Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By be the droid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question What path to use to save files to SD card, not internal storage?

You know how some apps ask you to manually enter the download path in their settings to store files? (ie /music/)

This was no problem before...but now with ICS, 4.0 with the separate phone and card drives (using Windows 7), I've lost the ability to save to SD by entering a path to the SD card. Any path I enter now only goes only to the internal storage ("phone").

Do you know what path to use to save files the SD card and not internal storage?
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts

Default Re: What path to use to save files to SD card, not internal stora

The path to the second data partition on internal storage is /mnt/sdcard
    The path to the actual SD card is /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd

Yes, it is pretty stupid, but that is the way ICS is- same thing on my Xoom.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah, I gathered that path from ES File Explorer, /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd.

Unfortunately, when I enter that path in the settings in the app, it just creates a folder "mnt" in the root of internal memory, with the subdirectory "sdcard", and the subdirectory "ext_sd".

Ugh...any other ideas?

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by be the droid View Post
    Yeah, I gathered that path from ES File Explorer, /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd.

Unfortunately, when I enter that path in the settings in the app, it just creates a folder "mnt" in the root of internal memory, with the subdirectory "sdcard", and the subdirectory "ext_sd".

Ugh...any other ideas?
    Well, it couldn't be creating a "mnt" directory in "/", since there already is one. It sounds like your are saying it is creating a path called "/mnt/mnt/sdcard/ext_sd"? That is freaky.

It could be that the app is hardcoded to start looking in "/mnt" directory. If that is the case, try a path of "sdcard/ext_sd" instead.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Well, it couldn't be creating a "mnt" directory in "/", since there already is one. It sounds like your are saying it is creating a path called "/mnt/mnt/sdcard/ext_sd"? That is freaky.

It could be that the app is hardcoded to start looking in "/mnt" directory. If that is the case, try a path of "sdcard/ext_sd" instead.
    Actually, I think the app adds whater path I put in it to the /sdcard/ path.

So it ends up creating /sdcard/mnt/sdcard/ext_sd

Also, I noticed when using ES File Explorer, there's two unique paths that lead to the SD Card
    1. /sdcard/ext_sd/
    2. /sdcard2/

Maybe why this is, is obvious to someone more knowledgeable...

Wait! I think by typing all that, I've answered my own question. I'm going to try entering the path /ext_sd/music and see how that works...

That's it! It's working now...whew! I can check that off my todo list of "stuff that used to work with OG EVO".
    Thanked by:
    crxssi 
    crxssi likes this.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by be the droid View Post
    Also, I noticed when using ES File Explorer, there's two unique paths that lead to the SD Card
    1. /sdcard/ext_sd/
    2. /sdcard2/
    Neat! I never even noticed that before! They must be symbolically linking things around to make it seem less insane. I just confirmed, it looks like

/sdcard = /mnt/sdcard (which is not an SD card)
    /sdcard2 = /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd (which is the SD card)

Doesn't do that on my Xoom, where:

/sdcard = /mnt/sdcard (which is not an SD card)
    there is no /sdcard2
    <nothing> = /mnt/external1 (which is the SD card)

Nothing like consistency!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Nothing like consistency!
    Right? LOL

That would be too easy for the Android user personality type.

This whole thing threw me for a loop too. Titanium Backup and my TWRP nandroid backups are backed up to the SDcard that is not really and SDcard but internal storage in disguise. I started to freak out a little bit when my real SD card didn't have my backups when I needed them.