Evo 3D: a very rocky start, but I love it now.

acf3passion

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been anticipating this phone for quite sometime. The worst of it all was waiting an extra month when everyone speculated June 4th release. My terribly outdated Blackberry Tour made me rip my hair out just waiting for this damn phone.

Bear in mind, I have ZERO bias toward any platform. I was rather surprised to see people defending their stupid phones tooth and nail online. I didn't 'suffer' from any of this as I've been totally out of the modern phone scene.

What's good about this? I rate Evo 3D just the way I see it.

So I got my Evo 3D in mail from Wirefly. I opened it, and within hours I was weathering a very rocky start:

1. Immediately I noticed the missing paint pixel chip between Back & Search key, what the hell man.

2. The back cover is terribly designed. The wrap at the camera buttons feel like they're gonna break every time. Who the hell designed this?

3. Crap stopped working randomly- no FB notification, 3D always get turned off permanently, display gets stuck at brightest, etc. The only remedy? The battery pull. Yup, the damn back cover, here we go again. I was SUPER annoyed by having to pull battery for 5th time in two days. I was about to give up.

4. 3D is not only a gimmick, it's not impressive either. It's same tech as Nintendo 3DS. I know what 3DS looks like- the effect is very strong & deep, really immersing you. Evo's 3D is quite flat...

5. Camera is subpar. This is one of my biggest disappointment as I really wanted a good cam so I didn't have to carry my compact cam as often.

Yup... things looked pretty grim. There is no doubt I was not blown away or immediately won over. This phone is not a perfect phone, far far from it. But I started to get to know it more and more..... and I really grew to love the phone:

1. Quarter-HD display is very very sexy. Texts and pictures are CRISP as hell. Some FB pics, I could not believe how good the looked, I had to compare to my desktop monitor. I am GLAD it's not SAMOLED+. Why? Because their colors are inaccurate & over-saturated. You see red bruising on faces because it artificially jacks up the skin tone too much. The display plain ROCKS0 both resolution and quality.

2. Sense 3.0 is not just functional, it's absolutely gorgeous. Widgets are sexy as hell with great polish in functionality + looks. I have almost zero incentive to get this rooted (aside from tethering).

3. Form factor and build quality are outstanding. When my bro first got Evo 3G, I thought it was giant and ugly as hell. E3D is has slimmer sleeker design thanks to 16:9 display. When I opened the box, I didn't know how slim & stylish it looked in person. I know the battery cover sucks, but when it's on, it's built VERY tight and solid... like a tank. I love the feel of the phone.

4. Coming from BB, Android apps in its full glory are pure orgasm. Voice recognition feels super high-tech, I use it quite often when I don't want to type.

5. The phone is FAST. There are some hiccups, but it handles so many apps and multiple browser tabs beautifully.

This phone is a keeper for sure. Most of the flaws are overlooked and I still wish it had a better camera. But I love this phone.

Last edited:

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
3. Form factor and build quality are outstanding. When my bro first got Evo 4G, I thought it was giant and ugly as hell. E3D is has slimmer sleeker design thanks to 16:9 display. When I opened the box, I didn't know how slim & stylish it looked in person. I know the battery cover sucks, but when it's on, it's built VERY tight and solid... like a tank. I love the feel of the phone.

EVO 4G ^ FTFY

I am glad you grew to love the phone as many of us do. Welcome to Android!

EDIT: Spelling

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I fully agree on the form factor. I always thought the 4G was fat and ugly but the 3d is great. I was so concerned about getting a 4.3 phone but this alleviated all my concerns