1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Camera Killing Battery Life?

I got my phone Monday and have been using it for around two days. In both instances, the camera was the process that consumed the most battery, according the battery usage information in the settings. Today, camera used 32% of the battery, while android sytem used 25% and Sprint Naviagation used 12%.

Why did the camera suck up so much juice, despite taking around 15 photographs?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Note that this occurred on both days in the same manner.

Default I'll add to this

This was from 9 hours of usage. I only used the camcorder for 32 seconds. Does this look right?

I also spent time on youtube, web browsing with wifi, and browsed the market a lot. It doesnt make sense that the system is only at 9% and camera is 82% considering I used it for such a small amount of time.

Sorry for the bad quality pic, I hope you can make it out.

Thanks for the help!

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

I saw this too. I thought it was kind of open in the background ready to pop open quickly... but it'd be nice if it didn't do that, if it does in face do what I think it does.

Are you using the flash? Those LEDs are going to such juice.

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Are you using the flash? Those LEDs are going to such juice.
    I doubt the LEDs are the culprit- most LEDs use less than 30mA of current while on, and the flashes are only on for seconds at a time.

To put it in perspective: The EVO has a 1500mAh capacity battery. An average LED uses ~20mA to light, but since these are bright-*** LEDs, lets call it 50mA. The flash fires for ~2 seconds. 2/3600 = .000555 hours * 50mA = 0.028mAh * 2 flashes = 0.055mAh of usage for both flashes during a photograph. This amounts to 0.0037% of the total battery capacity of the EVO.
    Last edited by mhespenh; 06-09-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: edited to ad some maths
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I got a similar result to your photo, but I doubt its because its open in the background as I used a Task Killer just to be sure (Using a task killer continuously didn't change my battery life at all).

It must be a bug in my opinion.

Default Re: Camera Killing Battery Life?

Use some task killer application especially something like Advance Task Killer, on the other hand you may also try the Low Battery Camera ->