Dot View Cases

Jon Sewald

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I just got an Eye yesterday. I love it. Although, I'm much more paranoid about not having a case for it. I'd like a dot view case, but, there doesn't seem to be an official one. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I just got an Eye yesterday. I love it. Although, I'm much more paranoid about not having a case for it. I'd like a dot view case, but, there doesn't seem to be an official one. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
I don't think there is anything along those lines. Unfortunately, that's the tradeoff decision you'll need to make. If you are careful enough, it should be OK with the Dot case. However, I also understand that accidents happen, and having something beefier to give the peace of mind might be the better choice.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Jon Sewald

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I ended up chatting with their support. At first they told me there was not dot view case. I sent him a link from their store that shows the dot view for the Eye, but still shows the picture for the M8's, and he said, "Oh, maybe there is." After reading some peoples reviews about the dot view case for their other devices, I decide to just get an Otterbox.

Last edited by a moderator:

rfortson

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I have this Mofi case which I really like, but I too want a Dot View case. They are out there. Ebay has a ton of them, as does Amazon. I had one ordered on ebay back in early December right after getting my phone but it was never delivered so I got a refund. I'm planning on ordering one from Amazon. When it gets here, I'll let you know how it is.

Here's my review on the Mofi case.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-desire-eye/472614-mofi-case-desire-eye.html

UPDATE - Just ordered this case from Amazon for $13. I'll let you know how it works.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RYWHIH0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jon Sewald

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I just got my Otterbox case today. It is certianly sturdy, but it about doubles the size and weight of the phone. Not to mention, the attached screen protector is plastic, and it mutes the colors a bit. I'm not completely sold. I'm curious to see how you knock-off case works out for you.

rfortson

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
So I got my knock off Dot View case from Amazon today and it seems to work as it should. Fair protection and it's pretty cool looking at the different notifications. For $13, it's a no-brainer, even if I switch back to the Mofi case. I think I paid about $30 total for these two cases. Can't beat that.

rfortson

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I've used the Dot View knockoff for a few days. Seems okay, but I think I'll go back to my Mofi case. Here are my thoughts on the two.

Function - The Dot View case provides Dot View, duh. But it's pretty much a parlor trick with limited utility in my daily use. Maybe there will be more functions either from HTC or independent developers in the future, but right now, I think it's a neat trick but just doesn't greatly improve my utility. The magnet does automagically tunn on/off the screen, which is handy. The Mofi obviously doesn't support Dot View and doesn't have a magnet for screen toggling. All main ports are available with either case on, but the Mofi can muffle the front speakers with the Dot View doesn't as much. The Mofi flips out to landscape, great for watching videos, while the Dot View doesn't.

Camera - Both cases have proper cutouts for the camera and flash. However, the Mofi case is a little thicker and the cutout for the flash causes some unwanted reflection of the flash onto the lens, causing a flare on the photo. If you don't use the flash, this is a non-issue. However, it's an issue if you plan to use the flash.

Protection - The Dot View provides decent protection, but the Mofi is much more substantial for about the same footprint. The front cover of the Mofi seems like it's metal or something equally rigid, and provides great screen protection.

Material of construction - The Dot View is a somewhat tacky rubber ("tacky" as in it doesn't slip). The Mofi is a black leather ("pleather"?) and just feels higher quality. Plus the leather makes it easier to slip into your pocket. The rubber of the Dot View doesn't want to slide anywhere.

Cost - they both cost about the same, cheap, so I like having both. However, I'll probably use the Mofi on a regular basis.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RYWHIH0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon.com: HTC Desire Eye leather case (Black) Anoke@ Stand Slim Flip PU Leather Cover Soft Back Case Shell Compatible for HTC Desire Eye (Mofi Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87