HTC 10 Owners: First Impressions, Initial Reviews Thread

RobDogOne

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I wonder why my battery drains from 80% to 61% over night when I do not use the phone. However, throughout the day I have excellent battery. I think something is wrong in the night why when I am not using my phone the battery drains that much.

Maybe a Ghost is using your phone to surf the web while you're sleeping.

Posted via the Android Central App

leops1984

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I've had my HTC 10 as my full-time daily driver for about a week, so my thoughts on it are below. Background on my previous smartphone ownership to help understand where I come from: ex-Windows Phone user, first HTC device ever, limited Android experience from an Asus 8-inch tablet.

Physical Design and Build Quality

This'll sound shallow, but the looks and build of the HTC 10 played a huge part in why I picked it against its immediate competition (the S7). I like the look of the chamfer - it's a unique visual element that helps the phone stand out. I prefer having a metal back to a glass one, which I think will be more durable in day-to-day use. The build quality is also great - it looks and feels like a premium product. My only complaint? I wish it came in more colors. I have the silver grey version, but I would have snapped up a red version (like the one in the Japan market) if it was available. I don't particularly find the HTC 10 slippery or heavy, but I was coming from a phone (the Lumia 920) which was both heavier and has a glossy plastic finish, so maybe I'm just used to it.

Display

I'm one of those color purists who dislike overly bright, saturated displays. I find the HTC 10's screen to be very good. The DPI of the screen is outstanding. The brightness could be a bit of a challenge in extreme outdoor conditions, but I haven't had to be in such conditions. The auto-brightness could be a lot better - it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the brightness.

Performance and Software

Simply put: wow. Okay, granted, my other mobile devices were slow as molasses (Windows 10 Mobile on a 920 is painful; Android on a device with 1GB of RAM is pretty dire). But still: this is a fast phone. Everything about it is fast and doesn't get in the way. I haven't used Android enough to really stress it to the limits, but so far I like the version served up on HTC. Certainly, it feels more out of the way than ZenUI on Asus tablets can be.

I just have two complaints, one of which isn't unique to HTC and more about Android in general. I still don't like the grid-of-icons look of Android, especially because there's so much space between icons. What i'd do for more columns (I'm used to having six icons across the screen from my Windows devices).

The other is the gestures - specifically the Motion Launch gestures. I like the concept, but more often than not they don't work well for me. I have to do the gestures in a slightly slow, deliberate motion - I can't just flick my fingers. It's faster for me to just hit the fingerprint reader, which is VERY fast.

Sound

When I was reading the HTC 10 reviews I was very excited to see it had good audio performance. I wanted to hear it for myself - and was not disappointed at all. My headphones are either a Sennheiser PX-100 II or a Sennheiser HD598. In both cases, I would rate the output of the HTC 10 as equal to my previous portable audio setup - an iPod classic powering a Fiio E11 amplifier. The HTC 10's sound signature is perhaps a bit more bass-heavy than the iPod+E11 combination, but not overly so.

The only downside of using the HTC 10 as a music player is that the Android platform and iTunes don't particularly play well together - and all my music is in iTunes. Any recommendations for a good app which supports the Apple Lossless format?

Battery life

My previous phone had Qi charging, and I'd gone out of the way to buy a charging pad both at home. While not good for the battery's lifespan, it did negate most concerns about battery life in daily use.

That's not the case with the HTC 10. I let it charge overnight (turned off) and I could probably make it through the day without recharging. Considering this includes somewhere from 1.5-2 hours of screen-on time while using Waze, plus the normal usage of the phone during the day. it's not bad. However, just to stay on the safe side, I usually end up recharging the phone once mid-day off an Anker charging station. While the lasts-two-days claim from HTC is, well, laughable, for most people it shouldn't be a problem.

Overall

I buy my phones upfront and unlocked, so this was not a cheap purchase at all. My experiences so far have been very positive, with my complaints more about Android and less about the device. Would I choose this over the S7? Aside from its advantages now (primarily the audio), I believe that it will hold up better in the long term (quicker updates, more durable exterior). Anyone looking to spend the money on a 2016 flagship should give the HTC 10 a look. Nexus fans should be excited as well - one wonders how much HTC DNA will be in the 2016 Nexus devices if the rumors are true.

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Here's my review! Lots love and a bit of frustration ;)

I'll probably keep using the phone, though. But it’s a loyalty to HTC thing. And an irrational love of the HTC 10’s design and software. Maybe the speakers and audio quality. I honestly don’t know. It’s definitely been a somewhat frustrating experience. Then again, that’s typical for any type of love: you try to deal with the shortcomings*:D

My review (a bit long to post here ij full) : *http://www.madformobile.com/en/htc/htc-10-review/#ixzz4AXIHW5oS*

markdoc

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I've had the USA Verizon HTC 10 for 5 days. I'm partial to HTC and my progression has been Thunderbolt, DNA Droid, HTC One M8, HTC One M9 and now HTC 10. I agree with "I Can be Your Hero" with most things so I won't repeat everything he said. I just want to go into more detail about the sound. That's because I buy phones so I can hear and be heard. I buy cameras to take pictures. If you want great pictures with a phone, then buy a great camera that has a phone in it. Call me weird, call me a rebel, that's my opinion. I too liked the front facing speakers of the 8 & 9 more than the "10". At least at first. There is a big difference between the bottom speaker of the "10" and any other phone speaker I've seen. It is a true air pushing base speaker. If you put a finger over the bottom speaker, you don't feel the normal vibration. You feel air waves pulsing to the music. It's definitely a different sound than other phones, but I think I'm going to like it. That's not even the important part. It's definitely the earphones but it's not necessarily the ones HTC gives away. I'm in the USA and we don't get them. I have two pair of HTC earphones. OEM that came with the M9 and HTC Active Earphones that HTC sells for $40. I use the Active earphones. Here's the good part. When you first plug them in, an earphone setup app opens. You need a quiet room. You insert your "phones" into your ears and follow the program. It tests each ear individually at five different frequencies, with you telling the program when you just hear each sound. I have never heard these earphones sound so good. The hell with the camera, the sound is unbelievable. I've never bought expensive earplugs because I didn't think they could sound that great. I've already put Comply cushions on the HTC and the sound got even better. (I heard about Comply in another article) I may just buy $100 earplugs if I can scape up the cash. Even if I can't, I'll be in my own little musical world with my earplugs, grooving to the beat.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a large collection of phones. I went from feature phones to an ancient Windows phone to some LG monstrosity that masqueraded as a smartphone. Then I made the jump to the smartphone realm, bouncing from LG to HTC. So I've gone from the One X to the One M8 to the 10.

The M8 was the first phone I've fallen in love with. It ticked all the boxes and met all my needs. Well, except for the camera. Let's face it, the camera sucks rocks. Horrible decision on their part, but that's history.

Along comes the 10. Is it Bo Derek running towards me on the beach? Nah. Not a perfect 10. But yowza, this is one sweet phone!
Call clarity is off the charts.
The new Boomsound is different but in a very good way. Rich, room-filling sound with great clarity.
Display resolution is excellent. Yes, you have to crank the brightness all the way up if you want it to compete with the sun. LCD display < massive ball of fusing hydrogen. Get used to it. Polarised sunglasses? Find some that match the phone's screen polarity. Easy peasy, for about $10. Zero UV makes the best Wayfarer knockoffs.

The camera. The 800-pound gorilla in the room. I wasn't that impressed with my initial photos when I got the phone. Average quality at best. Then the update hit. I posted a bunch of photos I took at Disney's Epcot and Magic Kingdom. Holy moly, I love this thing. It got to the point I put my regular camera away and used the 10 for all my shots because the results were so much better. Focus was super fast, letting me take multiple snaps in rapid succession. Night and dark photos were noise-free.

Best phone ever? Yeah, let's see any phone hit that mark. Is it a phone I would recommend? Absolutely.
As far as it being the best phone? It's the best phone for me.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a large collection of phones. I went from feature phones to an ancient Windows phone to some LG monstrosity that masqueraded as a smartphone. Then I made the jump to the smartphone realm, bouncing from LG to HTC. So I've gone from the One X to the One M8 to the 10.

The camera. The 800-pound gorilla in the room. I wasn't that impressed with my initial photos when I got the phone. Average quality at best. Then the update hit. I posted a bunch of photos I took at Disney's Epcot and Magic Kingdom. Holy moly, I love this thing. It got to the point I put my regular camera away and used the 10 for all my shots because the results were so much better. Focus was super fast, letting me take multiple snaps in rapid succession. Night and dark photos were noise-free.

Best phone ever? Yeah, let's see any phone hit that mark. Is it a phone I would recommend? Absolutely.
As far as it being the best phone? It's the best phone for me.

The M7 was the first phone I absolutely loved. It was the first phone with a 1080p screen. The build was amazing. The camera was my only point of contention. I still loved the original Zoes and I took a bunch of my boys. The software was on point and those Beats Audio powered front facing speakers made me say wow!

Now fast forward three years(after a year with both the M8/M9 and only 2 weeks with the awful S6 edge😂), and I have come to feel the same way about the 10. I can't say enough good things about this phone. It's everything the successor to the M7 should have been and more. Obviously, I know the tech wasn't there two years ago but, this phone is finally a phone I can say I'll be content with for a couple years.

The M7 I knew I would upgrade from, only because of the camera. The M8 I knew I would upgrade from mostly because of the camera but also because I didn't like how slippery and unwieldy it was. The S6 edge, well, it was a phone I never even should have tried. The ONLY thing I liked was the camera. I will never try a locked down phone, ever again. Samsung needs to get their ish together. Then the M9 I knew I would upgrade from because of the screen quality and the camera.

This phone is the first phone I can honestly say, I don't feel a need to upgrade after two weeks. Waiting for what's next. It's also the only phone I haven't started perusing the XDA forums for a mod or a custom ROM.
Now I have the total package. Perfect, no. But like you said, the perfect phone for me.

From me to you by the Power Cosmic

barryb20

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Got my HTC 10 today nice handset, only downside is a yellow tint at the bottom of the screen, noticeable especially in the settings, mail anything with a white background.

Those that mentioned it in earlier posts, did this disappear over time?

Stykthyn

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Got my HTC 10 today nice handset, only downside is a yellow tint at the bottom of the screen, noticeable especially in the settings, mail anything with a white background.

Those that mentioned it in earlier posts, did this disappear over time?

The yellow is not normal. The pink hue is while the color settings can all but make it disappear. I would return it.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The M7 was the first phone I absolutely loved. It was the first phone with a 1080p screen. The build was amazing. The camera was my only point of contention. I still loved the original Zoes and I took a bunch of my boys. The software was on point and those Beats Audio powered front facing speakers made me say wow!

My M7 was the second phone I truly loved (the first was the OG Droid...pretty close to magic back then!). Not to be too nitpicky but the first 1080p phone sold in the US was the HTC Droid DNA, which was also a nice phone but hampered by a smallish battery and only 16gb o RAM and no SD card...my phone right before my M7.

Posted via the 10

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Not to be too nitpicky but the first 1080p phone sold in the US was the HTC Droid DNA, which was also a nice phone but hampered by a smallish battery and only 16gb o RAM and no SD card...my phone right before my M7.

Posted via the 10

Must have been a Verizon exclusive. Was never even on my radar...

barryb20

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The yellow is not normal. The pink hue is while the color settings can all but make it disappear. I would return it.

Thanks, it is not bad bad, just noticeable and seems to get more obvious the longer the screen has been on for with the white looking more yellow than the top three quarters of the screen (or my eyes notice it more).

I come from using AMOLED screens the past few years so couldnt recall if this was normal LCD behaviour as he tint isn't drastic just more annoying.

My S6 on the other hand has a better all over white!

radiogirl83

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Here's my review! Lots love and a bit of frustration ;)

I'll probably keep using the phone, though. But it’s a loyalty to HTC thing. And an irrational love of the HTC 10’s design and software. Maybe the speakers and audio quality. I honestly don’t know. It’s definitely been a somewhat frustrating experience. Then again, that’s typical for any type of love: you try to deal with the shortcomings*:D

My review (a bit long to post here ij full) : *HTC 10 review: A lot of love, and a lot of frustration | Mad for Mobile

I have the Galaxy S7 edge here, but I keep using the HTC 10. After a while, I decided it was mostly because of 5 things.

1. Home button
2. Even faster charging
3. The sound
4. HTC Sense is better than Touchwiz
5. USB C a lot easier

Even created a video about it : https://youtu.be/S7ykAGVTeSM

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the Galaxy S7 edge here, but I keep using the HTC 10. After a while, I decided it was mostly because of 5 things.

1. Home button
2. Even faster charging
3. The sound
4. HTC Sense is better than Touchwiz
5. USB C a lot easier

Even created a video about it : https://youtu.be/S7ykAGVTeSM

It's not blasphemy if it makes sense!!! 😁 I have a Nexus 9 and wish they had a Sense port because I'd flash it in a heart beat.

SkypilotOfHope

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I wonder why my battery drains from 80% to 61% over night when I do not use the phone. However, throughout the day I have excellent battery. I think something is wrong in the night why when I am not using my phone the battery drains that much.

I have noticed this, too, after the latest update. If I leave my phone charging overnight, even with the light green, it's usually somewhere in the 70-80% range by morning. However, if I catch it at 100%, and disconnect from the charger, I'm good-to-go. Weird. Have only experienced this on 1.80.617.1.

Posted via my HTC 10