S23 Ultra Screen Protector question

hooligan03

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I have this phone with a screen protector on it and hate it. I put it on due to early reports about screens getting microabrasions.

I am curious if anyone is using the phone without one and gotten these micro scratches? I want to take off the protector off but don't want any micro scratches. I've always used without so this is my 1st phone using one. Just curious, thanks!

Sent from my SM-S918U using AC Forums mobile app

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Got the phone since launch and nothing so far (I also took mine off the S22 about six months in and up to trade in, there were no scratches at all).

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had my S23 Ultra for a month. On my last phone I used a Whitestone Dome glass screen protector, but I've decided not to put one on this phone, partly due to the hype about the phone's use of the latest gorilla glass. I do have a case on the back that has slightly raised bumpers on the front, top and bottom, that keeps the glass from touching a surface if I lay it down face down. And I carry it in my left front pants pocket with nothing else in there that could scratch it. I cannot detect any micro scratches on the surface.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have this phone with a screen protector on it and hate it. I put it on due to early reports about screens getting microabrasions.

I am curious if anyone is using the phone without one and gotten these micro scratches? I want to take off the protector off but don't want any micro scratches. I've always used without so this is my 1st phone using one. Just curious, thanks!

Which screen protector are you using? Different kinds make a difference. If you are using tempered glass you should be getting same feel as the glass underneath it. If your using a TPU type then it won't feel as smooth and leave impressions with pen. If you use a film like Samsung that would be my suggestion where it's smooth and close to glass and no impression using pen.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I, too, am not a fan of glass protectors and used to do film ones (way cheaper to replace, too). However I hate how dirty/flimsy the edges can get especially living by the beach and getting the phone wet.

Reactions: BEaRebel

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Which screen protector are you using? Different kinds make a difference. If you are using tempered glass you should be getting same feel as the glass underneath it. If your using a TPU type then it won't feel as smooth and leave impressions with pen. If you use a film like Samsung that would be my suggestion where it's smooth and close to glass and no impression using pen.

What's the fitting process for the Samsung official protector? does it have a tray or is it just the old school line it up and apply a couple of stickers?

hooligan03

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
It's a film screen protector, not Samsung but another brand. Can't remember right now though.

BEaRebel

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I put on the one from UAG (film), just Horrible. Lifting up on edges for Zero reason + weird grease areas that will not come off. Finally got in the ESU (?) ones someone recommended (tpd glass). Came w/ Camera lens covers, put on immediately. Will modify the "UAG Plyo Clear" Case so they fit better. When front cover on, I'll report back.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I took the WSD off after about 2 weeks on my N20 ultra, never put one on my S22 Ultra bought at launch, and no protector on the S23 Ultra since delivered on 2/20. I hate the screen protectors! But I guess it all depends on your use. I do think I take food care of my devices, but I throw them in my front pocket, occasionally drop them, and sometimes put them in a bag with other devices. It's never been a problem for me. But again, that may not be your experience.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
In my 21+ every protector, i tried rendering the fingerprint unreadable. I even tried redoing my prints. Now, with this 23 Ultra, it reads fingerprints really well. I would hate to ruin it with a screen protector.
Any screen protectors that work with them?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
In my 21+ every protector, i tried rendering the fingerprint unreadable. I even tried redoing my prints. Now, with this 23 Ultra, it reads fingerprints really well. I would hate to ruin it with a screen protector.
Any screen protectors that work with them?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

The glass ones with liquid adhesive (Amfilm and Whitestone Dome) do for sure.

Amfilm worked acceptably, but so far the WSD has been working better, as good as bare screen to my fingers.

Reactions: mesocyclone30

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Attachments

• D8BA8D3E-F1D9-4BB6-A2F8-53BFB2FB6049.jpg
    D8BA8D3E-F1D9-4BB6-A2F8-53BFB2FB6049.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 42
  • F8FB41A3-BC79-4F55-B744-5C756C57BCEA.jpg
    F8FB41A3-BC79-4F55-B744-5C756C57BCEA.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 698E0665-E82A-412B-98F3-719848AF2E33.jpg
    698E0665-E82A-412B-98F3-719848AF2E33.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Using the Spigen film

I always preferred tempered glass, but I used these on my last phone and it worked well. They are easy to install, not too expensive, they worked nicely. Got it on right the first time for the s23 ultra. 😄

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I’ve always used the Spigen on my Note 8 and Note 20U and 22U before switching to the Samsungs. Excellent TPU protector. Just didn’t want to do wet installs and as mentioned the pen use will leave an impression but I learned with S22U you just need to let the protector dry and cure a bit for a couple of weeks before using the pen and the screen has tightened up and hardened where light pressure pen use won’t leave impressions for me.

But the dry plastic film with Samsungs have been much easier and the finger glides over the plastic better than the slight resistance you get with TPU.

Using the Spigen film

I always preferred tempered glass, but I used these on my last phone and it worked well. They are easy to install, not too expensive, they worked nicely. Got it on right the first time for the s23 ultra. ������

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I never use cases or screen protectors. I upgrade my phone each year and have never ended up with a cracked or conspicuously scratched screen at the end of the year. Sometimes I end up with a few microscratches, and sometimes with none at all--my S22U, for example, had none, and my S23U has none so far after more than a month of usage. But my experience may be atypical--I rarely drop my phone, whereas many people report dropping theirs once or more per month.

I'm not sure why you even care about microscratches, though. By definition, they're invisible when the screen is on--when the phone is actually in use--and very hard to see even when the screen is off, unless you're looking for them carefully and deliberately. So why not just refrain from doing that?