Root is now here (easy way)

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CM91, did you also install a custom rom, or did you just do root only?

EDIT: NVM, I see in your other post that you are running the froyo rom v23, lol.

Just installed the OTA from Verizon this morning, and I must say it seems very responsive. I was going to do the whole nine yards (root, custom rom, overclock), but now I may just root.

Oh, also thinking about installing the engineering bootloader to get rid of the Hboot 1.49 S-on. Have you done that yet?

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone posted the OTA ROM that's supposedly going out right now, for those of us who are too impatient to wait for Verizon to get to our phones (or who are worried that our 2.1 v3 leak won't be chosen to receive the update)?

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
OK -- I took the bait and got the phone rooted using the procedure listed above. However, I need su to get an app to work the way I want to.

XDA says that I have to flash the su.apk to get SuperUser status. Not sure how to do that. I realize that I'm about the millionth person to ask, but the XDA forum participants basically tell you to search how, and searching the XDA forums turns up next to nothing of use.

Please indulge someone new to rooting and flashing ROMs and let me in on the secret (although I'm a technical person, slow step-by-step for-dummies directions are probably best). All I want is a rooted Eris with su access.

Thx, folks...

CrackMonkey91

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
OK -- I took the bait and got the phone rooted using the procedure listed above. However, I need su to get an app to work the way I want to.

XDA says that I have to flash the su.apk to get SuperUser status. Not sure how to do that. I realize that I'm about the millionth person to ask, but the XDA forum participants basically tell you to search how, and searching the XDA forums turns up next to nothing of use.

Please indulge someone new to rooting and flashing ROMs and let me in on the secret (although I'm a technical person, slow step-by-step for-dummies directions are probably best). All I want is a rooted Eris with su access.

Thx, folks...

well if you already have the file you put your phone in to recovery mode from there you go to where is says flash from SD click on it then find your file and say yes i want to flash this and just reboot
I know i did not say it stupid simple but if any of this did not make sense i will go one step in making it more simple

ALSO most cutom roms already have the APK in them so it would be a lot easier to just get a rom and flash that in too and that way you get the file and plus you get alot of cool stuff if you scared just get the Evil Eris Rom at XDA its a room with no real bugs that i could find

EDIT: and sorry if i dont respond fast cause im mostly in the XDA forums now i rarely come here cause theres not many eris users here anymore

Last edited:

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Took a little extra work, but

As it turns out, I had to use the process detailed in the link off of the initial XDA page. Took flashing engtools to get the root to take. But I seem to be OK now.

Thx

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Dont worry I havent rooted or tried yet because i realized how unclear my question is and how unclear the information is to me also. Basically i need a link or something with a how-to/step-by-step for newbies on how to put this root on my phone. I mean, am i supposed to just put the recovery img in the root of my sd card??? Im confused on how to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated and i apologize for not being able to understand this.

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Root and the new OTA

Will the new OTA overwrite root access? If so, will the procedure above work on the new version?

If not, then does one treat the manual update file the same as a custom ROM and update using that method?

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Jldeitch, I was wondering the same, I did the manual update last night which I was pleasingly surprised to see work for leakers like me. Crackmonkey, thank you for finding that for me.

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Manual OTA update and rooted Eris

Well, I couldn't get the rooted Eris to take the manual update file. The phone says it can't find the signature for the zip file, and aborts. So I guess I have to wait for the actual OTA version. If the phone won't take it for some reason, then I think I'll defect to the dark side and try Evil Eris or one of the Froyo builds. I could really use the Bluetooth dialing that Froyo promises...