Questons from a new Android owner

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought the EVO from BB Friday and have a few ?s:

1) If I run one app, and then switch to another app without closing or exiting from the first app, how do I get back to the first app? Windows XP has a task bar, or even ALT+TAB, for this purpose. Does Android have something similar?

2) If I copy text to the clipboard, how do I paste it elsewhere? I copied text from a page in a web browser but couldn't figure out how to paste it.

3) Is there a way to highlight text for the purpose of copying it to the clipboard? When I copied the text I mentioned above it didn't highlight anything until I told it to Copy. Windows XP highlights each letter as it is selected. I don't expect Android to imitate XP, but I do want to know what I should expect so I can use it appropriately.

4) Is there any way to get rid of Sprint bloatware, short of rooting the phone? I am in no way a NASCAR fan so I really don't want the Sprint NASCAR app.

5) When I tried out the Sprint-provided Hotspot functionality there seemed to be no way to change the SSID, nor the encryption type/code. It seems to be a bit of a security risk for all EVOs to use the same SSID and pin code. Can this be changed?

6) Is there an app that will alert me if I come into range of a 4G tower, even if I currently have 4G turned off? I'd rather not turn on the 4G unless I was sure I was within range.

7) Is there an app for picking up shortwave radio?

8) How do I turn on the speakerphone?

Thanks!

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
1. Tap and hold and hold the Home button.

2. Tap and hold where you want to paste and the option to paste will pop up.

3. Tap and hold where you want to copy and a kind of "magnifying glass will pop up. (not sure what this is really called) Then take your finger off the screen and two green dots will show up. Drag the green dots to select what you want to copy.

4. No. You have to root if you want to get rid of Sprint's bloatware.

5. I'm sure you can change it if you pay the $30 a month to subscribe to the hotspot service.

6. I don't think that's possible. The Wimax radio can't pick up a signal if it's turned off. Only possibility would be an app that runs off GPS and alerts you if you are in an area that is supposed to have 4G coverage.

7. No, but there are several apps that allow you to listen to live audio feeds. If someone was streaming a shortwave radio you could listen to it.

8. When you make a call, just tap on the speaker icon.

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks kd0axs, you rock. re: #5 tho, I did pay the $30/month for the hotspot service. I'm probably going back to Sprint tomorrow to have them take it off my account...my laptop got .40 MBps using the EVO hotspot (I'm in 3G land, and the EVO itself only gets .60 using the speedtest app). Until they get 4G to me it's just not worth it. Using PDANet would be faster, I think.

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
9. I see how I can backspace to delete a mistyped letter to the left of the cursor, but is there a way to delete a mistyped letter to the right of the cursor? The Delete key does this in Windows...is there a similar option in Android?

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
10. When I use the WIFI to connect to my home LAN's router, is there a way to access a shared folder on my desktop PC? I'd like to transfer files from my desktop to my phone without having to connect it via USB cable or bluetooth.

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
11. What are the icons circled in red? They don't seem to have any purpose.
12. What are the icons circled in orange and blue? I can turn them off and back on but they don't seem to do anything that I can determine.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
11. What are the icons circled in red? They don't seem to have any purpose.
12. What are the icons circled in orange and blue? I can turn them off and back on but they don't seem to do anything that I can determine.

The one that looks like a satellite dish is the GPS toggle switch. The arrows look like some sort of refresh button.

kona2day

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
The ones in red are the files that you downloaded from the market. If you place your finger at the top of the screen and slide it down, it will show the files you downloaded. To clear them, just push the clear button and it will clear the downloads so you don't see the things you circled in red. It won't delete the actual downloads that you installed.

Last edited:

jaxdave

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
1. Tap and hold and hold the Home button.

2. Tap and hold where you want to paste and the option to paste will pop up.

3. Tap and hold where you want to copy and a kind of "magnifying glass will pop up. (not sure what this is really called) Then take your finger off the screen and two green dots will show up. Drag the green dots to select what you want to copy.

This is great info and answers a question I had as well. Where did you find this?

Thanks!