Five Reasons Not to Buy the G3

Anthony212

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
It is really that noticeable of a lag? I would assume a software update would make it run smoother. I currently have a Galaxy S3 and looking to upgrade

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
More geared towards heavier users, since light to medium users should love the G3.

1. Qhd display is a weak fit for the 801. Per several reviews (Anandtech as example) the 801 is operating at it's gpu ceiling with Qhd.

2. In a few months there will likely be an 805 version to help battle against the iPhone 6. The gpu is designed to handle higher res better due to more memory bandwidth and higher gpu clock. Also the battery life is expected to be improved over the 801.

3. Performance is throttled to manage the display more efficiently and overrides of this impact battery life more.

4. For heavy use, the average battery life compared to other S800 series devices is 90 to 120 minutes less screen on time. Key being Heavy use. Light to medium use should see no battery life impact.

5. The display: Gets very warm and is sensitive to ambient temperature as a result. Also the sharpness issue that has not been confirmed to be a setting issue. It could be an issue with how the gpu behaves with the display tech. Hopefully not and is a setting issue.

That is it, though item five is really two issues, so technically six reasons.

Agree. I played with one in store and screen is nice but not noticeable compared to 1080p. I wish they would have put a larger battery in. But none of the flagship's wowd me. There also was lag when swiping screens and in app drawer. Similar to touchwiz

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm reading this, perhaps incorrectly, as stating something to the effect of:

For the most heaviest users, something that may or may not exist in the near future might be better than this - but today there is still nothing better available. That being said, it's not as big of a jump as some previous devices have been over their respective previous generations.

For someone shopping today, do you feel there is a better option? I don't personally feel this is the one device that's a winner for everyone, but I don't see your arguments detracting from it against anything currently available - just against it's theoretical future or wished for self. Am I misunderstanding?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm reading this, perhaps incorrectly, as stating something to the effect of:

For the most heaviest users, something that may or may not exist in the near future might be better than this - but today there is still nothing better available. That being said, it's not as big of a jump as some previous devices have been over their respective previous generations.

For someone shopping today, do you feel there is a better option? I don't personally feel this is the one device that's a winner for everyone, but I don't see your arguments detracting from it against anything currently available - just against it's theoretical future or wished for self. Am I misunderstanding?

For many people the G2 is still a very good phone, one of the best cameras out there, generally fast and better battery life. It is a phone for heavy users. The Note 3 and probably Note 4 is a very professional platform with a precision stylus for editing and sketching. Also heavy user phones.

Mercifully the G3 has launched at a compelling price, but unless I find a reall killer feature it's not compelling me to leave my current LG phone which is now proven and has far greater endurance.

erinxia

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
will need to watch more reviews on the product before i get one. I know for sure it will be a battery drainer, but hopefully not too bad.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
will need to watch more reviews on the product before i get one. I know for sure it will be a battery drainer, but hopefully not too bad.

Well while it ain't mind blowing, I can confirm its really good considering the screen.

I was browsing like mad, listening to music, taking a few snaps and it held through just fine.

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I was pretty impressed with my battery life today. I would say I am a medium user. I will get a better idea next week while working and traveling etc. For those on the bubble, I recommend trying it out since you have 14 days or whatever your carrier gives for no remorse returns. Only cost $35 on ATT to try it out!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The S600 is also 28nm, but had significantly less battery efficiency than the 800/801. The 805 is expected to have better battery life, but I agree that it still seems odd given the gpu has more bandwidth and a higher clock. Both to push Qhd as efficiently as the 801 pushes to 1080p.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I to was skeptical initially with battery life and all those bother things then I looked at the G3 in store. The screen is beautiful, its not to big for being 5.5" and this thing looks much better than the G2. The metallic back looks amazing. Someone earlier compared this to the Droid DNA a couple years ago. LG made a phone that has a future proof display just like HTC did with the DNA. People with the G3 will hear about all these other quad HD displays and be like I already have that. You also said the S3 was better than the DNA. Not true owned both and preferred the DNA a lot more

krijmo

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I got my LG G3 Wednesday from AT&T. I've not noticed any lag. It's lightning fast. I did go through and disable a lot of bloatware...
I have been astounded at the battery life. I'm a pretty moderate to heavy user, and it given me a full day with battery to spare. Its got a battery saving mode that you can set to start at any percentage of the battery. There's nothing on this phone that isn't customizable. Doesn't seem to have a voice Mic on the keyboard. Only thing I'm still trying to figure out...

Posted from my LG G3

Anthony212

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I got my LG G3 Wednesday from AT&T. I've not noticed any lag. It's lightning fast. I did go through and disable a lot of bloatware...
I have been astounded at the battery life. I'm a pretty moderate to heavy user, and it given me a full day with battery to spare. Its got a battery saving mode that you can set to start at any percentage of the battery. There's nothing on this phone that isn't customizable. Doesn't seem to have a voice Mic on the keyboard. Only thing I'm still trying to figure out...

Posted from my LG G3

I just got my G3 today also, I noticed zero lag and lightning fast. I love it. I'm coming from a Galaxy s3

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got my G3 today also, I noticed zero lag and lightning fast. I love it. I'm coming from a Galaxy s3

Same story here. I've noticed no lag. The first thing I did was to go outside in direct sunlight to test brightness. I had no trouble viewing the screen on a bright sunny day.

G3 is lighter and smaller than my Optimus G PRO with the same screen size. Still early to tell but battery life seems fine.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the S3 to the G3 is a very good step up. Even with Qhd, the G3 performs better than than the S3 in all aspects.

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Coming from the S3 to the G3 is a very good step up. Even with Qhd, the G3 performs better than than the S3 in all aspects.

I once had an S3 and you are right.

If I remember correctly isn't there a setting on the S3 that allows you to change the animation transitions? I can't seem to find that on the G3. Maybe that's what some people perceive as lag.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali