Can you rename your nand backups

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if I can rename my NAND backups? Would make it a little easier when playing around with 2 different ROMS.

pageld

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah you can through rom manager anyway.

Open up Rom Manger and scroll through until you see Manage and restore backups

Next press on the backup you would like to rename.

A context menu will pop up and you click rename. Wallah!

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah you can through rom manager anyway.

Open up Rom Manger and scroll through until you see Manage and restore backups

Next press on the backup you would like to rename.

A context menu will pop up and you click rename. Wallah!

Im pretty sure thats on Premium only... but its worth the money in my opinion

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If you change the name of the nandroid back up, there's a good chance your md5 sum won't match. Your best bet is to name it as your making the back up through clocwork. Still may give you issues.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If you change the name of the nandroid back up, there's a good chance your md5 sum won't match. Your best bet is to name it as your making the back up through clocwork. Still may give you issues.

No issues if you name it with Rom manager as you're making the back up...

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I see: so don't go changing the file name once it's created, but you can choose a name to replace the default when you make said backup.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I just rename the backup using a file manager like Astro, seems to work fine for me...

Just wait till your MD5 sum gets screwed then you'll be crying about stuff...

Trust us use Rom Manager... From what i've been reading it automatically changes MD5 sum...

Its safer and its easy

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Trust us use Rom Manager... From what i've been reading it automatically changes MD5 sum...

Its safer and its easy

Yeah, I have the premium ROM manager and you can rename with out a problem... Makes life a heck of a lot easier than trying to do it manually and screwing some thing up....

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site

Its safer and its easy

So let me make sure I'm explaining myself correctly. What I'm doing is navigating to /sdcard/nandroid/HT05AHL015XX/ and after a nandroid backup a folder is placed in that directory named "BT34983-0911" or something along those lines. I'm essentially renaming that folder but not touching any of the contents inside. This can cause instability in the backup? I've restored from them countless number of times after renaming this folder. Here is a screenshot:

snap20100914_165548.png

Last edited:

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So let me make sure I'm explaining myself correctly. What I'm doing is navigating to /sdcard/nandroid/HT05AHL015XX/ and after a nandroid backup a folder is placed in that directory named "BT34983-0911" or something along those lines. I'm essentially renaming that folder but not touching any of the contents inside. This can cause instability in the backup? I've restored from them countless number of times after renaming this folder. Here is a screenshot:

snap20100914_165548.png

Yes this can potentially make the back up file unstable... Considering the file is not a "ZIP" its just a file with other elements inside

these elements as far as we know tie themselves to the file name associated to that back up in this case being the time and date

Unless back up was made with Rom Manager creating a name for said folder the MD5 Sum can be effected by any change in the file name differing...

The reason I know this is True... Its happened to me plenty of times before I Upgraded to Rom Manager Premium...

Its not worth the headache in the end to deal with these issues

Its always better safe then sorry

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I believe you about it happening to you. One question though, I use amon ra 1.8 as my recovery and don't want to change to clockwork. Do I need to use clockwork to use rom manager?

Swyped from my Evo 4G

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
And one more question, considering I've already renamed my other backups and have restored off them fine, I'm assuming those md5 sums haven't changed and I can leave them alone/continue to use them?

Swyped from my Evo 4G

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I believe you about it happening to you. One question though, I use amon ra 1.8 as my recovery and don't want to change to clockwork. Do I need to use clockwork to use rom manager?

Yeah, thats a good question.. I'm considering purchasing ROM manager but want to stick with RA recovery.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I use Clockwork I hate RA So I cant Answer this... Sorry...

I do Know RA Saves Backups to a different file then Clockwork does...

This is where my original hate for RA developed -___-

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
And one more question, considering I've already renamed my other backups and have restored off them fine, I'm assuming those md5 sums haven't changed and I can leave them alone/continue to use them?

Swyped from my Evo 4G

Should be fine but one day they my not work anymore... just be careful...