Home button not defaulting to home screen.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I am having a problem where when I click my home button out will give me like List where I have the choice of like htc sense (supposed to be the default always), launcher, and tw launcher. I can check the box to save the same action for next time but it will only save it for that one app. Is there any option or any thing that I can make it the default for every app?

I am not running stock. I have baked snack 9.7 with netarchy kernal.

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I am having a problem where when I click my home button out will give me like List where I have the choice of like htc sense (supposed to be the default always), launcher, and tw launcher. I can check the box to save the same action for next time but it will only save it for that one app. Is there any option or any thing that I can make it the default for every app?

I am not running stock. I have baked snack 9.7 with netarchy kernal.

You can only have one launcher in use at a time. If you want to make another the default Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > (go to your current launcher) Clear defaults

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
You can only have one launcher in use at a time. If you want to make another the default Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > (go to your current launcher) Clear defaults

Well I will only ever wasn't to use the sense launcher. If I do that will it still ask me every time I wasn't to exit a program?

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site

I meant to say want not wasn't.

The point I'm trying to make is I will never want to use any other launcher other than sense. Its getting really annoying that half of the time when I click my home button it ask me what launcher I would like to use.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem and can duplicate it on demand. It doesnt bother me much but whatever ...
FYI - I'm running Damaged right now. Only have launcher (Stock launcher that every android phone has) and Sense

1) From the home screen press and hold the "home" button until the multi-tasking menu pulls up
2) With the multi-tasking menu up, Press the home button again .... viola .... makes me select sense every time

Heres another example.

1) Open an app, lets use the browser as an example.
2) With the browser open, Press the home button
3) Now long press the home button to bring up multi-tasking
4) press the back button to exit multi-tasking
5) open the browser again
6) hit home button to exit browser ... viola .... makes me select sense every time

I have noticed some things while i was vetting information. Sometimes when you open multi-tasking (long press home button) you will see Sense listed in the list of running apps which shouldn't happen, the next time you hit your home button no matter where you are or what app your running, it will force you to pick a launcher.

Just to confirm, right now I'm on Damaged 3.2.3, only have vanilla launcher and Sense, not running a custom kernel (that i can remember). This only started happening to me really recently, like within the past couple of days so I'm actually starting to suspect it was an update to an app.

@ OP

Do you happen to have Tapatalk Pro?? Reason I ask is because i know that got an update a couple of days ago. I think a couple other apps did too but i don't remember which ones.

Edit - Tapatalk is not the issue, just removed, rebooted and duplicated. I did notice something weird, when I reboot and look at multi-tasking (without touching any apps) sense is the only running app. Sense should not be included. Got another idea to try.

Edit 2 - All fixed. Reflash your ROM. Don't wipe, just flash your ROM over the existing ROM (dirty install)

Hope this helps.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hmm ok this is my last crack at it then I'm outta ideas (oddly enough mine is fine still)

1. Make a NAND backup just in case this doesn't work
2. Go to settings > apps > manage apps
3. Find Sense and select it
4. Clear all the data

This is gonna be a pain in the @$$ if I recall cause I think you need to set your home screens back up. Been a while since I had to do it.

If it doesn't work flash the NAND from step 1 and all you lost was a few minutes of time.

Hope this helps.

Edit - can you follow my steps to duplicate the issue and see if you get the same results. Just want to ensure we had the same problem because if so, theoretically the same fix woulda worked.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
K. Thanks for all the help I'm running baked snack with netarchys (or whatever his name is) kernal. I'll try some of these suggestions.

Last edited:

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
okay...
Below it, it will give you an option to make this your default choice.

So choose "HTC Sense" and check the "make it my default choice"...

Is that what you're asking?

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
okay...
Below it, it will give you an option to make this your default choice.

So choose "HTC Sense" and check the "make it my default choice"...

Is that what you're asking?

well thats the problem. when i check it, it will still ask me next time. the issue is not every single time so its hard to tell if these fixes are working. i am attempting to solve the problem by restoring a slightly old sense backup and settings backup that i had saved from titanium backup. hopefully thatll solve my problem.

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
well thats the problem. when i check it, it will still ask me next time. the issue is not every single time so its hard to tell if these fixes are working. i am attempting to solve the problem by restoring a slightly old sense backup and settings backup that i had saved from titanium backup. hopefully thatll solve my problem.

Are you using a task manager of any sort?

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, a task manager could be interfering with your launcher thing... Once I check the option to make it my default, it doesn't ask me again.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
No task managers here but the dirty install fixed mine which is why I wanted to see if either of these guys could dup it the way I could. The next thing I was thinking is could it be related to how aggressive I set my min free settings but because I could dup it immediately after a reboot, that rules out min free. Plus I've been using the same setup for a week now and it didn't start happening until 2 days ago meaning I was fine for about 5 days.

After I fixed mine last night, I flashed my own kernel that I play with from time to time and I'm still good so who knows. Will be interested to see what these guys come back with.

hckyplayer024

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem, I ended up deleting Launcher.apk and TWLauncher.apk from /system/app since I wasn't going to use them anyways. You can do this using Root explorer on your phone of it your comfortable with ADB you can do that as well. Just make sure you Nandroid just in case you mess up!

Disgustoid

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I tried everything with my stock 2.1 EVO and nothing worked until I tried removing the QIK update as suggested in another forum. This fixed the home button problem I was seeing.

Thank goodness for the internet and forums as I never would have guessed that was the cause of this problem.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Figures it was an update to an app. In my first post you can see I was guessing Tapatalk but I knew I got like 5 updates in 1 day for my apps. Weird that I got so many in 1 day.

Although, if qik is truly the problem, that still doesn't explain why I'm fine after dirty flashing as I'm still using the same APK that you read was casing problems. Probably a sequential issue, that would explain why I'm ok but still leave the mystery of why someone else who did the same still had the problem. If it was sequential, they would have been fixed too.

Ok who cares, I'm done ;)