Issue with Roaming

Michael James

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Did some testing yesterday as my home is 100% in a roaming area.

If you have Mobile Network "ON", all your calls go immediately to voice mail, whether or not if you are active on the internet.

So basically, I have to switch this off and on everytime I use the browser or any app that accesses the internet. Or any time I need to update my e-mail.

Any work arounds here?

Michael James

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Calls going directly to voicemail

I am still having this problem. I do notice that my 3G arrows both up and down are solid most of the time. Does this mean some application is constantly using the internet? And if so, is that blocking my phone calls from coming in. Remmber I am in a Roaming area 100% of the time. Also, I have another Sprint phone sitting next to it and it gets calls. I have used ATK to try and kill everything off. Surprisingly, everytime I kill off everything, Volicemail, Amazon MP3, QIK and Music come back on?

Please any help is greatly appreciated!!:eek:

Last edited:

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea...
But bump...

I wonder if this can be solved with a hard reset.
When you kill everything, does the 3g icon still have the arrows indicating that it is being used?

Michael James

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
1. When the 3G and the 3G arrows are greyed out (I assume this is the inactive state), I get calls.
2. If the 3G is lit up with no arrows lit, no calls recieved, goes to voice mail
3. If the 3G is lit up and there is activity up or down, goes to voicemail.
4. With Mobile Network turned off, I get calls (when Mobile Network is turned off, the 3G does not show either)
5. When I use ATK to kill everything including ATK itself, I still get 3G.. a little activity but not much (maybe every 15 seconds it comes on briefly)

This has happened since day 1 I got the phone when it first came out. I recently did the OTA upgrade to Froyo.

Last edited:

machjuan#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Is this happening to you guys at home? Are you guys looking for a home remedy? Because if that's the case you can call sprint and tell them about your problem and that you want to quit your service with them cuz you don't get reception at all. They will then offer you a free airave and service for free. Now if they dont mention the free service tell them that you will not pay for the service and they should give you that free too. I've had this for over a year and it works great. My house is the only dead zone I have come across in the 5 years i've been with sprint. Hope this was of help to you guys.

Michael James

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I think the airave product is a possibility.. The problem is that I do not move into a non-roaming area until I get about 5 miles from my house.

Also, Here is a possible work around. I have internet already at my house, so what I did was to turn on Wifi while I am at home.

Wifi does not appear to be interferring with incoming calls! It appears that only 3G does.

This is a hassle though since I will have to switch wifi off when I leave to conserve battery.

I'm also thinking it may be related to the PRL Update..when you go into Settings and try to update the PRL in a roaming area, it NEVER updates. I get a data call failure Error Code 67. Registration failure. Your PCS Vision username or password may be incorrrect.

Is that normal?

stevehsteveh

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Also, Here is a possible work around. I have internet already at my house, so what I did was to turn on Wifi while I am at home.

Wifi does not appear to be interferring with incoming calls! It appears that only 3G does.

This is a hassle though since I will have to switch wifi off when I leave to conserve battery.

Data (3g) and voice cannot coexist on a cdma network, as you have found out and that?s why you can?t receive calls when you have data activity.

3g takes more battery than wifi, leave wifi on.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the airave product is a possibility.. The problem is that I do not move into a non-roaming area until I get about 5 miles from my house.

I'm also thinking it may be related to the PRL Update..when you go into Settings and try to update the PRL in a roaming area, it NEVER updates. I get a data call failure Error Code 67. Registration failure. Your PCS Vision username or password may be incorrrect.

Is that normal?

Both Locale and Tasker allow you to turn things on/off like wifi/bluetooth/etc based on a ton of conditions like time of day, your location, what cell tower you are connected to, etc. I prefer Locale because of the tons of plugins that are available for it that add new conditions or new things to turn on and off but it is more expensive (around $10). Tasker is around $5 and covers the basics, might want to give them a try.

I use locale everyday to turn on bluetooth when I am not in wifi range of a list of networks (because I'm probably in my truck), and to turn wifi off when I am not at home or work, and to put my phone on vibrate when I get to work, plus other things, works wonders.

hazakins

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Roaming is 1x

This phone does not have the ability to show that its 1x as even in 1x area it still shows the 3g icon. When you are roaming you are only going to get 1x data. Some times i get 3g if im not in a Verizon roam area but an Altel area as Sprint and Altel had a 3g roaming agreement. So most likely your are roaming to Verizon at 1x that has a very bad problem with letting phone calls through while accessing the internet. Most all smart phones will hop on the internet to check email and such. Just like with my Pre with wifi left on it wont use the data connection through the cdma network and will let phone calls through np.