apps to dl, camera placement

S.

Banned
Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I just got the evo 3d from having a palm pre for two years. So I was wondering if you guys could tell me good apps to download >_>

Also did anyone else notice how you have to hold the phone awkwardly or else your pointer finger rests on top of the camera? am I just being weird or did other people notice that too?

this is my first android phone, but I know a decent bit about android. (Phone envy led to intense research about the next phone I wanted.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Efstratios

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Quick Questions

Best thing to do for apps is to go to the Market app on your phone or through your computer, and browse the most popular free apps for ones that interest you. It really depends on what your needs and interests are. As for touching the camera on the back, I try to curve my index finger over it, but touching it is inevitable, so just be prepared to wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth or your shirt before using the camera.

Reactions: S.

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Quick Questions

Basics:
-Handcent (Replacement SMS app, at first I thought the normal SMS is fine why replace it, but it's one of those things that once you get use to the luxury of having a nice one it's impossible to go back)
-Dolphin HD (Replacement Internet browser, allows tabs and gesture commands and similar niceties)
-Google Music (Even if you're not part of the beta, this is still just a better music player)
-Dropbox (Share files from one device/computer to another via online storage space, very handy)
-Angry Birds/Words with Friends (The two best time-killers known to man)
-ES File Explorer (Standard file browser, very convenient)
-Whiteboard (A good note-taking widget, free or the pro version is 99 cents and amazing)
-Barcode Scanner (What the name would suggest)

More advanced/personalized (Ones I like but others may not want)
-Tasker (AMAZING automation program, just google it to see how powerful it is. Basically you can program your phone to do any action based on any conditions (IE play music when headphones are plugged in, etc))
-ADW Launcher (A launcher since IMO sense sucks bigtime. My favorite one because I don't like the dock, but Launcher Pro is another alternative if you like a nice dock)
-TeamViewer (Free app for remotely controlling your PC, very very cool)
-Widget Locker (A lockscreen app that lets you customize it, putting widgets on your lockscreen or adding custom sliderbars)
-TeslaLED (Great flashlight App)
-Photoshop Express (Mobile photo-altering app)

And here's a post ripped straight from another forum and another user with some other good ones lol:

A few out-of-the-ordinary ones that I like:

Good Morning (the one by Flywheel with a yellow-and-blue flower-looking thing as the icon symbol)--Wakes me up in the morning with music, alarm (both pretty normal) but then by reading my calendar entries for the day to me, telling me the weather forecast, and reading any message I typed in.

WakeVoice--Similar to Good Morning, but slightly different. The voice that wakes you makes lame little jokes that change periodically, plus it will read the news. I alternate between the two programs for my alarm on different days.

Astro File Manager--Not that out of the ordinary, but great app!

Galaxy Wire and PhysOrg.com News--Space and science news for geeks.

Mvideo Player--Better video player than the stock one on my EVO 4G, I haven't really compared it to the one on the 3D yet.

FoxyRing--I've never used the program, but I really like the widget that comes with it. Lets you quickly silence your phone for a period up to five hours, but the sound will come back on automatically at the end of that time, even if you forget to intervene.

GasBuddy

EONW (Effects of Nuclear Weapons)--For the morbidly curious creep in all of us.

Pulse or MyTaptu--News feed organizers

RadarNow--Fast, simple non-fancy radar. Essential for those who live in Tornado Alley.

QuintessArt--If you don't care for the art yourself, use it to try to impress cultured women!

Tricorder by Moonblink--Incredibly cool and geeky app, especially if you are a fan of Star Trek TOS. Even if you are too young for Kirk and Spock, this thing uses the sensors in your phone to do some really cool things that actually work!

Wifi Analyzer by Kevin Yuan

I've actually used Sprint Radio a few times as a change from Pandora. I realize I may be the only person on the planet who did this. Occasionally I find Sprint TV has free peeks at channels that are actually worth a darn, and I'll watch 'em if I'm traveling and bored.

I actually enjoy some live wallpapers on a short-term basis till I get tired of 'em for the moment. The ones by Kittehface tend to be good, especially Aquarium Live and Friendly Bugs.

Reactions: S. and iEd

S.

Banned
Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow someone changed the thread title. I was trying to find this thread on my phone and I couldn't find it O_O

Thanks for the tips.