Android System using 30% battery

Luke Flegg

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
And it is a different device in a different location, with different towers, different apps installed and being used for differing volumes of time and has different settings. And 2.5 hours of SOT is still double the SOT your GSAM stats indicated. I mentioned that it's double in my first post.

EGG sactly Aquila : ] and of all those variables you mention, I believe our common purpose here is to isolate which are having the greatest impact on battery :)

dchobo

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Some apps are preventing the phone from going into doze mode...

Try greenify app to see which apps are running, then uninstall or hibernate them.

Turning off automatic updates also help.

Ben Turney-white

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
On Samsung phones Apps such as phone, messenger and more are all classed as system. Meaning if you are using your phone without any third party apps, and sending texts and ringing people, your gonna be using battery under the "system" name. This may vary from phone to phone, maybe you have a different default phone/ messaging app etc.

stayback500

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
This is my first adventure into Android since I went to iOS back with my 4S. I love my new S7. But one question I have is, I have had my phone for 3 days and my battery seems to be running down faster than I expected. When I look at the battery usage. The Android System is always first at 30% and Android OS second at 20%. Is that normal? It seems really high. I understanding it happening the first day as it is building files. But 3 days later?

I found the perfect solution. Of course youll have to dish up 1.50 . After searching found mention of an app called package disabler. It pretty much lets you disable all the bloatware and unecessary parts of the operating system. I got rid of multiple things including virtual reality service and knox. Its like macfee but unecessary. It Uses up a lot of power. I went from having to charge twice a day to once every three days. Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

dchobo

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
battery drain after the recent SW update (AT&T) may have caused the battery drain

try :

cache wipe

or do a factory reset (but make sure you backup your stuff; data will be deleted)

install greenify to hibernate apps

hope that helps

Dave Kemp

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
I've been having the same problems. Battery is draining too fast. OS and system are at 20% and 30%. Too high. I've cleaned everything and turned off everything useless and still nothing.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
then you have to live with this drain. I don't have the battery drain anymore after disabling it and now my battery is normal, when I don't touch the phone, it doesn't suck up battery like no tomorrow as it did before
No he doesn't. He just has to turn off all the other features of Google Now (which are the ones you mentioned) and just leave search as the one active. It's in the settings of Google app.

SkalaaLapsa

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I was having the same problem. I am no pro on this but I have put together several steps I found on various discussions. So far it has worked for me and my battery life has increased by at least 30%.
So here it goes:
1) Charge Your device and try to leave it alone after charging for at least an hour or so to see what is using Your battery while Your phone is on standby.
2) Go to battery settings and check which are the programs draining Your battery the most.
3) For me specifically the main problem was the android system altogether. As You can't turn it off for obvious reasons, the next step is to go to program settings and see the list with all of the programs.
4) Scroll through all programs to check for programs You don't need and uninstall them. Next check for those You don't seem to know (there will be various android - based programs) - most of them You need but some of them are rudimental. Click on them to see whether they have used any battery life since the last charging. If they haven't, leave them alone. If they have, google them to see what they are and do You need them. For me there where several programs I found I can disable (Or turn of, but most of them are built in so can't be uninstalled): S Voice, Gear VR Service, KNOX, OM Customize (not really sure about this one but nothing bad happened by turning it off). Of course that You can do if You don't use them.
5) Another major battery consumer was facebook. As I want my notifications and everything else, I didn't turn off background data but that can be done also. Also check for things You don't use, for me it was facebooks' "Nearby friends". Turned that one off. I guess there could be more.
6) I also changed google voice settings to recognize voice only when google page is open.

Of course You need to start off by the other suggestions that are here first, this is the last resort. For example my boyfriend got this same phone but from different dealer and doesn't have any of these problems and it is why I started my endevour on finding answers.

H2oflyer

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
I have found that the best app for monitoring your battery is "AccuBattery". It does a great job of listing battery draw per app, but I found the best feature for me was the screen off battery draw. I normally run around 1% / hour.

lunta

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing the same problem of a huge battery drain when the S7 is idle for example in overnight when the device is not used. I have uninstalled or disable almost all apps, but I doubt it is the apps' fault, battery manager shows that it is purely the "Android System" that drains the battery.

Here is the latest result. In the last evening I fully charged the phone, restarted it, closed all the apps from recent list, checked that all updates and backups were done before disconnecting the charger and leaving the device untouched during the night.

In the morning I discovered that the battery status was dropped down to 70%. That is a degrease of 30% in ~7 hours without doing anything with the phone. Now around noon there is less than 50% of battery remaining. Crap!

Screenshot_20170122-105522.jpgScreenshot_20170122-105533.jpg

My wife also has a Samsung S7, the exactly same model, bought in the same day from the same shop, we are living in same house, have the same operator, connected to the same Wi-Fi access point. Her devices loses about 3-5% of battery overnight.

When examining the battery usage between our phones it is even more clear that the sole reason is the "Android System". All the other apps and things (e.g. Cell, Idle, Screen, etc.) seem to consume about the same amount of power, except the Android System in my device has many times more CPU time and power usage.

What could be the reason? Is there any way to more accurately determine what are the processes that contribute in the "Android System" battery consumption reading? The battery usage window also lists lines "Data receiver via Wi-Fi" and "Data sent via Wi-Fi". What might be the units for the numbers? Kilobytes maybe? Anyway, this is also much larger number in my device than in my wife's S7, which indicates my device also transmits data while in sleep. Unfortunately this stupid thing doesn't distinguish different processes, but instead sums up everything as a "Android System" process.

I will now hard reset this phone and test the battery life with minimal changes to the system.

Wanderist

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have had the same issue lately. My thinking is the gear vr app that is part of the Oscar is running in the background. I've never used a vr device, but I DO use the Samsung Gear app for my gear Smeby watch. There easy an update a few months ago and I noticed my battery life dropped considerably.

lunta

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It looks like the factory reset fixed my S7. I have exactly all the same apps installed than before resetting, but now the Android system process drains no battery at all. 12 hours on battery and the phone has lost only 5% of battery:

EDIT 2.2.2017: Factory reset had nothing to do with it. In this data I had Wifi turned off, hence the small power consumption and disappearance of Android System in power usage listing. In my phone it is the WiFi that is eating the battery.

Screenshot_20170124-074535.jpgScreenshot_20170124-074553.jpg

Last edited:

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I should have looked at this thread before I posted separately ... same problem here. Factory Reset fixes battery life but only temporarily (couple weeks, usually).

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Android system has been at the top of my list so often, I just assumed it was normal. The only two things that are ever above it are cell standby (because my service is poor at my house), and recently, weather underground, which for some reason has been at the top recently (which is really odd).

John B11

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
What happened at the end did you manage to solve the battery drain?

My s7 drains when sitting idle on the table drains about 5% per hour and about 10 % per hour if browsing and 17 % if on youtube.

Factory reset (with no new apps installed - except gsam), still shows 5 % drain per hour when phone is just sitting idle. GSAM doesn't show anything strange except the fact the per hour drain when screen is off is still quite high.
when i first got it (less than a month ago) over night was only about 4-6 percent drainage now it is up to around 30 % per night!

My wifes s4 mini drains around 1 % per hour when phone is just idle sitting on table while s7 edge drains about 5% per hour and easily outlasts my s7 edge it is a disgrace ! for 700$+ phone

Has anyone solved this problem successfully ?

Surely there must be someone who as solved it or got it fixed or returned ?
The orange gsam photo is for s4 mini the others for s7 edge (pls notice the screen on time in both) Screenshot_20170129-092115.jpgScreenshot_20170129-092455.jpg20170129_002639.jpg

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Still haven't figured out if "android system" continuing to be at the top of my battery drain list despite wiping my cache on multiple occasions means my phone might be defective. Its battery life has been quite poor since day one.

lunta

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have tested this a little bit more. As we all already know the "Android System" is a sum of many different things and processes that consume power, which are, for some reason (maybe a technical reason), not listed individually. I don't know exactly which modules are included, but WiFi is definitely one, and it is a big one that may consume lots of power.

If your device in unused, like overnight, then Android System power usage is mostly WiFi standby power drain. Well, maybe if there are some updates or synchronizations, then this may also include some of the CPU power required by those processes. Anyway, if WiFi is on, then all the data transfer is done using WiFi, that will increase the WiFi module power consumption. If one's phone has lots of data usage, then obviously Android System is dominating in the list.

It is, however, a percentual number we are looking at, which must be compared to other processes in the list. If one plays some really CPU+GPU intensive games, they will definitely eat majority of the battery and the percentual value of Android System becomes insignificant.

I have now had my device for 6 hours with WiFi turned off and the Android System doesn't appear in the battery list at all. With WiFi enabled, Android System would read something >30%. That supposedly is the WiFi idle current.
I have a fast AC1200 dual-band ASUS AC56U router. Next I will test if connecting only to the 2.4GHz frequency signal is more energy efficient than the full speed AC-speed.

Screenshot_20170202-170942.jpg

I also tried the GSAM battery monitor app. What is wrong with it? It shows completely different statistics that the built in battery monitor. See the attached screenshots above and below taken at the same time.

Screenshot_20170202-171009.jpg

EDIT 3.2.2017

As I mentioned before, I tried connecting to slower WiFi. Here is the overnigh result in battery consumption. It indeed seems that the 2.4GHz WiFi consumes much less power than the fast 5GHz/AC connection. Here can be seen that the Android System again doesn't even show up in the list. I wonder why Google Fit has eaten that much power, the phone has been standing still whole night.

Screenshot_20170203-075101.jpg

Last edited:

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I found a suggestion on another couple threads, which is to disable Google's Backup My Data under Settings>Backup and Reset. It's been reported as a known bug that interferes with Doze. I've only tried it for one night but the phone started dozing again as soon as I disabled backup.

salvuchi

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I read every text in this thread because I have this issue. And I tried every advice: I disabled AOD, I installed the package disabler and disabled all that was eating battery (this app does nothing, I verified this), I tried restricting networks to 2G/3G only, disabled location and enabling only when needed (this is a pain in the ***), I disabled Samsung Pay card access from screen, I tweaked all the advanced features that could impact on battery, I don't have Facebook, I disabled the Google backup, I disabled Google photos from backing up anytime, and the list goes and goes... I think I have tried everything, and the result is meaningless. I can honestly say that the difference between having a dumbphone and a smartphone makes no important difference in battery in my case. With everything enabled, the duration is more or less the same. And it's very bad! I come from an iPhone 6 Plus and I start day at 9 AM, well my old iPhone normally was at 20% battery more or less at 2 AM when I go to sleep. This is impossible with my S7, battery lowers 10% after my first hour of use. Now its 17.22 and battery is at 50% so there is no way I will make it to the end of the day, so I'm charging now. If I didnt charge it, battery would die at 22 or 23. So, with this phone, I have to charge TWICE a day to be able not to worry about battery. To sum up, my battery lasts 14hours average with a max of 3 hours of SOT. This is really different from other people I see here or in YouTube that have 6 hours of SOT and 36hours of use. Of course, I tried factory reset with no results. What is wrong? What else can I do?

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I read every text in this thread because I have this issue. And I tried every advice: I disabled AOD, I installed the package disabler and disabled all that was eating battery (this app does nothing, I verified this), I tried restricting networks to 2G/3G only, disabled location and enabling only when needed (this is a pain in the ***), I disabled Samsung Pay card access from screen, I tweaked all the advanced features that could impact on battery, I don't have Facebook, I disabled the Google backup, I disabled Google photos from backing up anytime, and the list goes and goes... I think I have tried everything, and the result is meaningless. I can honestly say that the difference between having a dumbphone and a smartphone makes no important difference in battery in my case. With everything enabled, the duration is more or less the same. And it's very bad! I come from an iPhone 6 Plus and I start day at 9 AM, well my old iPhone normally was at 20% battery more or less at 2 AM when I go to sleep. This is impossible with my S7, battery lowers 10% after my first hour of use. Now its 17.22 and battery is at 50% so there is no way I will make it to the end of the day, so I'm charging now. If I didnt charge it, battery would die at 22 or 23. So, with this phone, I have to charge TWICE a day to be able not to worry about battery. To sum up, my battery lasts 14hours average with a max of 3 hours of SOT. This is really different from other people I see here or in YouTube that have 6 hours of SOT and 36hours of use. Of course, I tried factory reset with no results. What is wrong? What else can I do?

Only thing left to do is flash a different version of the OS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaze_3ds