Samsung cash, Promotions, Pre-Order gotcha

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe some of you already know but I found out just today that Samsung is playing a use-it or loose-it game with the Samsung cash, like the $250 promotion with pre orders. I didn't use it at checkout because I really wanted smart tags and none of the offers were for them. I also lucked out cause I put the 45w charger in my car at checkout once and didn't pull the trigger, then when I came back it wasn't there so I decided to wait, anyway I ended up waiting.

When I got my email promo code for the $250 I went to buy the smart tags I wanted. 3 for $89, and I figured I'd spend the rest on something in the future. So I thought of something and kept trying and trying to find that remaining money. Surely there's something left, after all I only spent, $89 of $250. Imagine my surprise when customer service, and I quote, "any remaining balance is forfeit", what? This reminded me of the post not that long ago about, what happens if I want my trade in back. Turns out I'm that case you get a Samsung gift card for three trade in amount. I wonder if that's the same as this gift card offer? Use it or loose it. Hopefully not.

So yeah, I was advised to reject the delivery, when they had their merchandise back I would get my credit back and from there I could make one inclusive purchase that used all of the rebate/gift card/store credit.

So glad I called since the package is due today, by 20:00, as FedEx likes to say.

I just couldn't get over the, use it or loose it, kinda doesn't feel like they did enough to warn people this was how it worked.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It's Samsung Vid.. what did you expect lol. I'm glad they didn't bamboozle you like they probably have millions of customers around the world... and thanks for giving us the heads up ;)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's been this way for years, it's in the fine print nobody wants to read. The promo codes are so limited on what you can use them for. I've found you can't use it on buying a phone, or a TV so far. I have no idea what I'm going to use it for, I don't need more charger heads, cables, cases.

Good luck, let us know if refusing the package gets your promo $250 back works. I'm skeptical myself. I fear you're about to take a journey on the Samsung customer service highway of nightmare's. I googled and it's a vague area and not well answered as you will see from link, 2 say you won't get the credit back, and one says Samsung said the same as you're saying. Samsung replied a couple times but found it best not to answer the question, dodging it IMO. One even said they got nothing, not even a replacement. I hope you get it back, but very skeptical that you will get the full $250 as remaining balance was forfeited during the order.

Just research more and hopefully there is some insight from members here, I would hate for you to lose what you did select also.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...tems-purchased-with-promo-credit/td-p/1728064

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I thought when you tried to use the promo money that it tells you at checkout you have to use it all or you lose it?

I could be wrong. It's been awhile since I've done the Samsung promo thing.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I had to argue with them to issue my credit (on my order page, credit was supposed to be in 14 days after delivery but they were arguing 30 days). When I finally got my credit, everything I wanted to order was no longer in stock. Fortunately I did know that I needed to use it all in one fell swoop but ended up having to order some things I didn't really want or need because they were out of stock for so much. In addition, I discovered that there were phone accessories that you couldn't use the credit towards (ie. USB type-c flash drive). Also be aware, you have only 90 days to use the credit.
f5b2e580f4514bf3cf5a54a33642f830.jpg

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Over here in the UK, we just don't get promo credit. We get a free set of headphones, that's it. Don't want the headphones? Prefer something else? tough headphones or nothing.

thacounty

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me as well. I ordered the watch when it was $129.99 through Samsung Pay quickly and didn't notice that it was one time use. I called and was told to wait 24-48 hours, but I didn't like the email response, so I called back. The next rep was much better and sent me a promo code for the remaining 120 within a few hours. Likely won't work for everyone but I would call back. I went ahead and used it on some Galaxy Buds Pro since they're down to 107 with trade in of any wired headset, and the screen protector for the S22 Ultra.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Geez. That's such a grimey way of doing business. I don't care if that's how it's always been, it shouldn't be like that ever.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't like it either, but they don't have to do it at all either.

Right, that's the thing though, without the incentive, who's going to adopt the phones day one? Did anyone on this forum do it straight up out of pocket without the need for the incentive? I mean, anyone who traded in last year's model really didn't need to, but they did because of the incentive. Now if you're going to incentivize, but hide some grimey fine print that limits or sets it up so you unknowingly lose some of the value of your trade-in, that only benefits Samsung. They WANT you to not get your complete $250 credit. Either that or spend more to get something more expensive, because if you don't use $250, then you'll lose the change. The psychology being that you don't want to lose the credit you got so you'll spend more just to make sure you use it all. It's dirty.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Right, that's the thing though, without the incentive, who's going to adopt the phones day one? Did anyone on this forum do it straight up out of pocket without the need for the incentive? I mean, anyone who traded in last year's model really didn't need to, but they did because of the incentive. Now if you're going to incentivize, but hide some grimey fine print that limits or sets it up so you unknowingly lose some of the value of your trade-in, that only benefits Samsung. They WANT you to not get your complete $250 credit. Either that or spend more to get something more expensive, because if you don't use $250, then you'll lose the change. The psychology being that you don't want to lose the credit you got so you'll spend more just to make sure you use it all. It's dirty.
As someone said, they tell you during checkout also. On the S22, people that waited got a better deal. They got $200 off the price of the phone. Like I said earlier, you have to read the fine print, which most don't, yet we all know it's there. All special offers have fine print, not just Samsung

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if Samsung's other promotions of free 3 months of YouTube Premium & Spotify & 6 months of Sirrius have a time limit when you can use them before they expire? I plan to use them one at a time to see which I really like. I really don't need to try three additional music services all at the same time but I don't want to lose the benefit either.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I clearly recall seeing language about having to use the full $250 at one time, and I didn't read the small print. I don't recall at what point in the process of pre-ordering the phone I saw it, but agree with others who said they saw it at checkout.

Ultimately, I didn't fully checkout at the Sasmung site and upgraded through my carrier, but I saw the disclaimer about using the $250 Samsung credit all at once for sure.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
As someone said, they tell you during checkout also. On the S22, people that waited got a better deal. They got $200 off the price of the phone. Like I said earlier, you have to read the fine print, which most don't, yet we all know it's there. All special offers have fine print, not just Samsung

Pre-orders also got free storage upgrades. I don't know if the Sasmung site had more generous trade-in creedit during pre-order, but I got a $1,000 trade in credit for my S20 FE via Verizon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001