Final Test to decide if i keep the phone.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Leaving my house for 14 hours.... Father's Day/Birthday all in the same day. I need the phone to be able to get me from Atlanta, GA to NY and back in the same day. Two flights in the same day, and i'll turn the phone off during flight. It's a simple task really... if the battery can hold up, for 14 hours... Phone is permanently mine.

I won't use 4G. I won't use bluetooth. I will use GPS in NYC and i will use internet/facebook/foursquare/twitter.

Pulling phone off charger in 30 minutes...

R1_Rydah

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
2nd batteries are dirt cheap and can fit in the coin pocket of your jeans... theres no way this would be the make it or break it for me... but eh, to each his or her own

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
That's because you ride an R1 instead of a CBR. Just kidding.

I agree. I haven't had to carry a 2nd battery in 9 years of owning blackberries. So, not really use to the whole carry around another phone item. When i travel I travel light. Cash, ID and cell phone.

I purchased my phone outright for $450.00 and spent another $50 or so in accessories. All i'm asking is to perform as a typical smart phone would (I'm excluding the Palm Pre).

R1_Rydah

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

I agree. I haven't had to carry a 2nd battery in 9 years of owning blackberries. So, not really use to the whole carry around another phone item. When i travel I travel light. Cash, ID and cell phone.

I purchased my phone outright for $450.00 and spent another $50 or so in accessories. All i'm asking is to perform as a typical smart phone would (I'm excluding the Palm Pre).
a honda rider, & crackberry user.. those two choices tell me you like to play it safe... C'mon step outside of your comfort zone, & live a lil... You've already got the badass phone, now all we have to do is get you a fast bike!

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Good link... I use most of those settings and I average 14 - 16 hours and have gone between 10 - 30 hours depending on how heavy or light I am on the device.

battery life was never a concern for me... Back in the mid to late 1990's I always had 2 spare batteries for my phone... it was almost a must have as the batteries in those phones wouldn't last 2 hours in todays phones.... and those batteries were some bulky pieces of junk.... The battery for the EVO is a slim light weight.... If that is what they used back then I could have carried 10 around instead of 1 or 2.

He's talking about traveling light? Spare battery is nothing and heck even the USB cable isn't much to carry around... Even for a "Day Trip" from Atlanta to NYC I would at least have a back pack with me (I use to work for an airline and do "DAY TRIPS" all the time with our free flights) throw a spare battery and the USB cable in your bag/pocket for the day.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Why would you pay $450 for the phone? You could have paid $199.99 on a two year contract and then if you decided 3 months later to dump the phone just pay the $200 early termination fee and you come out ahead....

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I say go back to your crackberry. If battery life is what's important to you the Evo will never compare. That's just the way it is with high-end smart phones.

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
how come people are so afraid of their phones dying? i hate to break it to you but using the gps is gonna kill the battery. if you are that concerned about the battery buy the stuff you need to keep it charged when there are no outlets. like a battery powered charger. i see these things all the time at targets and walmarts for like 15 bucks. i bought one at kroger for 20 bucks a couple years ago when i had a razr and it worked like a charm. i mean if you really are concerned about your phone lasting buy the stuff you need. there are more options available for you then to buy a second battery.

JM22508

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The first week I had the phone, I was one of those guys very frustrated with the battery life, trying all the tips and tricks I could find. Nothing seemed to do the trick, and I felt like I was using more battery life actually taking the phone out of sleep just to check the battery status and running stuff.

So, I bought this from the local Sprint store. Although I haven't had actually used it in any way other than plugged in, it has an internal battery so you can charge anywhere.

For whatever reason, my battery issues seem to have disappeared. I haven't changed any of my usage behaviors, other than actually checking the status less. Now I keep GPS on, use WiFi when at home and 4G everywhere else, and I'm making it through the day easily.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. Just bought the tour at Christmas. As far as being concerned about the battery, I guess I'm just use to blackberries lasting two days with heavy usage. Six or seven email accounts using push and all. Good news is I'm in ny with 75% battery!

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
i can understand why people coming from BB or similar devices are so annoyed by battery, those thing last several days. My girlfriend bought her first touch screen phone and said it only last a day. i just laughed, cause a day is pretty much all any touchscreen phone is gonna last.

i dont have my evo yet, but im hoping once i get it it can last me about 14 hours with medium usage (no 4g in my area). Im sure the first day i get the thing ill run it out in like 5 hours but ill be on it the whole time. Cant wait for my evo, put my order in at the sprint store 12 days ago so im about to go crazy (if i haven't already)

Last edited:

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Bro I just bought the ext battery n it makes a big difference, with my pre I had 3 batt cause I use my phones hard so I carry the batt on my back pocket n it doesn't even bother men n its worth it cause this phone is bad ass so getting the ext batt is worth it

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If battery life is the most important thing, then keep your Blackberry. Or go back to a flip phone and run it for a week on a charge.

When (IF) RIM ever manages to build a phone that does all the things the Evo does, I suspect you'll find battery life to be an issue with that, too. But when I can get a USB car charger adapter for less than $10, and an AC charger and 2 batteries for $15, basing a decision on this one thing seems silly to me. Especially considering all the things you'll give up going from an EVO back to your BB.

But Like I've said many times, no phone is perfect. EVERY device involves tradeoffs. Pick the phone which best matches YOUR needs. But don't waste your time and ours by whining about the phones that don't meet your needs.

I do, however, have to take issue with your use of the term "typical smart phone." Today's Android, WebOS and iPhone OS's all have similar battery life. It's your BB that's atypical, because in comparison to the other phones mentioned it's not a SmartPhone. Not even close. The old Palm Treo is more capable than a BB.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I bought this from the local Sprint store. Although I haven't had actually used it in any way other than plugged in, it has an internal battery so you can charge anywhere.

That's pretty cool looking. I like the 5 foot cord, and the extra backup power the internal battery provides if needed.

dodgebusta

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Just put my name on the sprint stores waiting list a few days ago. I use the original sprint back up battery, its kind of cool. I already ordered a pair of extra home chargers for work and at the gf's since both places i get poor reception with any phone not just sprint.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm in my car so much, I just charge it for during the day when Im in my car, that extra 10-15 of charge makes a big difference and when Im driving to the city on the weekends, its a 45 + min charge. Im surprised nobody talks bout having a car charger to keep the battery going during the day.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had to carry a 2nd battery in 9 years of owning blackberries. So, not really use to the whole carry around another phone item.
seriously! dude how big is a second battery that youre whining about carrying it around? I run my phone unnuetered all day and get about 9-10 hrs before I have to go to my second battery. sorry to sound like a d!ck but I just wish all you whiners would just return your phones and move on to something else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo