My three disappointments with LG G5

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
These are the reasons I'm personally going Galaxy S7 this year vs G5. Disclaimer: it's my opinion, your mileage may vary.

1) Large body yet smaller display. Need I say anymore? G4 had larger bezels than G3 and G5 is continuing that trend. Not good for my smaller than average hands or pocketability.

2) Added a secondary camera instead of massively improving low light quality on the primary rear camera. All the signs point to the main G5 camera being the same F1.8 aperture unit as last year, which is by no means a bad thing but I feel it's going to be outdone by Samsung's brand new camera sensor in low light situations and focusing speed.

3) Smaller battery. Yes, yes it's removable. But I'm the kinda guy who likes to carry less in my pockets not more, so I'd rather carry the larger-batteried Galaxy S7 or S7 edge than the G5 + a spare battery.

Bonus reasons: Water resistance IP68 and wireless charging support that the G5 lacks.

This is just my opinion. I'm definitely not trying to change your minds if you love the G5. I think it looks really really good, just for my needs Samsung have done better this year. Again, your needs may be different and that's totally fine!

Last edited:

ChrisR

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Agree with all 3 points. I started the day being excited about the G5 and wanted to love it but found the s7 pretty much what I need i.e decent size screen yet pocketable, improved low light camera and focus and bigger battery.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm also disappointed with the G5. Would have liked 5.7+" screen with slim bezels, back buttons, bigger battery, wireless charging and more attractive design. Don't really care about the camera and audio modules.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
The only thing keeping me from ever using a Samsung device is the backwards navigation buttons. I don't mind the physical home button, but I do mind having the back button where the recent button should be and vice versa.

Disappointed because I really wanted to like the G5. Coming from the G4, G3, Nexus 5, and Nexus 4, it looks like I need a break from LG. My eyes are on Motorola at this point.

Sgooter

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The only thing keeping me from ever using a Samsung device is the backwards navigation buttons. I don't mind the physical home button, but I do mind having the back button where the recent button should be and vice versa...
This is funny...in that I've been using Samsung for many years,and recently while searching for "the perfect" unlocked GSM/CDMA phone, I rejected the Moto X Pure Edition because of its backwards nav buttons. :)

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Agree on all 3 points, especially smaller display bigger phone.
Looks like G4 is going to get a second term.

LG NitroHD G2 G3 G4

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
This is funny...in that I've been using Samsung for many years,and recently while searching for "the perfect" unlocked GSM/CDMA phone, I rejected the Moto X Pure Edition because of its backwards nav buttons. :)
That's one perk to LG's UI. You can customize what's on your navigation bar and what order they're in. That should be standard.

Sgooter

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
That's one perk to LG's UI. You can customize what's on your navigation bar and what order they're in. That should be standard.
Yep, it should be standard. When I first read about that feature on the G4, I thought it was a really cool idea. When I saw the layout on the MXPE, I hoped that maybe it could be customized too, but it failed. IMO, there are other shortcomings on the MXPE, so make sure you study it closely before heading in that direction; already seeing them on Swappa.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
They made some strange software decisions IMHO...
Deleting option for manual mode video camera
Deleting option to use the app drawer
Deleting the option to use Q-slide and Dual window multi-tasking

Whats the point of having all that RAM and the speed / computational power of the Snapdragon 820... and not giving the consumer the choice to use it? Personally I do not see the G5 as a real flagship device with these kinds of limitations... not when the V10 excels in these areas even with its slower CPU.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Its too early to judge the g5's camera. As far as the bigger size im guessing its for a good reason since theres modules now.
I think samsung might have the better camera but in no way that means LG will have a bad one.
LG makes excellent hardware this is no exception. Im talking to you Huawei nexus 6p hint hint ******

Posted via the Android Central App

cal777flyer

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Agree with all 3 points. I started the day being excited about the G5 and wanted to love it but found the s7 pretty much what I need i.e decent size screen yet pocketable, improved low light camera and focus and bigger battery.

Spot on, my sentiments exactly. I also started the day looking forward to the G5, only to find myself gravitating towards the S7. I am concerned about cell signal and GPS lock and reliability. Hoping some reviews shed light on this. My previous Galaxy phone, long ago, the S2, had horrible GPS and spotty cell signal.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Yo chaps, I work for Samsung. I can confirm that official device specifications that I have been provided with includes OIS for both S7 and S7 edge.

Where did you hear the S7 wouldn't have it?

Don't you think it would be prudent to disclose the fact that you work for Samsung when posting your preferences in another forum?

Posted via the Android Central App from my LG G4

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I needed a bigger screen. I also am disappointed they're moving the back buttons. They're one of my favorite features. With that said, with Samsung taking away the removable battery, there really aren't any good new options, so I guess I'll be keeping my G4 for the foreseeable future. That's to bad because I'm itching for a new phone. Oh well...

mcostajr

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Granted that I've only seen hands on videos and haven't actually held the G5 in my hand, I have to say it is one of the ugliest phones--a "flagship phone" no less--that I have ever seen. The G4 and the V10 are such elegant looking phones.

And I'd like to reaffirm something already said: what's the point of having top of the line specs if all the value-added features have been stripped away?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Granted that I've only seen hands on videos and haven't actually held the G5 in my hand, I have to say it is one of the ugliest phones--a "flagship phone" no less--that I have ever seen. The G4 and the V10 are such elegant looking phones.

And I'd like to reaffirm something already said: what's the point of having top of the line specs if all the value-added features have been stripped away?

I wonder if they had to dial these things back in order to maintain SOT with its 2800mah battery? Lets not forget too they kind of ditched the ESS 32 bit DAC, and the high impedance headphone amp. Well... you have to pay extra for it anyways.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
They made some strange software decisions IMHO...
Deleting option for manual mode video camera
Deleting option to use the app drawer
Deleting the option to use Q-slide and Dual window multi-tasking

Whats the point of having all that RAM and the speed / computational power of the Snapdragon 820... and not giving the consumer the choice to use it? Personally I do not see the G5 as a real flagship device with these kinds of limitations... not when the V10 excels in these areas even with its slower CPU.

There is a video on Youtube showing that it does in fact have an app draw, you can turn it on in the settings. Not sire but the same may be true for Q slide and Dual window.

Everybody wants tuned down software but when that happens people complain about it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you.

Also... The back buttons. I know "everyone (okay, a lot of people whose comments I've read)" says this, but it bears repeating. I never thought I'd like back buttons on my device; and yet, here I am, loving my G3's back buttons more and more with each passing day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hooded88