HTC Boost+ app yay or nay?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi I'm kinda toying with this app I have previously been led to believe that task/app killer apps are counterproductive to Android and actually contribute to battery drain.

However, I did a couple of experiments with it and found it actually helped my phone.... One time I was getting bad standy time so I manually did a chance clean and then I noticed that I had much better standy drain. Now I realise I might have achieved the same result by restating the phone or clearing the cache but I think some of its features are kinda useful especially the game booster... however according to this Android Central web write-up HTC Boost app is the most useless HTC app ever made....so I'm interested to hear what other AC users think?

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.androidcentral.com/htcs-new-boost-app-their-worst-idea-ever?

However, I love the game mode on this app and

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Mostly nay.

I don't like task killers in general because I find that they are a solution to a problem that hasn't existed in Android for a while now.

Boost+ actually has some features I like, but I think it's weird that HTC is bundling an app that its software UX really doesn't need.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I find the task killer/boost apps work briefly, then the apps and processes come back on as they need to be on in the first place. You can check memory and see it climb back up. With 4GB RAM devices I'm thinking it's really not needed anyway. This could even be counter productive and a cause of maybe a slight increase in power consumption. Other than that I doubt it hurts anything. A simple reboot once in a while is probably good.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I uninstalled it.

You buy a device with 4gb of RAM so that you can use 4gb of RAM. Android can manage RAM better than you.

So many so called tech enthusiasts don't seem to know anything about computing.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I like the new update with the background stop feature... I hate that some apps stay running in the background even when u remove them from your recent app list and it stops them and keeps them stopped until I open the app again... the app is more than a task killer but it looks like that's what it is so a lot of ppl wrote it off but I actually like it

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I like the new update with the background stop feature... I hate that some apps stay running in the background even when u remove them from your recent app list and it stops them and keeps them stopped until I open the app again... the app is more than a task killer but it looks like that's what it is so a lot of ppl wrote it off but I actually like it
So is the background stop a duplication of Greenify app functions?

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I never used it until last night. I turned it on for "smart boost" and the phone was noticeably faster afterwards. I periodically turn the phone off for a bit every week or so anyway. Does anyone know about its clean up? For example it has a lot of space it wants to clean for photo apps, Is that like deleted photos? I was worried if I clean it all out then it will have to rebuild the thumbnails, etc. I doubt cleaning the "dictionary" is a good idea though :)

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I never used it until last night. I turned it on for "smart boost" and the phone was noticeably faster afterwards. I periodically turn the phone off for a bit every week or so anyway. Does anyone know about its clean up? For example it has a lot of space it wants to clean for photo apps, Is that like deleted photos? I was worried if I clean it all out then it will have to rebuild the thumbnails, etc. I doubt cleaning the "dictionary" is a good idea though :)
I don't uncheck anything so it doesn't delete photos... I'm cleans the cache or something but I haven't had anything missing and I do the clean thing once a week and let it do the smart boost automatically

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't say it does anything very significant bc I've had it enabled since I got the phone so IDK what the phone is like without it but I can say my phone runs just fine and I rarely restart it

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I can't say it does anything very significant bc I've had it enabled since I got the phone so IDK what the phone is like without it but I can say my phone runs just fine and I rarely restart it
Since it updated, it seems my battery is lasting a lot longer over night, in standby. I'm sure this is also because of doze, but since the update my battery is at about 96% after 8 hours. Used to be around 90%......

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Since it updated, it seems my battery is lasting a lot longer over night, in standby. I'm sure this is also because of doze, but since the update my battery is at about 96% after 8 hours. Used to be around 90%......
Since the app update mine has been lasting longer on standby as well... I think it is because they incorporated the background app killer feature... I get notified about an app being shut down once in a while that I didn't even know was opened

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I uninstalled it.

You buy a device with 4gb of RAM so that you can use 4gb of RAM. Android can manage RAM better than you.

So many so called tech enthusiasts don't seem to know anything about computing.

I have also disabled it. I trust Android for memory management and I never have any issues with my phone. I get 4 to 4,5 SOT when on WiFi. When I am on the road I get 2-3 hours SOT, but this is mainly me moving around all time and connecting to different 4G cells.
Performance is also very good and I never experience any stutters or slow downs.
Deleting cache files is not something I would recommend either. There is a reason for these files to exist. They speed up the operation of apps.
Anyway, unless something dramatically changes, I am not enabling Boost+.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
So just out of interest because I'm a bit nosey how much free memory do you guys and girls have left on the status screen? I have about 25% free at most times..

49bc97b72d65550a668b16dad60f4d58.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez