S20 Plus: Dodgy battery?

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys.

I just moved from an Ultra to an S20 Plus. Battery on the Ultra wasn't great but ok. I'd read that despite the smaller cell size, the Plus had a decent battery because it was proportionally powering a smaller screen.
In fact, some reviews like ZDnet said it was actually better.. even in 120Hz mode.

I set mine up using smart switch from my Ultra the other day and I can't say I'm impressed. Yesterday was my first full day of using it and it wasn't a heavy day by any standard.. it came off the charger at 8am and was dead by 10. Completely flat.

Screen on time of about three hours and no obvious apps draining the battery.
Yes, this is in 120 Hz mode and I know that is a bigger battery hog but this does seem excessive.

I take it off charge and it's down from 100% to 99% in a few seconds (I gather that's a normal Samsung trait compared to the iPhone which stays at 100% usually for a good 15 mins).
But I was down from 100 to 94% in about ten to fifteen mins this morning just from checking my notifications, Facebook etc.. no real heavy lifting.

Attached is this morning's usage for what it's worth.

Is this normal and it's anybody else experiencing this? A phone that only lasts 12 hours with the screen barely being used isn't going to work for me.. I don't want to have to throttle it by turning the screen refresh rate down just to keep it going because that negates the point of having it in the first place.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200324-084759_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20200324-084759_Device care.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 20

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi , you cant really look at 100 to 94 % in 10 minutes it's not accurate way to determine battery life as all andriod phones go down like that, but if your getting close to 5hrs SOT and say battery that's normal with 120hz on all the time .

Can you go back on 23 show the stats?

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi , you cant really look at 100 to 94 % in 10 minutes it's not accurate way to determine battery life as all andriod phones go down like that, but if your getting close to 5hrs SOT and say battery that's normal with 120hz on all the time .

Can you go back on 23 show the stats?

Hey. No, five hours SOT would be great. I had a little under THREE. That's what concerned me. None of it was heavy lifting SOT either. No video editing or anything like that.. just stuff like Google Keep, chrome, Twitter etc etc.

Go back on 23?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey. No, five hours SOT would be great. I had a little under THREE. That's what concerned me. None of it was heavy lifting SOT either. No video editing or anything like that.. just stuff like Google Keep, chrome, Twitter etc etc.

Go back on 23?
Yeah on the 23 please

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah that day 4hrs SOT , since you had it for few days give it time to learn your usage pattern should improve.

DYKWIA

Mar 8, 2020
Visit site
My S20+ was the same when I first got it. But it now seems to have sorted itself out, and I get good battery life.

What seemed to fix it for me was changing the setting so it wasn't trying to connect to 5G. I don't have 5G included in my mobile contract, so I wonder if it was constantly trying to find a 5G connection?

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
My S20+ was the same when I first got it. But it now seems to have sorted itself out, and I get good battery life.

What seemed to fix it for me was changing the setting so it wasn't trying to connect to 5G. I don't have 5G included in my mobile contract, so I wonder if it was constantly trying to find a 5G connection?

I've got great 5G service where I live but then again, it's not actually much different to LTE for me

carlitobahsoun

Jun 8, 2019
Visit site
my opinion battery drain depend of : aod is on ???? bluetooth is on ??? location is on ??? sync is on ?????
if answer is yes all above are on than u will not get best battery on any mobile + did u put selected app into sleep in device care / battery / app power management / sleeping app .
another think , did u made clear cache from recovery ??? at least once per week or after every new patch update .
that can help improve battery .
hope i help .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
my opinion battery drain depend of : aod is on ???? bluetooth is on ??? location is on ??? sync is on ?????
if answer is yes all above are on than u will not get best battery on any mobile + did u put selected app into sleep in device care / battery / app power management / sleeping app .
another think , did u made clear cache from recovery ??? at least once per week or after every new patch update .
that can help improve battery .
hope i help .
AOD ,sync,bluetooth,location shouldn't matter too much I have them always on with excellent battery

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
People are not giving these devices enough time to break in and learn your usage habits. Since the release of the Ultra I'm now able to get a full day of use out of this battery. Every single Android device could never last me a day with the way I use my devices. I use 120hz and everything else maxed out with no battery optimizations. The iPhone 11 Pro Max was the first smartphone that could last me a whole day and now the Ultra. I'm really pleased with the battery life so far. But of course everyone's usage and battery experience will vary.

mahers

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have Bluetooth and wifi on all the time, I use an app that wakes the screen for several notifications throughout the day, 120hz, vivid colors... Getting about 5 hours of SOT. I can't seem to kill the battery. Comes off charger about 7am, back on between 10-11pm,and the lowest I've seen it go is 23%. This phone is a beast!

regor60

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys.

I just moved from an Ultra to an S20 Plus. Battery on the Ultra wasn't great but ok. I'd read that despite the smaller cell size, the Plus had a decent battery because it was proportionally powering a smaller screen.
In fact, some reviews like ZDnet said it was actually better.. even in 120Hz mode.

I set mine up using smart switch from my Ultra the other day and I can't say I'm impressed. Yesterday was my first full day of using it and it wasn't a heavy day by any standard.. it came off the charger at 8am and was dead by 10. Completely flat.

Screen on time of about three hours and no obvious apps draining the battery.
Yes, this is in 120 Hz mode and I know that is a bigger battery hog but this does seem excessive.

I take it off charge and it's down from 100% to 99% in a few seconds (I gather that's a normal Samsung trait compared to the iPhone which stays at 100% usually for a good 15 mins).
But I was down from 100 to 94% in about ten to fifteen mins this morning just from checking my notifications, Facebook etc.. no real heavy lifting.

Attached is this morning's usage for what it's worth.

Is this normal and it's anybody else experiencing this? A phone that only lasts 12 hours with the screen barely being used isn't going to work for me.. I don't want to have to throttle it by turning the screen refresh rate down just to keep it going because that negates the point of having it in the first place.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks all.

Do you actually believe the iPhone consumes no energy over a 15 minute period ?

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Do you actually believe the iPhone consumes no energy over a 15 minute period ?

iPhones keep displaying 100% even after the battery drops, and Apple does it to give a perception of better battery life. When my company was doing testing, we had to open the iPhones and take measurements from the battery itself. I watched battery voltage dropping from 4.27 volts down to 4.19, and the phone still showed 100%. Android phone batteries drop as well, but the percentage display follows the natural voltage drop and is not "managed" to show 100% longer.

In short, with the exact same battery level of 4.22 volts, an Android will show 99% and an iPhone will show 100%.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174