Evo Plans: Requires extra for 4G and hotspot? Ugh.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I hope this isn't true and they either have incorrect info or are misreading it:
HTC Evo 4G Expensive To Own, Sprint Leaks New Packages

* Special plans are being created for the HTC EVO 4G because it is the first dual mode 3G/4G phone offered by Sprint.

* The Sprint Mobile Hotspot feature, which is explained in detail in the New Apps section of this course, requires an attachable plan code. This code carries a monthly recurring charge. The cost of this plan and the code itself will be revealed at a later time closer to the launch of the HTC EVO 4G.

So now it looks like HTC Evo 4G buyers may need to pay separately for voice, 3G data, 4G/WiMax data

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
That was widely shot down on another forum. I have no confidence in Sprint's decisions but I'm confident they wouldn't do that.

Only 3 more days 'till all is answered.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Ozcar is at it again! :rolleyes:

That would be a nice way for Sprint to shoot itself in the food. I really hope it isn't true though, I'd rather stay with my current plan.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think it is widely believed that 4G will be built into current cell phone data plans. Since 4G is still growing, I doubt they would charge extra for it right now. Plus, it would be a great marketing chance for Sprint and a way for them to get new customers, which they need to do.

As far as the mobile hotspot goes, charging for that makes sense. It isn't a widely needed feature, but people who really need it will pay for it. The big question is what is it going to cost per month? I have heard any where from $10-$40/month.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
This was supposedly from an internal e-mail to Sprint employees concerning training. I posted in another thread that I believe if the plan prices are the same as AT&T's for the iPhone that Sprint should be prepared to lose quite a few subscribers.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Sprint doesn't have the clout to start charging these higher price ala carte line items. I do think that they will charge 10 to 40 for the hotspot, but the 4g/3g will be the same price as it is now. I know 4g isn't in my area and probably won't be for a long while. Right now Sprint needs a great device with a great price and a better plan than Verizon or AT&T. They need to lure people away, not match what those other carriers are doing. Sprint still has a small imprint and needs to grow and change the attitude of what people think they are. Sprint has changed for the positive in the last few years, but they are being judged by the past. They need a great device at a great price for the phone and a great plan at a reasonable price. This is just my opinion.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The EVO will quickly be the RETRO if plans change other than a modest extra ($10-$20) for adding hotspot..

Exactly right. I hope someone from Sprint is reading this as I had my mind set to drop Sprint for the iphone this June when my contract expires. I will do just that if the EVO plans are nearly or completely identical in cost to the iphone plans.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Exactly right. I hope someone from Sprint is reading this as I had my mind set to drop Sprint for the iphone this June when my contract expires. I will do just that if the EVO plans are nearly or completely identical in cost to the iphone plans.

I doubt Sprint will get anywhere near the astronomical price iPhone users pay for their plans

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Hm, I wonder what they mean by "special plan" though. I am hoping it's just for the hotspot functionality and that 4G really doesn't cost more. Oh well, there is no 4G in my area yet, so if anything, I will be using it just as I am using my Pre, so that should mean my plan remains the same.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Nothing's been said one way or the other about an added fee for WiMAX, but I doubt it. The screenshots posted a while back only indicate the EVO will have its own 4G plan because it's the first device of its kind. They also show there will be an extra charge for the WiFi hotspot feature. Sprint would be foolish to charge extra for 4G on the phone itself.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I was told that new plans have to be created simply so that the hotspot feature can be added to WiMax phones only. These plans have the same rate as existing plans, but are only available for the EVO until other WiMax phones come into existence. I said goodbye to SERO long ago, so I'll deal with it lol.

Of course it wasn't Dan Hesse who told me, so who knows. Well besides Ozcar, of course ;)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the all knowing Ozcar....

So, does that mean we have to change plans only if we want the hotspot feature?

Grr, I just changed my plan and it is going to save me like a thousand bucks a year, I hope I don't have to change again!

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So, does that mean we have to change plans only if we want the hotspot feature?

Grr, I just changed my plan and it is going to save me like a thousand bucks a year, I hope I don't have to change again!

You'll have to change plan if you want the EVO, even without the hotspot feature. Just keep your fingers crossed that they don't charge more for them.

djdisturbed

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Dan Hesse already said that they were not charging more for 4g, they prolly have to put you on a new plan in there system so that you get access to the 4g system. but they will prob. charge extra for the "hot spot" feature, that wll prob be only like $10/ month like it is currently for tethering (Phone As A Modem) feature that you can do on other phones