Are you still impressed with the 3d or is it time for another device

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
As far as screen tech goes... Each has it's upside and downside, right now none of 'em are perfect. Personally I'd take a very high quality IPS display over even SAMOLED+, but those are becoming rarer (probably due to cost). SAMOLED+ has great blacks, for sure, nothing can touch it's black level since there's nothing lit up behind black pixels (they're literally turned off), and it's got decent visibility in sunlight... Color accuracy is less than stellar tho.

Over-saturating colors isn't a good thing, it's the same parlor trick that TV manufacturers pull off on store displays to make one TV stand out from the other... But once you take that sucker home you'd wanna calibrate it properly unless you enjoy seeing grass glow neon green and whatnot. I'm not saying regular LCDs overshadow SAMOLED+ when it comes to color accuracy tho, because the truth is it varies wildly from phone to phone and unfortunately we don't really have any calibration options, but SAMOLED+ are typically displaying inaccurate colors (vivid isn't vivid if colors are actually richer than they truly are).

Personally I'd give a higher resolution and deeper blacks the same weigh... You can have more screen elements at once w/a higher res (makes changing the number of default icons on a launcher more comfortable imo), it makes text less jaggy (dpi) and clearer, etc. I'd take wider viewing angles over either a higher res or deeper blacks, but that's because I tend to read a lot w/my phone set down on the table... Other people could probably care less about viewing angles. Frankly that's the only scenario where I've found I care about viewing angles, but it's a rather frequent one for me.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the EVO 3D, I was pretty jazzed about it, some of the reviews gave me some concern (the two that mentioned call quality in particular)... Most of the reviews weren't worth a damn tho. It was very clear that a lot of sites rushed an article out the door for page hits and did very little actual testing. I read half a dozen reviews and saw polar opposite opinions across them on the subject of signal strength, viewing angles, and several other things. To say nothing of battery life or camera quality,

I think the chick doing the Engadget review was actually way too critical of the camera (given that she's a camera nut and used to praise Nokia's), but w/o some decent A vs B comparisons it's hard to say for real. She must've definitely blown the battery test tho, if she left 4G on all day as she walked around w/the thing I can imagine it'd take a huge hit (she said "all radios on")... With similar hardware the Sensation is actually one of the thriftier phones out there, and LaptopMag got even better battery life out of the EVO 3D apparently (better than the Charge or even Sensation). I'm guessing that Wimax is still pretty much a battery hog, I'm hoping Anandtech reviews the phone soon and does some proper testing.., All these news blogs wouldn't know what a real review looks like if it bit them in the ass. Whatever happened to empirical testing and direct comparisons under identical circumstances? What's with all this anecdotal evidence of performance and battery life? Seriously?

I hadn't placed a pre-order yet and I'll probably wait 'till next week... If Anand can't give us an ETA for a review by then I might just hold off. I know I can return it if I'm not pleased but I'm sure that goes on your record within the Sprint account, I'd rather avoid doing that if possible. I'm keeping an eye on the Photon, I'll definitely upgrade to one of those two before the summer's gone (currently on an EVO 4G). I'd actually use the world phone capabilities occasionally so it has some draw for me... I'm actually more concerned about being able to get a decent amount of money for selling my EVO 4G than anything else, if I wait too long prices (even on Ebay) will plummet, it's already waffling at $200-250 (too many new EVO's being sold at $300-350) and Sprint's trade-in value (currently $150) will surely drop soon.

The SGS2 thin profile is appealing after having an EVO 4G for a year but I still don't trust Samsung to deliver timely updates. Where's GB for the US Galaxy S variants? I know it's out in Europe, but there's clearly a validation issue between Samsung and US carriers that's delaying updates. Moto has already pushed GB out even to some of it's mid-range devices (Droid Pro?), as has HTC (EVO 4G, Shift, etc.). Sure you can say AOSP / CM is the way to go, but some things never work quite as well on an Android community build (cameras), or take a long time to get working (4G, HDMI, etc.).

Reactions: 1Brite1

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Eh, that crash doesnt look too good and the benchmarks...wow. My Nexus S gets benchmarks right around 2k. Everyone is complaining the 3D isnt that great and makes your head hurt haha. So 3D aside, isnt this just a slower Galaxy S2 with an inferior display? I know the 3D is higher resolution but qHD isnt quite S-AMOLED. I guess the only real reason to buy this would be you need a phone NOW or you love Sense's eye candy.

Just in case you missed it!

FWIW: Don't trust any benchmarks you see any time soon. Only recognizing one core ATM. (And we quit using Quadrant a long time ago anyway.)

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
This is tough, if I had an EVO or another proper smartphone I would for sure pass on the 3D, I'm also coming from a Pre and desperately want to get rid of it. The 3D is getting horrible reviews, and by the 3D I mean the actual 3D display/feature. I'll probably never use it. the question is should I buy a phone with a feature so poorly executed that i'll never use it?, a feature that compromises it's core camera function? Decisions decisions..

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i'm waiting for a 4.5-5.0"+ display. preferably an HTC Superphone from Sprint with Ice Cream Sammmmich and no physical buttons and not much bezel to keep the device relatively small despite the big display.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
This is tough, if I had an EVO or another proper smartphone I would for sure pass on the 3D, I'm also coming from a Pre and desperately want to get rid of it. The 3D is getting horrible reviews, and by the 3D I mean the actual 3D display/feature. I'll probably never use it. the question is should I buy a phone with a feature so poorly executed that i'll never use it?, a feature that compromises it's core camera function? Decisions decisions..

IMO you need to get out of that Pre and get into the game. get the EVO!

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I am not as critical over the reviews due to knowing that any review of anything "3D" will have its share of haters because it is still finding its way to be a must have technology. As far as phone cameras, I don't think we can see a phone with a DSLR type quality without paying a lot and adding way more bulk to house the optics. I see call quality vary from location to location no matter the carrier or phone. I literally had them all. I do agree that it wouldn't have hurt to add more internal storage though. However no matter how much phones improve, it will always be a personal preference thing and no one phone will cater to all. I just take reviews for what they are...one person's opinion rather good or bad. The only opinion that will matter in the end is yours/mine. I have 30 days to put it through the wringer and see if it is a keeper, so bring it on.

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I'm on the same boat as you as far as the Pre, to me the 3D was never a deal breaker, the specs on the phone are. I think the 3D feature will be cool to use every once in a while, but is not a feature I'll use all the time.

and yes! I'll be getting rid off my (very low voice) Pre on Friday! Evo 3D bring it!

can't say it too loud my Pre might start acting up! LOL :D :p

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the same boat as you as far as the Pre, to me the 3D was never a deal breaker, the specs on the phone are. I think the 3D feature will be cool to use every once in a while, but is not a feature I'll use all the time.

and yes! I'll be getting rid off my (very low voice) Pre on Friday! Evo 3D bring it!

can't say it too loud my Pre might start acting up! LOL :D :p

Yea, I feel like if I don't get the evo, my USB crack will finally kill my screen. After seeing some detailed photos of the 3D (Engadget), it's not a particulary sleek device either, I think the sensation looks muuuch better.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
Yea, I feel like if I don't get the evo, my USB crack will finally kill my screen. After seeing some detailed photos of the 3D (Engadget), it's not a particulary sleek device either, I think the sensation looks muuuch better.

you could tell that from all the initial renderings. when the sensation was announced, i was saddened the evo 3d was not like that. the curved edges really makes a difference in how the phone feels. it's a big reason why I nearly got a nexus s

LuckyLucky

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Between the Evo 3D and the Sensation, I really think the Evo 3D got the short end of the stick (aesthetically)...but I guess they had to model it after the original Evo since it is its successor.

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess since there were a lot of people who loved the EVO, it was a no brainer to keep the look for the most part. I'm not mad at all.

Jace985

May 27, 2011
Visit site
The 3D is just an added bonus to me something to mess around with when I'm bored all the reviews have only really talked bad about the 3D. This phone will be awesome and I am definitely getting. Now if it sucks monkey D**k then within the first 2 weeks of use i'll know and return it simple as that. But from everything I have seen so far I am confident that will not be the case.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site

Do you need a phone NOW? Both the S2 and Photon are coming this summer.

ATC Buckeye

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm exactly the same way right now. I did the preorder thru wirefly but I'm still on the fence. I do like the sense 3.0 stuff but that 3D foolishness is a turn-off :) Maybe I'll just hold off for that Photon and the GSII and see what's the winner.

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Do you need a phone NOW? Both the S2 and Photon are coming this summer.

I have to call Sprint, I'm using my override to buy my next phone. I'm not sure how long I have it for, some rumors were that it expired at the end of the month. I just listened to the AC Podcast and wow..not good things to say about the exposed camera lens. Not gonna lie, I'm having doubts, If I can keep my upgrade I'll probably wait for the GS2..I mean Phil said the 3D gave him a headache..and everyone is saying this. I won't own something that works so poorly. The argument that you don't have to use it is fine..but there's that horrid 2D/3D toggle switch you'll always have to look at...

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think what will kill sales of the 3d is the 3d aspect sadly. Thats what HTC and Sprint advertises heavily and its the 1st thing that most customers will really think of when considering the 3d and will be oblivious to dual core, sense, etc. On the other hand, those who will consider the S2 will do it for the Amoled + screen and will not be disappointed. Everyone brings up good points, but day by day I'm leaning more towards the S2.