My three disappointments with LG G5

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm curious to see how much bloatware this and the S7 Edge have. Overall I like the S7 Edge better (my current phone is a G3, btw), but with only 32 GB, Samsung's traditional bloat + carrier bloat, I'm a little hesitant. The 6p would be appealing if it weren't so bloody HUGE.

Will wait for the reviews and user reports before buying anything.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
There is a video on Youtube showing that it does in fact have an app draw, you can turn it on in the settings. Not sire but the same may be true for Q slide and Dual window.

Everybody wants tuned down software but when that happens people complain about it.

I wouldn't say everybody wants it that way, but certainly there are a LOT of people who are not comfortable making their own decisions how to set up their devices. Fortunately for those of us who want choice, there are plenty of options available.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
My biggest disappointment with the G5 is actually the software.

Yes, the smaller battery and larger bezels did bug me, but I was pretty disappointed in the software.

To me, it didn't see any improvement. It still isn't a looker. Lack of an app drawer in standard mode is weird (and it's back in "Easy Mode", which is also weird), and the use of more white-colored UI elements is just irritating to my eyes. If LG had put a good theme engine in it, it would be fine.

But here's the deal-breaker for me. Dual Window getting the shaft.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Spot on, my sentiments exactly. I also started the day looking forward to the G5, only to find myself gravitating towards the S7. I am concerned about cell signal and GPS lock and reliability. Hoping some reviews shed light on this. My previous Galaxy phone, long ago, the S2, had horrible GPS and spotty cell signal.

One of the YT reviewers was showing the antenna lies underneath a thin plastic piece of trim that runs around the perimeter of the metal shell. But it remains to be seen whether or not this is sufficient.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
One of the YT reviewers was showing the antenna lies underneath a thin plastic piece of trim that runs around the perimeter of the metal shell. But it remains to be seen whether or not this is sufficient.

I saw that review, guess you didn't hear it correctly. That trim is not all plastic, it is metal and in certain spots has plastic.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I like the direction so far with the UI but I wish they would update their icon pack. I hate the the square looking dialer icon, its a bit of an outdated look.

ybcthanerd

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Don't really care for either. TouchWiz is still horrible. Too much bloatware not enough change from last year and screen too small. LG has potential with the modular accessories but it probably won't take off. Seems like all the top phones are unlocked only. Nexus 6, moto x pure. Hopefully this htc has something to offer. Cause nowadays it's only like 4 flagship devices available on carriers.

Posted via the Android Central App

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
After having the G3 for two years and being very happy with it I was really looking forward to the G5 too. It just didn't reach out and grab me like the S7 did. After the first week I have exactly 0 complaints about the S7. If I'm as happy with it as I was the G3 that's 2 winning phones in a row.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I was also not really impressed with LG's G5 but I'm still holding out my judgement until I see and play with one in person.

My only concern about going with an S7 (or Note 6) this year is TW's notorious system slow down after a few weeks/months of use. Last night while I was at my parents place visiting them, my dad goes, "why is my damn phone so slow?!?!". He hasn't installed or done anything out of the ordinary with his Note 4. I told him thats Touchwiz dad. He has no idea what touchwiz is btw, lol.

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you swap batteries in your G3 today? If you do, I will bet that "bigger battery" thing with the S7 is not going to be as sufficient as you think. My S6E chews through its battery untethered in under a waking day. I expect the S7/S7E to do the same thing at a higher rate, even if the battery is slightly larger than the S6.

I want to stay with the Galaxy. I really do. I'm used to the design, and I've been a Sammy customer for four Android phones (and a Palm OS one, BITD). But, I've really, really missed the swappable batteries from my S5 over the last year with my otherwise-quite-nice S6E. Now, in order to last more than just breakfast to happy hour, I have to have my phone in a Mophie case, which makes it huge, or carry a battery pack and cable combo, which makes the phone a lot less "wireless" than one hopes a wireless phone will be. Plus, those external battery packs, when large enough to provide anything beyond a brief emergency reprieve on battery drainage are as large as the phone itself, volumetrically. Or, I have to have a cable and a charger (the very specific QuickCharge2.0 charger, if I want it to be anything less than sluggish taking its juice) and orbit wall sockets all day, also raising the wireful factor of this wireless phone, and increasing the bumps in my pockets to boot.

I know that to some, carrying extra batteries is the same as carrying a battery pack, but a PAIR of fully charged batteries isn't even the size of one of those external packs. And, their thinness makes them perfect for sliding into pants pockets unobtrusively. (Unless, of course, you're a skinny-jeans wearing hipster, in which case you have larger life choices to question than which cellphone you're going to buy.) And, the "recharge" from a swapped battery is instantaneous, as opposed to staying tethered to your Li-ion anchor for three hours while your slab gets its juice.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I was also not really impressed with LG's G5 but I'm still holding out my judgement until I see and play with one in person.

Agreed. I'm holding my judgement until I get to actually see it and hold it in my hand. That said, I'm disappointed that LG caved in and did away with the buttons on the back. I really love those.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I'm holding my judgement until I get to actually see it and hold it in my hand. That said, I'm disappointed that LG caved in and did away with the buttons on the back. I really love those.

Same here. Wish they hadn't gotten rid of it. I'm so used to the buttons on the back!! lol

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I have an S7E on order but seriously considering canceling for the G5. The removable battery means an easy swap in a year or so when 300 charges later the battery ain't like it used to be.

The aluminum back won't shatter. Probably that's what prevents wireless charging but I can live with plugging in in exchange for strength.

I don't understand the app drawer thing. Why burden users home screens with 100 extra shortcuts to remove one? I use nova anyway.

Haven't held one yet. That's important.

Would be nice to know how either works in known weak signal areas. After all it is a radio telephone. No one tests this.

Bluetooth dialing (with confirmation and without needing data) without needing to see or touch the phone is important. Safe calling while driving should be a prime factor in a mobile phone. No one tests this.

fresca2u

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I agree! I will rarely swap the battery day-to-day, but will definitely replace the battery when it ages and isn't holding as much of a charge. I have a three year old S4 on it's third battery. If I got a new phone every year, this probably wouldn't matter. However, I kept this S4 and the Razr before it for over three years.

I could maybe baby the S7/S7E fixed battery and live with it, but the glass back is the deal breaker for me. I haven't broken a phone in a very long time, but I know in my bones that I would have a crack in that glass long before I would be ready to change phones, and a crack, even if hidden, will drive me crazy. I won't use a bulky case, as my favorite purse is rather small and a big case on a big phone just won't work with it. I believe the aluminum G5 will have a much better life expectancy.

I don't understand LG's reasoning with the app drawer. I can understand turning it off by default to make it a bit more iPhone like. But removing the option for the classic app drawer (I understand there is a accessibility, larger icon mode with an app drawer) is bogus.

Yes, I can use Nova, but I would like to keep the cool features like Knock On... However, if I have to choose on over the other, Nova and the app drawer are going to win. There is no way I'll be able to keep up with moving icons into a folder as an app drawer substitute. I'm not that organized, and my phone screen would be a mess in between reorganizing it. Maybe LG will flex on this after release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArchyA