EVO or Nexus One?

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So after a few days with the EVO I do like it. There's just something missing. I think I miss my nexus one. It's not sprints network cuz that is fine. Battery life is good not great. 4g kinda kills the battery and thats what I have it on. Maybe im just afraid of commitment to a two year contract with sprint. I like the Sense UI tho. Not sure what I'm gonna do. Maybe I should give it more time.

I had the ATT 3G Nexus One but I can't stand AT&T for their policies and billing issues and price. The only real move is to T-Mobile since I would not have to sign a contract and just pay month to month and buy the Nexus One T-Mobile outright.

Anyone else go from the N1 to EVO and am missing the N1?

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and I'm in love with the EVO.

I personally didn't like the N1.

I would recommend you stick with it.

FroYo should be rolling out soon (Confirmed coming to EVO)

or if you plan on rooting, you can already get it.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So after a few days with the EVO I do like it. There's just something missing. I think I miss my nexus one. It's not sprints network cuz that is fine. Battery life is good not great. 4g kinda kills the battery and thats what I have it on. Maybe im just afraid of commitment to a two year contract with sprint. I like the Sense UI tho. Not sure what I'm gonna do. Maybe I should give it more time.

I had the ATT 3G Nexus One but I can't stand AT&T for their policies and billing issues and price. The only real move is to T-Mobile since I would not have to sign a contract and just pay month to month and buy the Nexus One T-Mobile outright.

Anyone else go from the N1 to EVO and am missing the N1?

I went from the iPhone to the Nexus One... AT&T was my biggest complaint with the iPhone so I went with the T-Mobile Nexus One.... FOR ME and where I live T-Mobile was 100 times worst than AT&T. If you happen to live in one of their HSDPA+ area's the N1 was a blazing fast machine. Problem was T-Mobiles network is pretty small and their 3G coverage is abysmal to say the least.

I was holding out for a Verizon or Sprint N1. and that all went away with the Droid Incredible and the EVO.

Don't get me wrong.. I truly love my EVO.... I think overall I would have been just as happy with a Sprint Nexus One.. The N1 just felt like the perfect balance of size, weight and battery life. Since the N1 was my first Android phone I kind of got use to the Vanilla Android and wish that HTC would give you the option of a phone with and with out Sense installed (would at least speed up getting updated versions if you could go with out sense)

3.7 inch screen also never seemed too big.. it just felt perfect size... 4.3 took me some getting use to when physically talking on the phone... Just trying to find that perfect way to hold that monster while talking... It still feels a little weird holding it up to my ear (and I am 6' 1" 210 lbs so it's not like I am a small guy and I saw a girl at Best Buy with an EVO who was no more than 5' 2" and 110 lbs... Phone looked like a monster next to her head)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, and I'm in love with the EVO.

I personally didn't like the N1.

I would recommend you stick with it.

FroYo should be rolling out soon (Confirmed coming to EVO)

or if you plan on rooting, you can already get it.

By the time the EVO has Froyo the Nexus One will be ready to push out 2.3... I like my EVO.. Love it actually but I felt the Nexus One was just a better overall fit.. I like the stock android and with out sense updates would get pushed out a heck of a lot faster..

HTC and Google Confirmed the EVO would get 2.2 but they just said "Second half of 2010" which could mean July or December..... It seems to take HTC a good 3 - 4 months to get sense to play nice with each version of Android..

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Sprint lets you upgrade your phone every year as a premier customer. You won't feel tied down.

Good advice--And you will automatically be a Premier customer because of the plan you have to get with the EVO.

On the other hand, it helps a lot to feel good about your phone, and sounds like you haven't settled down from using the old one.

I suppose you terminated your plan with the N1? It might be a useful exercise if you could go back to carrying the N1 for a few days and THEN see how you feel about the EVO. Might be worth it, even if you have to pay for two cell plans for a month. I doubt you'll be truly unhappy either way you go. I'm delighted with my EVO, but N1 appears to be quite a good phone also.

barko12

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Switched to the EVO from the Nexus and, while I like the EVO, its getting returned this weekend. There is just something missing. Not wanting to be in a contract doesn't help either. Even though going back to TMO means worse coverage, I'm looking forward to getting the Nexus back.

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Switched to the EVO from the Nexus and, while I like the EVO, its getting returned this weekend. There is just something missing. Not wanting to be in a contract doesn't help either. Even though going back to TMO means worse coverage, I'm looking forward to getting the Nexus back.

Gotta agree =)

The Evo just doesn't have enough features over my Nexus One that I would use to justify locking myself into a 2yr contract.

Guess I'll wait for the next 4.x' screen on T-mo so that I can sell my N1 on craigslist for $500 and purchase the next big thing contract free.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
See my sig.

Were I in your shoes, I'd ask "What do I objectively like better about the N1?" Once you answer that question, your decision ought to be pretty easy.

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I would stick with EVO cause when 4G comes fully around it will eat leass battery it wont have to always scan. Also HTC said it is coming out with firmware update to fix current problems. Dont forget this is 1st Gen phone of its kind, so we all have to be just little patient.

yukoncornelius

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Interesting thread....

I was on at&t, dropped them for a nokia n900 which was tmo exclusive, dropped the n900 and have bene on my nexus one for a while now (currently running froyo build 50). However, I'm always looking for a change and to my surprise my work has a 23% or so discount for sprint. If I have my girlfriend switch to sprint its a pretty NICE monthly savings.

I think there are several things the evo has I wish my nexus had. For one I really like a nice camera in my phones - the nexus camera is absolutely horrendus for being 5mp. I'm coming from nokia's with the carl zeiss 5mp and they destroy the nexus one. HDMI port on the evo is also a big attraction. The larger display seems really nice but would the size of the phone get annoying? I don't know.

Any thoughts? I'm gonna ask a coworker of mine tomorrow how sprint's 3g service is in my area, that will probably be the determining factor. Money talks and sprint's pricing with my employer discount is unbeatable - even to tmobile!

However - its hard to leave tmobile knowing HSPA+ should be in my area this year. I don't see wimax expanding rapidly.

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The only real move is to T-Mobile since I would not have to sign a contract and just pay month to month and buy the Nexus One T-Mobile outright.

Exactly!

I have spent a LOT of time with both the Nexus One and the Evo and in the end I am going to stay with my Nexus One (until a 4.3 stock android comes out on T-mo)

I am prone to getting into a frenzy over a new major toy like the Evo. The 3 main features that had me salivating to get an Evo over the Nexus One at first were:

1) 4.3' screen

2) The kickstand --- so that I can stand it up and play emulators with my wiimote

3) 4G!!! --- so I thought...

While the 4.3' screen holds up against the Nexus One and is quite beautiful... the other two features ended up being falling short.

The kickstand I would have used to play my emulators is canceled out by the fact that HTC put Sense UI on the phone which blocks wiimotes from connecting (wiimotes work perfect on my Nexus One and its amazing).

The 4g isn't in Southern California yet (pure horsesh#t...) and by the time the 4g network is adequately built there will be a better phone than the Evo out, which makes the 4g part of the Evo pretty useless to me.

Now... lets go over the advantages the Nexus One has over the Evo:

1) No Contract Flexibility --- I signed up for a month to month contract free Even More Plus plan for $50/mo for 500 min (all that I need) + data (which I use with Google Voice to get free unlimited txt messaging)

2) Total Cost of Ownership --- I will have payed $529 upfront + 1,200 ($50/mo for 2 years) for a TOTAL of $1729.

Compare this to the 2yr lockdown cost of an Evo: $200 upfront + 1,920 ($80/mo for 2 years) for a TOTAL of $2120

3) Updates --- I like my warranty. I don't want to throw my warranty away, by rooting, just because Sprint want's to take months and months stripping out features of the update before they finally roll it out.

You can't go wrong since they are the 2 best phones out currently, but I personally would much rather have a N1 so that I could:
- save $400
- get my updates months earlier
- have the option to sell my Nexus One anytime I want on craigslist for $500 and purchase the next best thing that comes without having to pay an ETF.

Rather than give up those key advantages for:
- 4.3' screen (the only real advantage for me the Evo has over the Nexus One)

I know that in the next 6-8 months there will be an Android 4.x' screen on T-mobile that I can buy contract free so I am more than happy to stick with my Nexus One so that I have better pricing/contract options available.

Again though, this is just what works for me currently. I am sure you will have most of the people on an Evo forum to tell you to go with an Evo =P

P.S. I know other people might say other advantages such as...
- "But Sprint is better than T-mo coverage!" --- well not for me, T-mo is great in SoCal and has the best contract options

- 8mp vs 5mp --- I really don't care about 5 vs 93845792 mp argument. At some point the megapixels don't really matter unless your taking pictures that your going to enlarge into posters. 5mp is more than enough for me and an extra 3 isnt worth locking myself into a 2 yr contract for an extra $400

- HDMI output --- I was REALLY hopeful that this would show whatever is on my Evo screen on my TV so that I could play my emulators with my Wiimote just like a pure console! But it only works for the gallery app which I rarely if ever would show other people on my TV

- Front facing camera --- I don't know of anyone that has a front facing camera phone that I would ever use this feature with.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
i am blatantly biased cause i own the nexus one. but i've played with the evo about 15 times now and the nexus one is my baby:D. its just so solid and superior build quality and materials. and its the perfect size mobile device. not that the evo is bad. but if i had my choice i'd take the nexus.

and i gotta say, the AMOLED screen is just mind blowingly beautiful IMO. the evo screen can look dull or washed out when side by side.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I have an EVO but don't have access to an N1 to compare.

EVO:
- Overall size is completely comfortable
- Screen is gorgeous!
- large screen is also easy to type on
- camera does not replace my small Canon but is great for a phone
- seems fast and responsive
For me it's all about a great browsing experience and the EVO delivers. It seems to do an awesome job of font smoothing to make small text readable.

I am also considering switching to N1 to keep my ATT plan (I really don't want to pay the premium device fee), but don't have access to a Nexus to check out. Color is not so important to me, but sharpness and readability are. I don't care if the text is small as long as it is just as sharp. I looked at an Incredible (supposed to have same screen as N1, right?), but I was really disappointed and don't think I could give up the EVO for that. It almost seemed like the Incredible had none or limited font smoothing and that the space between the pixels was large (screen door effect when you look close on white background that I don't see on EVO).

What is your opinion of the screen comparison of EVO and Nexus when browsing?
Thanks

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
In the end these are both great phones. You can be happy or miserable with either one.

This is also a comparison of coverage between carrier coverage. Check out the Sensorly app to see what 4G and 3G coverage users are really getting in your area.

It does not matter how good the phone is if you can't use it.

ootherocoo

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the N1 on T-mobile and just sold it this morning.

To be honest, I miss my Nexus One. The Evo is fantastic though. It really comes down to personal preference and plan pricing.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I had an EVO for a month and an ATT N1 with froyo for the past week. I had to get adjusted to the N1, but have decided to stick with ATT for the plan value and I now like most of the things about the N1. Biggest limits to me are that the browser on N1 is not quite as good as EVO (I can't enter text in some drop down windows that I can on EVO, it seems slower to render, and too often doesn't respond to scrolling or pinching for a moment), though flash is a plus on N1. The other big gripe that I have is N1 call volume especially in earpiece (I don't think it is adequate in a noisier environment), but speakerphone volume isn't great either. The EVO speaker or earpiece sound excellent. Of course the EVO screen is gorgeous and I don't think it is too big at all; N1 AMOLED has nothing over EVO LCD, but N1 screen is adequate. EVO's front camera would be cool on occasion once skype is released. Otherwise nothing else that I miss from the EVO, so I will be happy with my N1 on much cheaper family plan. Plus N1 froyo has wifi tethering option; I even connected to it with my deactivated EVO! Just need ATT to fix the ridiculous 3G upload issue they have been having the past week... If that doesn't happen soon I might switch to Sprint EVO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa