Clipboard doesn't save copied text.

MarcoKA

Feb 19, 2023
Visit site
Hello, I have an A53 with Android 13, and I use Gboard as keyboard. All updated.
The normal copy and paste, works fine, but the clipboard doesn't keep text in memory more than a few hours.
After a bunch of hours, the copied text in clipboard, just disappear, regardless if I keep the phone on or I restart it.

With my old Android 9 phone, I had all the copied text always available in clipboard, until I manually deleted it.

Reactions: John-Charleston

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Gboard is set to delete items in the clipboard after an hour by default. You can go to the Gboard clipboard and pin an item to keep a specific item longer, or go to Gboard settings and turn it off completely.

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Gboard is set to delete items in the clipboard after an hour by default. You can go to the Gboard clipboard and pin an item to keep a specific item longer, or go to Gboard settings and turn it off completely.
I'm faced with the same issue as the OP since I changed phones and the OS updated. One hour is ridiculously short imo. Is there a way to change that amount. Is there a way to increase the number of clips? If I turn off Gboard's clipboard completely, will I be able to use a different clipboard with Gboard?

I use Ditto clipboard on my laptop and am spoiled by that I guess. I'm a Realtor and often clipping addresses, urls, MLS numbers, etc, etc, and I often would like to access them the next day or even days later. I'll leave Gboard if there's not a better clipboard solution.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Maybe, but as the OP pointed out, Gboard didn't used to work that way and the change is not an improvement. I'm looking for a more user friendly keyboard now even though I'm used to Gboard.
Try something like this in play store but not sure how well it works as I use the default in each keyboards.

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Try something like this in play store but not sure how well it works as I use the default in each keyboards.

I was looking into clipboard apps but it doesn't seem like they would interact with Gboard. In other words, I'd have to leave Gboard to access the clips. I'm not sure about that but was assuming I'd need a keyboard app with decent clipboard capability. I'll look into this one later when I have the time.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I was looking into clipboard apps but it doesn't seem like they would interact with Gboard. In other words, I'd have to leave Gboard to access the clips. I'm not sure about that but was assuming I'd need a keyboard app with decent clipboard capability. I'll look into this one later when I have the time.
Not sure if anything else is out there

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I assume everything clipped is just saved on the native phone storage... what would be the reason for Gboard to limit clips like that? It didn't used to be the case.
I'd say to prevent the clipboard from getting excessively cluttered. The clipboard is intended for very temporary usage, and not more permanent storage of items.

Reactions: mustang7757
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I'd say to prevent the clipboard from getting excessively cluttered. The clipboard is intended for very temporary usage, and not more permanent storage of items.
I use Ditto Clipboard on my laptop. It's very configurable and one of the options I choose is to save the last 500 clips. The clips are also searchable and it's incredibly useful. I'm not looking for 500 clips out of an android keyboard but having them disappear in an hour or two seems like a really odd choice. Unless there's a functional reason for it that I don't understand, but I doubt that since it used to save a good number of clips in older OS versions.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I use Ditto Clipboard on my laptop. It's very configurable and one of the options I choose is to save the last 500 clips. The clips are also searchable and it's incredibly useful. I'm not looking for 500 clips out of an android keyboard but having them disappear in an hour or two seems like a really odd choice. Unless there's a functional reason for it that I don't understand, but I doubt that since it used to save a good number of clips in older OS versions.
The benefits of copy /paste on goggle Gboard or pretty much any keyboard these days on Android devices is the content you copy doesn't download to the device and that it won't use up memory or clutter your device and why it's deleted in 2 hours if not pinned.

So if your using that way you mentioned probably have to find a 3rd party app or application to help you unfortunately:(

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
The benefits of copy /paste on goggle Gboard or pretty much any keyboard these days on Android devices is the content you copy doesn't download to the device and that it won't use up memory or clutter your device and why it's deleted in 2 hours if not pinned.

So if your using that way you mentioned probably have to find a 3rd party app or application to help you unfortunately:(
What I described is on my laptop. I'm not looking for all of that functionality on my phone but what is offered in the keyboards is pitiful. I can't fathom why they would go backwards from the more user friendly version that used to be the case. Phones generally have more memory and storage these days than they used to. But ok, it is what it is. I'll look for a workaround or alternative keyboard.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What I described is on my laptop. I'm not looking for all of that functionality on my phone but what is offered in the keyboards is pitiful. I can't fathom why they would go backwards from the more user friendly version that used to be the case. Phones generally have more memory and storage these days than they used to. But ok, it is what it is. I'll look for a workaround or alternative keyboard.
I don't disagree with you for on the device but to be heard you can send feedback through settings to Google

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Actually I think I just found my replacement keyboard hidden in plain view. The Samsung keyboard holds at least 36 clips afaict. I guess it's using an native clipboard already in the system because some of these clips are days old.
There are some other features that I like as well but it will take some getting used to after having used Gboard for so long. It's my new keyboard as of now though.

Reactions: B. Diddy

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Actually I think I just found my replacement keyboard hidden in plain view. The Samsung keyboard holds at least 36 clips afaict. I guess it's using an native clipboard already in the system because some of these clips are days old.
There are some other features that I like as well but it will take some getting used to after having used Gboard for so long. It's my new keyboard as of now though.
Hopefully works out for you 👍

Reactions: John-Charleston

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another option would be to use Google Keep as your clipboard (although that means opening a separate app when you want to access your copied text).