording and output (future proof)

9)Great Screen Size and Screen in General

10)Expandable Storage upto 128gb.

These are my top ten reasons why i placed an order for the Z2.

Last edited by a moderator:

AirSupply

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Who has ordered the Z2?

My only concern at this moment is the glass back appears to be questionable in term of durability. One guy from XDA reported that his Z2 glass back got shattered just 3 days of use without damage or abuse.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

My only concern at this moment is the glass back appears to be questionable in term of durability. One guy from XDA reported that his Z2 glass back got shattered just 3 days of use without damage or abuse.

Spontaneous Shattering never heard of that one lol

This may be valid and lets hope this is limited, i tend to look after my phones and do my best not to drop them :p

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I would buy one if it would be released in the USA! The only way I would buy it unlocked is if it were a GPE

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I would buy one if it would be released in the USA! The only way I would buy it unlocked is if it were a GPE

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Its more or less GPE its a very light skin, but if that is your preference that's cool of course :)

raggi01

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

Its more or less GPE its a very light skin, but if that is your preference that's cool of course :)

Does it come with various additions that enhance the experience. I like stock android and all but cant help but feel like its really dull since its so basic. Im hoping that the sony ui has various additions to enhance the experience and make it not so boring!

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Intrepid:

Where have you read that the Oppo Find 7 has swift battery drain? The find 7 is superb, amazing camera which can take 50mp images, it has a removable battery which the Sony doesn't, carbon fibre rear, that gorgeous blue pulsing notifying light and its cheap too.

I think you are way underselling it.

And I have a Z2 on pre order so I'm no fanboy.

In other news, nice to see the Z2 is now judged to be the best camera a smartphone now.

Last edited:

liamd77

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

I'm starting a new thread on the sd card thing.

I want answers God dam it!