I have a question for once... Sprint Policy

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Just curious. I'm not ready to give up my Hero, nor do I want to sign a new contract, or add another line to my existing one just yet. I want to test out the Evo... but not the 4G as its not publicly announced in any area I bounce between. Can I just buy the phone outright, have them activate it to get past the initial screen with my Hero's number, then deactivate it and put my number back on my Hero? I kinda just want to tote it around as a mini tablet for the time being. I can just tether from my Hero to Evo to get data anywhere anyway.
Or... will they sell me one without activating it... if there's a way to bypass the initial activation process the phone goes through? If there is, could someone tell me if they know? Curious.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thats sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me and a waste of your money, other than that I have no clue.

Thanks for your opinion... I wouldn't have to pay the $10 a month. which comes out to $240 over the course of a contract. Guess who will be paying about the same price for the phone, but using up an upgrade. If I don't like it, I'll sell it.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes it should work.. It will 100% work if you root your evo. All you do is sign in using your google account (It wont screw up your Hero, you can have one account on several phones), then just reactivate your Hero on your line. Turn your Cellular radio off and you'll have full access to wifi and all features.

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah what 'tnt' said should work, remember online activation is your friend. If you are the main account it is a breeze, I can do it in about 5 minutes on average now :D

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
sweet, thanks for the info. I went to the store, not really busy, don't think I'll have trouble getting one next week as a present to myself if I pass the boards. Its a nice phone... like really nice. But I also checked and there is no 4G in Ft. Lauderdale and there sure as hell isn't any in Merritt Island/Cocoa Beach. So, I refuse to pay the $10 a month for something I don't have.

Ilmater

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
sweet, thanks for the info. I went to the store, not really busy, don't think I'll have trouble getting one next week as a present to myself if I pass the boards. Its a nice phone... like really nice. But I also checked and there is no 4G in Ft. Lauderdale and there sure as hell isn't any in Merritt Island/Cocoa Beach. So, I refuse to pay the $10 a month for something I don't have.
You know, even with the $10 fee, it's cheaper than any comparable plan at any other carrier, right? Is $70 some magical barrier you have in your head for what you think is worth paying for a mobile phone?

It's ok if you feel that way, I'm not judging you, I'm just asking why you feel it's worth all that trouble - two phones to charge, two handsets to lug around, etc. - just to avoid $10 per month.

sYnOnYx

May 20, 2010
Visit site
you think $10 is bad ? try the $30 for just the iphone, no unlimited texting or anything.

the $10 isnt for 4G, its due to the fact that the EVO is going to use alot more data than a regular phone. So 3G or 4G, they expect you to use more data.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
You know, even with the $10 fee, it's cheaper than any comparable plan at any other carrier, right? Is $70 some magical barrier you have in your head for what you think is worth paying for a mobile phone?

It's ok if you feel that way, I'm not judging you, I'm just asking why you feel it's worth all that trouble - two phones to charge, two handsets to lug around, etc. - just to avoid $10 per month.

I don't like paying for things i can't use.That be like making a car payment ever month but not being able to use the car.Just don't make sense that anyone should have to pay for something they can't use.Just my 2 cents.

Ilmater

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
you think $10 is bad ? try the $30 for just the iphone, no unlimited texting or anything.

the $10 isnt for 4G, its due to the fact that the EVO is going to use alot more data than a regular phone. So 3G or 4G, they expect you to use more data.
What he said. It is NOT a 4G charge. It is not called a 4G charge for a reason.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think you've prematurely come to the conclusion that you need to buy the phone: Sprint has a 30-day money back guarantee for the whole boat. Just do an upgrade, get the phone, and try it. If you don't like it you can reverse the entire transaction (including the new line, including any attached contract). Way better than not being able to use it as a phone, IMO.

laydros

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

Not to mention we would love for you to have some hands on time with an EVO. :)

I have actually done this type of thing with Sprint, but it was many, many years ago in an age of black and white screens.

However it seems like it wouldn't be an issue, it would be like buying an unlocked phone and moving your line to it, then buying another unlocked phone and moving your line to the new one.

adebo

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you do buy the phone and return it within the 30 days, as a current Sprint customer, you will pay a $35 restocking fee.