Why is the GS3 so appealing to you over the EvoLTE?

Magman007

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I keep reading in the forums that people are considering dumping their pre-order for the GS3, and I keep wondering why any of you would consider doing so.

The Gs3 spec wise is about the same as the Evo LTE with a crappier screen. Its still a dual core, 1gb device in US trim. Some reviewers have mentioned it has typical samsung quality, and really is not that big of a step when compared to the GS2.

So why are you all considering dumping your pre order on the Evo, for the GS3 that is going to take even longer to come out, and really does not offer an advantage over the Evo, and has what we can only assume to be a crappier build quality?

Maybe I just like my phone to be metal, but I debated on waiting for the GS3 and decided to go EVO, especially once the reviews came out. The GS3 has a few nifty features, but most of those are dependent on all of your friends having the gs3 as well. The eye sensing technology is cool though.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The only way I get the SIII over the EVO is if:

1) It has 2gb of ram. The Japan CDMA version will have 2gb ram so I am wondering if the US version will also.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I keep reading in the forums that people are considering dumping their pre-order for the GS3, and I keep wondering why any of you would consider doing so.

The Gs3 spec wise is about the same as the Evo LTE with a crappier screen. Its still a dual core, 1gb device in US trim. Some reviewers have mentioned it has typical samsung quality, and really is not that big of a step when compared to the GS2.

So why are you all considering dumping your pre order on the Evo, for the GS3 that is going to take even longer to come out, and really does not offer an advantage over the Evo, and has what we can only assume to be a crappier build quality?

Maybe I just like my phone to be metal, but I debated on waiting for the GS3 and decided to go EVO, especially once the reviews came out. The GS3 has a few nifty features, but most of those are dependent on all of your friends having the gs3 as well. The eye sensing technology is cool though.

You forgot to mention Sammies craptastic radios. :p

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
No way would I ever pick the GS3 over the EVO. I'm sticking to my plans of getting this beast. The GS3 was a letdown IMO. I would pick the Galaxy Nexus over the GS3.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to say that a good percent of the people interested in the SGSIII are those who have had previous Samsung devices like the original Galaxy S or SGSII.

I would not go even near saying its "crappier build quality". I am abusive to my phones and my Epic 4g and my NS4G (both Sammy) have held up great. 5 kids fighting over it has produced batteries coming out from being dropped numerous times, sdcard flew out once even and my screens are excellent, no cracks, everything works and I've rarely ever used a case either. Probably Sammy's biggest flaw is its radio quality...

Displays... Until we saw the release of the LCD 2 display on the HTC One, most thought the AMOLED displays were the best thing since sliced bread. I still think they are excellent even with pentile present.

Basically it all comes down to personal preference. Both devices are going to do well and give each other good competition and will serve their customers as expected.

JDGAFFLIN

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
"Why is the GS3 so appealing to you over the EvoLTE?"

It might actually make it into my hands, as apposed to be locked up in a Customs Warehouse surronded by dogs sniffing around for coffee grounds.

BPHusker

May 17, 2010
Visit site

It's not. I almost got a Galaxy S, but HATED TouchWiz. Sense was a lot better to me.

1BadHEMI

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

It might actually make it into my hands, as apposed to be locked up in a Customs Warehouse surronded by dogs sniffing around for coffee grounds.

because it won't be held up at customs

Don't say never... It hasn't made it to shore yet, so who knows what will take place, or what patent infringements crApple has against Samsung that are waiting in wings. This is the US government we are talking about!

With that said, and being a previous owner of the original EVO 4G, a small stint with the EVO 3D, and my current Epic Touch 4G, I am looking forward to going back to Sense! Since day 1, I have never used TouchWiz, and have used GoLauncher. I didn't like what I saw in the SIII presentation, and the new features are really, eh! Features I would probably never use. Since both the EVO and the SIII are gong to be the same hardware wise minus storage/screen, I'll go for the better IPS screen, and add my own SDHC card. The whole "nature" thing Samsung is trying to shoot for makes me laugh! Now if they would have designed the quad Exynos for more than 1 markets LTE frequency (another US blonder, why we always have to design something different than the rest of the world), and would have brought it here, I would think differently. The Mali MP400 is a beast as a graphics processor.

Magman007

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree, if the Exynos quad core was in the sg3 I would have waited for it as well. I guess I'm more or less trying to gauge why customers are suggesting dumping their preorder for the gs3 or "waiting it out" what is there to wait out? Why would you wait out other than brand loyalty/asthetics? We do not have the full US spec sheet (rumors are that tmobile might get the quad core version) but from what we can deduce there is nothing that is a game changer being imported on this phone.

That being said, I do wish the evo had a quad core.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Why is the current generation of quad core so important to smart phones? Laptops have yet to harness the benefits and the latest dual core from qualcomm has shown to match nvidias quad core.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Magman007

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Why is the current generation of quad core so important to smart phones? Laptops have yet to harness the benefits and the latest dual core from qualcomm has shown to match nvidias quad core.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

But it really hasnt.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/0...d-core-vs-snapdragon-s4-dual-core/#more-67976

Benchmarks dont mean anything, we have heard this before, but right there you can see how much quicker the quad core handles the processes than the dual core.

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
For me I think they are Close enough that If the Evo delays until the S3 launches I will have to consider it. That doesn't mean I will be jumping ship but I do a lot of Mobile Streaming and need something a bit faster then my OG Evo I have now. Memory is also a big issue with the Og and I don't want to root (personal preference ) to fix and am tired of doing a reset to get Memory available.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Easy I don't have my EVO LTE in my hand! To make matters worse I think HTC and the consumers are screwed cause i have a feeling this baby is going to stay in customs a lot longer than we think. I posted this before I've had all EVO's since launch but if the s3 does come out in June like reported I Might give it a shot. I guess only time will tell.
Shout out to the patent office that made all this a reality...

kidstechno

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I currently have an Epic 4G but have also owned an HTC Hero before that. My views:
Samsung: Epic 4G had a plague of problems: GPS lock, key lag on physical keybaord, horrible turnaround time for upgrades, radio could be better. However, the dev community was fantastic and I now run ICS AOKP solid with no problems.

HTC: The Hero was my first android phone but I think the build quality of the Hero was terrible. Dust got into the device and under my screen. The Hero was clunky and slow, and the end call button peeled off only after a year.

I haven't owned a current gen HTC phone, but it seems like they've picked their game up. However, I'm also concerned with Samsung. With all the extra features they've put into the GS3, I'm pretty terrified of the upgrade turnaround time when Jelly Bean is released (unless Google implements those features - Face Lock/Recognition, S Voice, etc, which I doubt). The screen doesn't concern me that much, and the build quality. LTE is also a non-issue since I live in an area that probably will never get 4G/LTE, but HD Voice would certainly help. I'm more interested to see how the camera/software compare.

Everything aside, in all honesty if my Sprint store had an Evo 4G LTE in stock I would have most likely picked it up today. I suck at waiting.

tjsongman

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Sticking with my pre-ordered Evo 4G LTE (returning to HTC after owning the GSII currently). The things that made me even consider the GSIII, were the removable battery and the rumor that it would support a 64GB microSD card. Just to actually answer your question. ;-)

tromba

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
While I haven't made a decision yet, the 2 GB of RAM might be a BIG DEAL. On my original EVO with it's (i think) 512 meg of RAM I have been out of space for about a year. Don't do most app updates -- no room. Everything that can be moved to the SD card IS moved (got an app for that).

So I honestly don't know if the 1 GB on the new EVO will solve that problem permanently or just temporarily. Maybe 2 GB on the S3 is that important.

No question that has been the biggest problem I've faced on my original EVO