[MOD] Flashable buildprop edits (stock, stagefright, jit)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Rooted your phone? Have a custom recovery? Don't want to flash the best (arguably true since it's the only) custom ROM? But you still want those buildprop edits that enable stagefright and JIT? No problemo .... Androidcentral has you covered.

You must be rooted and have a custom recovery. This will not work any other way. The links to information posts on how to root and how to install a custom recovery are above. Any questions or issues related to rooting or recovery should be in those threads please :)

How To Use:
1) Download the Zip of the buildprop you'd like to use.
2) Put the zip on the root of your SD card. Do not open the ZIP and do not extract the ZIP.
3) shut your phone off then put it into recovery by holding the volume down + home + Power key until you hit the recovery screen.
4) Select flash ZIP from SD card
5) Select the zip you downloaded and put on your SD card (steps 1 & 2)
6) Confirm you would like to flash the zip, reboot phone after complete

Information:
The stock zip is completely stock v9 buildprop.
The Stagefright zip has only stagefright enabled and hw acceleration.
The Jit zip has only jit enabled.
Deluxe has, yeah you guessed it, stagefright, jit, and hw acceleration.

These edits (the deluxe) will take you from around 450ish quadrant score to around 950ish. And a linpack from 4ish to right around 7.5ish.

Want some before and afters? Beezy has you all covered in Post #3. THANKS BEEZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
A little before and after

Before
quadnohacks3.png
linpacknotjit2.png

After
Quadjitstage2.png
Linpackjit_stage2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Question. If I'm running ThudeROM 1.3 do I need to flash these or are they already enabled in the ROM?

ThundeROM thread Post 1 said:
ROM:
In a effort to keep things moving forward, we don't support builds that are not the most current version.
------V1.3 11/29/2010------
Everybody should do a full wipe, data/factory, cache, dalvik. This includes existing ThundeROM users
Roaming indicator fixed
Bluetooth profiles fixed
Enabled hardware acceleration - Thanks drellisdee
Enabled stagefright - Thanks olmos.lalo
AndroidCentral.com is now default homepage
Added bookmarks for Androidcentral.com & ThundeROM thread
Removed wireless tether app due to wifi radio issues
Included Hotspot widget by Harald Muller
(snip)
------V1 11/22/2010------
Users must wipe factory data, dalvik, and cache prior to flashing V1
Built from LS670ZV9
Rooted
BusyBoxed
Deodexed
PNGOptimized
Zipaligned
Zipalign on boot for all downloaded apps
JIT enabled (8ish mflops)
150mb free space after flashing
Improved memory management settings for battery and performance
VM adjusted for battery
WiFi Radio adjusted for battery
Custom status bar
Custom notification system
EAS bypass
Custom settings menu
Custom Launcher
Killed Boot sound
AndroidCentral.com dark wallpaper as default
Sprint ID completely removed (including launcher menu)
All google apps available in market have been moved to data/app
quick boot included in data/app
Android Wireless tether included in data/app
SprintZone moved to data/app so you can uninstall if you want
Sprint tutorial Widgets deleted

Looks like both are there if you are running the current version.

Reactions: kalex

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So are there any downsides to enabling HW accel and JIT? Such as battery life decrease due to performance increase? Nothing is free, otherwise it would have been enabled from the factory... (Well, as long as the marketing folks didn't have enough say to push for a limited phone so they could release "newer/faster" versions w/o costing them anything.) ;)

Thx

/still learning

nebody00

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
So are there any downsides to enabling HW accel and JIT? Such as battery life decrease due to performance increase? Nothing is free, otherwise it would have been enabled from the factory... (Well, as long as the marketing folks didn't have enough say to push for a limited phone so they could release "newer/faster" versions w/o costing them anything.) ;)

Thx

/still learning

Currently looking at this. I don't notice that much of a battery life drop but I'll need a couple more days to see if that is true.

dougdeep

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Thx

/still learning

Well, LG knows something, as here's their comment above where they disabled JIT:

# LGE_CHANGE [dojip.kim@lge.com] 2010-08-06, FIXME: VM jit bug: temporary workaround

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Damn bummer lol well whats the difference between hw accel and stagefright? Any way I can just do hw accel?

seconded. I wonder if HW acceleration in this situation is tied to stagefright. Can one be enabled without the other? Or is it all or nothing?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Damn bummer lol well whats the difference between hw accel and stagefright? Any way I can just do hw accel?

seconded. I wonder if HW acceleration in this situation is tied to stagefright. Can one be enabled without the other? Or is it all or nothing?

I believe stagefright and acceleration go hand in hand. The reason i think that is because, it along with Stagefright was turned off and also if you look at the buildprop, the field for acceleration is actually labeled "debug.sf.hw" and I'm pretty sure the sf stands for stagefright (which google refers to as sf a couple more times in other parts of the code) so if stagefright isn't turned on i don't know that, that field would do anything. Just a hunch though.

Feel free to tinker and play and do all that fun stuff :cool:

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I just tried the JIT-only to see if it fixed my streaming media problem (it didn't), but I decided to do some benchmarking to see what kind of performance difference there is while I'm set up like this.

Quadrant's score dropped significantly without stagefright, to a mere 490. Strange that quadrant's score seems to be so heavily effected by stagefright, while Linpack wasn't so much.

Linpack scored me a 7.61. That's more like it!

So why the discrepancy between these tests and their results? If anyone else is wondering, this is what I've concluded:
Quadrant tests a variety of processes on the phone, including decoding media. This is the one place that Stagefright offers a tremendous performance boost, especially when decoding h.264 video (which is apparently exactly what quadrant does during some of the initial tests). In fact, I can see that part of the test go by much faster if I watch the status text during the test. However, the rest of the test seems to go by largely at the same pace with stagefright vs. without. So it seems that because of that one test flying by, much of Quadrant's testing score goes up.

In other words- having stagefright enabled (and HW acceleration) really only boosts that one specific task, which I think artificially inflates our quadrant score.
Meanwhile, Linpack is a more CPU-centric test that accurately shows a processing time boost with JIT-enabled, and doesn't change at ALL with HW-acceleration or Stagefright.

What does all this mean??
Well, for starters, I'm beginning to question whether stagefright actually adds any value to the system at this point. I don't think it actually makes anything any faster other than video playback, which honestly never stuttered for me without it either (has anyone had any video playback problems without stagefright that was fixed by enabling it?).
When you consider that some people have had problems with playing back certain media with it installed, I wonder if LG wasn't correct to leave out stagefright entirely.
I'm still new to Android and figuring it out, so this all speculation at this point. But suddenly stagefright and the quadrant scores that accompany it seem mostly for bragging rights than any kind of real world performance gain.
Maybe I'm alone in feeling this way.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I think it's more like the phone doesn't have proper codec support for stagefright and with those added, you'd get the benefit of performance and better audio/video

EDIT - Also yes, this is something I've kind of been playing with to get all formats supported although is not big on my list. This falls within the "well I'm sick of working on (insert project)" so I'm gonna take a stab at this, category.

Last edited:

gooberlx

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in to say that my scores went from:
Quadrant: 417 --> 983
Linpack: 3.69 --> 7.223

Thanks for the files. :)

I just rooted and pushed the modded build.prop to /system. No custom ROM or recovery (as opposed to the instructions in the OP). I don't think that should be a problem....should it?

Kalums

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
ok so i cant play h264 codec'd movies at all w/ jit only or w/ " the deluxe", ideas?

edit : or w/ the stock build prop....

Last edited:

realmeister

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Took me a few hours to finally figure out exactly what I had to do, but then it worked in 5 minutes flat. Running the benchmark tool Quadrant Standard now.

Here are the results:

Before: 417
After: 965!