Release Date

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Not all of us are that mature. For example:

BIZZ!!!!! WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?!?!?! Tsk... Tsk... Tssskk... I know that was you just getting caught in the moment so I will let this slide haha.

Currently I am not sold on the Bionic. Motorola attempted to cripple the ability to hack their device and went in the exact opposite direction from the device that basically saved their company from going bankrupt. I wish they would look around and realize what the things were that made the Droid the top selling Android phone up until now. I need some good selling about this device to change my mind. HTC seems to be the only manufacturer that listens to their customers/users.

Trust me I fully know about this locked bootloader crap I'm not happy about it. My d2 is too easy to brick and very hard to recover. Gone are the days with the d1 it didn't matter what you had in the system what kernel etc just sbf it and your good. I am not fully sold on any phone at this moment but I know I'm tired of worrying about updates will my phone be supported for more than a year( locked bootloader). Give me something good almost completely open with great specs and support I'm sold
No Samsung

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I am all over the bionic like white on rice....or brown on brown rice or yellow on saffron rice....okay you get my point. Mid April is exactly what I am expecting as well.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Trust me I fully know about this locked bootloader crap I'm not happy about it. My d2 is too easy to brick and very hard to recover. Gone are the days with the d1 it didn't matter what you had in the system what kernel etc just sbf it and your good. I am not fully sold on any phone at this moment but I know I'm tired of worrying about updates will my phone be supported for more than a year( locked bootloader). Give me something good almost completely open with great specs and support I'm sold
No Samsung

I agree, but I think the bonus here is that a LOT of people will buy the Bionic much like they did for the D1/OG. When a lot of people buy into it, the support and mod communities really kick it into overdrive and get things done. It might not happen within the first month or two, but eventually they will have 1-click root and new ROMs and so on. Hell, even the DX who supposedly had a very difficult-to-crack locked bootloader is open now.

SolidOrange

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Why are people so worried about the launcher that comes on these? Just load a different launcher on it.

the reason most people are concerned has nothing to do with looks. adding blur, sense, touchwiz, etc, on top android significantly delays upgrades to future versions. i wish Moto had stayed with the formula of the original droid and left the bionic (and every other phone) unlocked with a vanilla android OS. there is a reason that the D1 has 10-15 solid custom ROMs and bunches of good kernels out there; developers would much rather work on a device that isn't constantly working against them.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Verizon 4G LTE Phone Release Dates?

Verizon 4G LTE Phone Release Dates?

bionic-and-thunderbolt.jpg

* HTC Thunderbolt ? End of February, early March
* Samsung SCH-i510 ? March
* LG Revolution ? March, early April
* DROID BIONIC ? Early Summer, June

Now, take this all as speculation at this time. We?re just going with every little detail that?s been dropped at our doorstep and are then attempting to piece the story together. All I can say is, can these get here fast enough? Anyone else bored with all of the current devices?

Source

Reactions: ShaggyKids

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
the panda said Easter for Bionic and I'd believe him over a June speculation...

that is more like April

If By Panda you mean black_man_x. I believe him to.. He has been nothing but truthful... Like I said June is just a speculation date that Droid-Life gave. Whenever the phone is released.. I will get it....

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have no reason to doubt blackman-x but it could be pushed for lte or battery life hopefully its not

Given the pressure to get the first gen of LTE phones to market, I could see them pushing the devices out as soon as they're functional and stable and then releasing a patch later with the optimization changes. So perhaps both are correct -- device in April, optimization patch in June?

macdaddybuff

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am really torn between this and the htc device. Bionic has killer specs but a locked bootloader most likely. HTC not as great specs but most likely no locked bootloader.

tmwilson02

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else seeing the Atrix TV commercials during the playoff games? Hopefully this is a sign that the battery issue is non-existent, which should apply for the Bionic also since they are basically the same phone.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The big difference between this and the atrix is that lte radio which has the potential to be the biggest drain

Why would it be? LTE radio runs at 700Mhz and isn't going to be the power drain of a device like the EVO which had WiMax @ 2.4Ghz.

It will add to the drain mainly because it is a new chip on the board that has to be powered vs the GSM HSPA+ being on the same chip.... unless the LTE/CDMA radio is on the same chip.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Why would it be? LTE radio runs at 700Mhz and isn't going to be the power drain of a device like the EVO which had WiMax @ 2.4Ghz.

It will add to the drain mainly because it is a new chip on the board that has to be powered vs the GSM HSPA+ being on the same chip.... unless the LTE/CDMA radio is on the same chip.

I don't know the specifics, but people who have tested out LTE have said it is horrifying on battery life during their time with it.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't know the specifics, but people who have tested out LTE have said it is horrifying on battery life during their time with it.

Must be a separately powered chip on the device then... Usually having to "light up" added silicon on the board is what causes the added power drain.

Also likely due to the fact that LTE radios are relatively young and not optimized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d