How Create Import File of Contacts with Pictures

netmation

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Can someone direct me to some instructions on how to format a custom file for importing of contacts with pictures into the Galaxy S5? I have my contacts in a spreadsheet with detailed information and want to create a custom import file. Thanks for any help.

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
Can someone direct me to some instructions on how to format a custom file for importing of contacts with pictures into the Galaxy S5? I have my contacts in a spreadsheet with detailed information and want to create a custom import file.

As you may already know, images and Excel don't work well together. Excel is great at handling character-based data (ie - names, phone numbers, address, etc).

From your question, it appears you are trying to populate your S5 with an existing set of Contacts. Are these existing Contacts also on another (perhaps older) phone?

netmation

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
My contacts are in an Excel spreadsheet. I would like import CSV data directly to the phone, without first importing into some other cloud based phone directory. Ideally I am curious if I can custom write the data into some format that would include a link to a photo. Thanks for the response.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If you go into your Gmail, then contacts, then put a check mark next to a contact, then click more, then click Export, then click Outlook (CSV), that will create an excel spreadsheet.
Now,how you merge what you have with what was just created is another story. But, when you export from gmail, there are no pictures.
If you find a way to merge what you have, with what google created, you would just import into your gmail contacts.I doubt you can add pictures in the excel, but it's real easy to attach a picture to a contact in gmail

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
My contacts are in an Excel spreadsheet. I would like import CSV data directly to the phone, without first importing into some other cloud based phone directory.

You have a cloud-free option using MS Outlook.
  • Import your CSV into MS Outlook on your desktop. This will populate Outlook Contacts.
  • Add Contact Photos to each record in Outlook.
  • Transfer Outlook Contacts to S5. Make sure the software you use to do this supports transfer of Contact Photos.

I'm not saying this is the best method, but it is *a* method.

netmation

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. Am I correct that there is not a method to import a CSV file into the Galaxy S5 directly? Is there an app that does this? It seems that all the solutions are around getting my data into Outlook or Gmail and then using a utility to sync.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know the answer, but if let's say you do this via Gmail, you can go through the process, sync, then cancel sync on your device, and delete your contacts from Google, or whatever cloud you use.
You got #s of some Hollywood stars or something? Lol

netmation

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
No Hollywood stars. It is just that I keep a single spreadsheet of all my contact information, and from that I can easily export certain subsets of it for different purposes: my outlook contacts, my wife's outlook contacts, our x-mas card list, those on want on my phone, and what my wife wants on the phone, business email newsletter, etc. This way I only need to change contact information at one place and frequently export it to different devices and/or applications. I think the answer is to write out some vcard (vcf) file that maybe can be imported straight into the smartphone, but I am not sure. I am new to smart phones, and my previous basic phone I simply used bitpim.org software application to import and update my phone directory. But I would think for smartphones there must be a better solution?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George Brian