Looking to buy a Droid Eris.

boyer61

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying a Eris over Craigslist for $125. I'm a member at precentral.com and i own both a Pre and Pixi, but with HP royally screwing webOS users over on February 9th, i'm jumping ship.

I am homebrewing my Pre, so rooting the Droid will be problem. Is there an over clock for the droid? My pre is running at 1GHz.

What should I look for BEFORE I buy it? I know i'll make sure it can be activated. I'm talking about known issues that can be wrong with the phone.

My Pre has a Touchstone to charge it, do they make something like that? such as the powermat or something. Thanks for any replies.

Reactions: JennRN

woodbtreasures

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Having owned an Eris since December of '09, and having jumped ship from my crappy Pre (#6) I feel qualified to answer this.

If you want to go the rooting route on the Eris it's very easy (one touch application method). But the processor is slow. I'm running a rooted Eris with KaosFroyo v38 and the rom overclocks the Eris to 768 which makes it usable. Stock with Sense on it, it moves like molases.

Overall the Eris is not a horrible phone. But specs wise it just cannot compare with anything that has come out in the last 6 months, maybe longer. For $125 it's not bad, but if I were you I'd just buy something new...or go for an OG Droid.

My .02 YMMV

Reactions: JennRN

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What should I look for BEFORE I buy it? I know i'll make sure it can be activated. I'm talking about known issues that can be wrong with the phone.

Probably the number one issue with the Eris is a trackball that starts scrolling to the left constantly. If you look at the phone running and you see the home screens start rolling to the left on its own, the trackball is bad.

The trackball mechanism is slightly problematic, as the trackball elements are mounted just above the USB connector. If that USB connector comes loose - say, the cable connector was rocked up enough to hit the trackball above - it can cause these problems. Be gentle with it.

My Pre has a Touchstone to charge it, do they make something like that? such as the powermat or something. Thanks for any replies.

I own a Powermat myself, but there was never a sleeve for the Eris that I ever saw. Of course the Powermat comes with a mini-USB charging puck which will charge the Eris, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Seidio once sold two extended batteries for the Eris - a 1750 maH and 3500 maH battery (the latter comes with a new, fat phone back - the 1750 fits into the same space as the stock 1350 battery.) If they still sell them - I think that they may be on Amazon - I'd get one.

Root it for sure. The stock Eris build is pretty laggy, especially as the phone log and text message database build.

boyer61

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I bought an OG Droid off ebay for $142. Came the the box, charger and a 16 GB card. Pretty decent deal i think.

After i told they guy that, he told me he would sell the Eris for $80 bucks. I was VERY tempted to buy it and pay around with it, but i didn't. I like a physical keyboard as well, the Eris doesn't have that.

The only thing that was wrong with the OG Droid, was a small scratch on the battery door. Which i already ordered another one off amazon for abound 8 dollars. It should be here around the same time as the phone. I also went ahead and bought a new battery and a few screen protectors.

Busbar

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the OG Droid, but as a long-time user of a rooted Eris, I think it's such a laggy POS with interminable web page downloads, that I can only scoff at the term "smart phone". So if you're still thinking of an Eris... I'll sell you mine and go back to a Samsung t401, lol.

boyer61

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Man. Wtf took me so long to move to android? I'm glad I bought this phone instead of the Eris.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

zoomy942

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking to buy an eris too. i live too far away from any craiglist areas and don't have 50 posts yet (i'm always lurking) so I cant post in our marketplace.

Anyone have one they dont want?

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Dont buy it. I hate my Eris, its really laggy. sometimes when i try to make a call its takes the phone over two minutes to recognize that im trying to make a call.

gruss

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't call it lightning, but it is very usable! That dialer lag is gone and I finally want to throw it against the wall less than the blackberry ;)

sent from my phone

adellc3

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about buying a Droid Eris just to play around with. There was a guy on Craigslist who had his for $75.
I have a Samsung Fascinate right now and I love this phone. I just wanted to have a little back-up phone, just in case something happens to my Fascinate. I wouldn't have to get a new phone.
I've been trying to find a cheap back-up. I'm always bricking my samsung fascinate and I never have a phone to switch over to while I'm fixing it and I feel like a fish out of water.
So I may end up buying that $75 one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87