Can't get any help over at XDA and it's been almost a month -Want newest OTA update-

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I am posting here because I've been trying for almost a month over at xda to get some help with the situation I'm in. I rooted with unrevoked 3.21 a few weeks before 3.29 (fps fix) update was released. I couldn't get clockwork recovery to work with ROM manager to create a backup before rooting, so I used RA. Once it was backed up, root worked just fine. I then successfully deleted sprint bloatware via Titanium backup but afterwards realized I wasn't in 'chuck norris mode' (does that matter??) I also later realized that I did not create a backup right after root, so now I have a backup before root and none after root with the deleted bloatware. I am running baked snack 1.7 with kernel #6 and would like to install the most recent ota update. I used RA to create a backup right before I rooted. How do I restore this backup? I tried doing this: flashed RA recovery, powered down, booted up holding power and vol down, went to recovery. But do not know what to do from there. I have the nandroid backup on my sd card and also on my MacbookPro. I've tried searching forums and google for help but cannot find any. I read something about a root folder? Do I manually add a folder to my sd named root? I'd really like to get this done, I'm getting so frustrated as my phone asks me multiple times a day if I'd like to install the update. I'm so frustrated that I just want to completely restore my phone to factory default and start over, but I'm too worried that I can't do this safely since my phone is rooted. PLEASE HELP

All help is very much appreciated. I read this tons of threads but couldn't find info/directions specific enough to my situation to use and therefor risk bricking my phone so I decided it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you can flash ROM's just flash a ROM based off of the OTA. Baked Snack 1.8 is. You don't have to take the OTA to get the OTA, just use a ROM based off of the OTA.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If that's true it's still better to wait for a ROM based off of the source code (when it's released) than to unroot for the OTA and reroot after that. I haven't heard any dev directly say that the OTA is any better or worse than ROM's based off of it, but given the fact that the ROM is based off the OTA I would think that it would be the same fix. So it should be the same performance.

I had a ROM that had the hacked fix before the OTA and the ROM I'm running based on the OTA definitely feels smoother, if that makes sense.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, I am posting here because I've been trying for almost a month over at xda to get some help with the situation I'm in. I rooted with unrevoked 3.21 a few weeks before 3.29 (fps fix) update was released. I couldn't get clockwork recovery to work with ROM manager to create a backup before rooting, so I used RA. Once it was backed up, root worked just fine. I then successfully deleted sprint bloatware via Titanium backup but afterwards realized I wasn't in 'chuck norris mode' (does that matter??) I also later realized that I did not create a backup right after root, so now I have a backup before root and none after root with the deleted bloatware. I am running baked snack 1.7 with kernel #6 and would like to install the most recent ota update. I used RA to create a backup right before I rooted. How do I restore this backup? I tried doing this: flashed RA recovery, powered down, booted up holding power and vol down, went to recovery. But do not know what to do from there. I have the nandroid backup on my sd card and also on my MacbookPro. I've tried searching forums and google for help but cannot find any. I read something about a root folder? Do I manually add a folder to my sd named root? I'd really like to get this done, I'm getting so frustrated as my phone asks me multiple times a day if I'd like to install the update. I'm so frustrated that I just want to completely restore my phone to factory default and start over, but I'm too worried that I can't do this safely since my phone is rooted. PLEASE HELP

All help is very much appreciated. I read this tons of threads but couldn't find info/directions specific enough to my situation to use and therefor risk bricking my phone so I decided it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance

I think you're spending too much time worrying about recovery images, backups, ROM manager, so on and so forth. I can get you where you need to be and i can answer any question you may have but i need some info from you ......

Also, to make this easier on my eyes, please reply back in the same fashion I am listing the questions :)

1) Are you rooted.
- To verify, go the the market, download "Android Terminal Emulator" (its free)
Launch Terminal emulator and type:
su [press enter]
if it says "#" you are rooted. If it comes back with "$" you aren't rooted.

2) Do you have NAND unlocked?
- Power off the phone then power on by holding the power and vol down buttons. That will bring you to hboot. At the top of the screen look for s-on or s-off. If you have s-off then you have NAND unlocked. s-on means NAND is locked.

3) Assuming the answers to #1 and #2 above are "yes, yes", is what you're looking for just a stock rooted version on the newest OTA?

Reactions: caramelcarebr

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
If that's true it's still better to wait for a ROM based off of the source code (when it's released) than to unroot for the OTA and reroot after that. I haven't heard any dev directly say that the OTA is any better or worse than ROM's based off of it, but given the fact that the ROM is based off the OTA I would think that it would be the same fix. So it should be the same performance.

I had a ROM that had the hacked fix before the OTA and the ROM I'm running based on the OTA definitely feels smoother, if that makes sense.

The FPS fix is in the kernel not the ROM. If the kernel is 2.6.32.15 htc-kernel # 11 then you have the official HTC FPS fix. Which i agree 150% the HTC fix is sooooo much better then the previous "fix" :)

Reactions: Kevin OQuinn

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The FPS fix is in the kernel not the ROM. If the kernel is 2.6.32.15 htc-kernel # 11 then you have the official HTC FPS fix. Which i agree 150% the HTC fix is sooooo much better then the previous "fix" :)

I haven't been paying attention... Did we ever figure out if it was a screen refresh "Fix" or an actual FPS uncap

I've been running King's so I never decided to research it

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

What is the 2.6.34 base that netarchy uses then? Just curious.

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I think you're spending too much time worrying about recovery images, backups, ROM manager, so on and so forth. I can get you where you need to be and i can answer any question you may have but i need some info from you ......

Also, to make this easier on my eyes, please reply back in the same fashion I am listing the questions :)

1) Are you rooted.
- To verify, go the the market, download "Android Terminal Emulator" (its free)
Launch Terminal emulator and type:
su [press enter]
if it says "#" you are rooted. If it comes back with "$" you aren't rooted.

2) Do you have NAND unlocked?
- Power off the phone then power on by holding the power and vol down buttons. That will bring you to hboot. At the top of the screen look for s-on or s-off. If you have s-off then you have NAND unlocked. s-on means NAND is locked.

3) Assuming the answers to #1 and #2 above are "yes, yes", is what you're looking for just a stock rooted version on the newest OTA?

1. Yes, I'm rooted.
2. I have nand unlocked.

3. I'd like to update to the newest ota to get the fps cap removed and have root.
I was reading this thread on xda [Guide] How to apply the new OTA 3.29.651.5 when you have clockwork and s-off - Page 13 - xda-developers

But while reading that I realized I didn't have a recovery (after root) to restore that had all the bloatware apps on it because I deleted them AFTER I did the backup and AFTER I rooted, so I can't just restore my backup, install update and then reflash my rom. I only have the one backup and it was before I rooted. So I would have to restore that, which would take away root, then install newest ota update, then re-root. This is the only response I received from xda, and they've not responded to any of my follow up questions.

"For your situation just restore your pre root backup, and try updating, if it fails then try pushing the update in this guide with your recovery. Once your updated you can complete this guide or just run unrevoked again.

Your problems are as follows
1 Update wont install if bloatware was removed.
2 Update wont install over a customer recovery unless you push it with the customer recovery."

This response sounds simple enough, but I don't know how to restore my nand backup, and I asked on there and never got an answer and I have typed in "how to restore nandroid backup" on here and couldn't find anything. Is this the only way? Restore pre-root backup, dl 3.29, then re root? Does unrevoked 3.21 work with the newest ota?

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
1. Yes, I'm rooted.
2. I have nand unlocked.

3. I'd like to update to the newest ota to get the fps cap removed and have root.
I was reading this thread on xda [Guide] How to apply the new OTA 3.29.651.5 when you have clockwork and s-off - Page 13 - xda-developers

But while reading that I realized I didn't have a recovery (after root) to restore that had all the bloatware apps on it because I deleted them before I did a backup and before I rooted, so I can't just restore my backup, install update and then reflash my rom. I only have the one backup and it was before I rooted. So I would have to restore that, which would take away root, then install newest ota update, then re-root. This is the only response I received from xda, and they've not responded to any of my follow up questions.

"For your situation just restore your pre root backup, and try updating, if it fails then try pushing the update in this guide with your recovery. Once your updated you can complete this guide or just run unrevoked again.

Your problems are as follows
1 Update wont install if bloatware was removed.
2 Update wont install over a customer recovery unless you push it with the customer recovery."

This response sounds simple enough, but I don't know how to restore my nand backup, and I asked on there and never got an answer and I have typed in "how to restore nandroid backup" on here and couldn't find anything. Is this the only way? Restore pre-root backup, dl 3.29, then re root? Does unrevoked 3.21 work with the newest ota?

ok, everything above ....forget it. Start blank slate, fresh mind ok?

1) I hope you checked that you have root and NAND is unlocked and didnt just assume. If you assumed and didn't verify then anything i say is moot.

2) On your PC, download THIS rom. Dont open it, don't unzip it, dont rename it. Just download

3) Move the zip file from step 2 above to the root of your SD card, again dont open it, don't unzip it, dont rename it. Just move it. To do this connect your phone to your PC. Drag down the notification bar and mount it as an external drive. Put the zip file right on the root of the sd card, not in a folder, nowhere but the very root.

4) Go into recovery and make a backup of your current ROM. It should be an option that says backup/restore. If you have amen RA it will be "backup/restore" Select this then select "backup". Let it do its thing. Will take about 3-5 minutes.

5) Now, again im assuming you have amen ra, go to the "wipe" option. Wipe factory, wipe cache, wipe dalvik. Wipe all 3. Dont need to wipe anything else and dont skip any of the 3 i just listed.

6) Now select the option to flash from SD card. Select the zip you placed on your SDcard in step 3. It will ask you if you're sure. Say yes. Then sit and wait as it flashes for about 5 minutes.

7) Now reboot

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Si. Straight from HTC, look under 9/24 maintenance update. " improved LCD refresh rate"

HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC EVO™ 4G (Sprint) - Downloads

Sho nuf but I think that's general public speak and not technical "how" they accomplished the refresh rate. They certainly achieved it differently because the smoothness (no tearing), the responsive, the general feel is 10th fold of the hacked kernels. Well that or they actually pay people a lot of money to program all day lol!

I'm not a videophile by any means and even I see the difference in the hacked kernels compared to HTC's ::shrugs::

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Dunno, I think something needs to be done to get the word out that people don't need to unroot to gain updates.

Don't ask me how though. All he needs to do is flash the AC rom and he is all set....

caramelcarebr

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I went to work. The reason I said I would need to unroot is because I deleted sprint bloatware (after I did a backup and after I rooted) and was told (on xda) that the ota would not take kindly to that and then not work. And I'm not entirely sure of all the exact things I deleted so I couldn't go the route of manually installing all the deleted stuffs apks. Hence my idea that I had to restore backup, which was pre-root, and then proceed from there. And one big thing, I guess you missed it, but I have a macbook pro, not a pc. Will this change things? I know Macs will often unzip things automatically...

Btw, I'd like to use Baked Snack 1.8 with the best battery kernel which I think is #5. I'm currently running baked snack 1.7 kernel #6.

snap20101015175134.png

Sent from my rooted HTC EVO

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to get the ota from sprint, roms have the ota and its benefits built in.

Download the ac Rom in the sticky and flash it. It's basically stock 3. 29 (latest ota) but rooted with a few cool tweaks.

You will enjoy it.

___

You're rooted, you no longer get otas unless you want to unroot, because there's no point in getting otas when that's what most roms are built from, the newest ota.

Comprende?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non