Maybe there are bum batteries?

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I know that there is a lot of debate on the batteries, and I know some people have said it works fine, and others have had issues. Maybe it is not generic to all phones, but rather either some bad batteries or even bad phones.

Here are my status for today.
Took off the car charger with 100% at 6:15 am
It is now Noon and I have 90% battery left.
No ATK installed
GPS on the entire time.
Bluetooth on the entire time
WiFi and 4G off the entire time.
15 minutes of game play.
e-mail manual sync 1 time for google, 3 times for yahoo.
a dozen texts sent and received.
No phone calls.

Sure, I am a light user, but with no ATK, GPS and bluetooth both ON, after just about 6 hours, I only used 90% of the battery.

Maybe those who are running low on battery power either of bad equipment or are just expecting to much from their phone.

As I put in another post, it is like getting a Mazerati and complaining about gas mileage. If you want better gas mileage get a Prius or maybe only use your Mazerati in optimal situations to get the best mileage out of it. You know, cars get their best mileage at a speed somewhere between 60-65 MPH, and your evo will get a respectable battery if you don't go overboard.

You can't have it all.

jobryan26

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been working on computers for just over 10yrs now. I currently have over 6 computers in my house with all of them networked and most running Media Center. I also manage and run our IT locally at our branch. In addition to this I have had WinMo phones for the past 3 yrs which I use to cook and flash roms for. With this said I tend to think I am an advanced user and I can tell you there ARE issues with some of these phones. There is just WAY too much variation between people stating that they are getting over 3 times the battery life as others. Heck there is one guy that he and his wife both have EVO's and he has applied all of the exact setting to both yet one is getting double the life of the other one. Also I have talked with users and stepped thru setting up their phone and they still cannot get decent battery life. Heck even my phone wasn't getting over 5-1/2hr (even in standby) until one day I hard reset my phone. There are ISSUES with some of these phones and it upsets me when people (not you) do call these people liars.
I think there is something wrong with the radios in some of these phones which would explain battery drain, weak wifi, random reboots, placing your hand over then antenna and seeing the signal drop. Yes, my battery life sucks too. Just my 2cents

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Which is why I am wondering if there are just bad phones or batteries out there. That all of this tweaking that people are doing is just smoke an mirrors and not really addressing the issue. I wish there was a way to know for certain.

And an update for me. I it is now 12:50 (30+ minutes since my original stats). I have since synced my weather, and my yahoo mail, as well as a news update (about 8-10 services that I hadn't updated since Saturday). Result - now 89% instead of the original 90%

Last edited:

tomh1102

May 27, 2010
Visit site
My battery life easily outperforms my Palm Pre even with the bigger screen, 4G, and just flat out faster.

I have read that there are 2 hardware versions of the EVO "0002" and "0003" and it appears that many of the reported problems are coming from users of hardware version 0002.

I have also read that there are 2 different batteries in circulation.

Maybe it is just because I am coming from the Pre but my battery life is great, wifi signal is on par with the Pre, phone responsiveness smokes the Pre and I have had zero hardware issues so far. Not bad for being my first EVO when I got 3 bad Pre's in less than a year.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If there are 2 evo versions and 2 batteries, how can someone figure out what they have? With 2 & 2, that means there are 4 combos. Maybe some are really bad and some are good. I would love to have this confirmed.
Maybe if we can get the facts confirmed about the 4, we could put up a poll here to see who has what and if some are worse than others.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
ok, not sure on the battery types, but a quick web search does confirm that there are different hardware versions out there.
I do have version 0003. In theory one would think that the later the version the better. Of course that is not always the case.

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
I took mine off the charger at 7am, have e-mail synching every 15 minutes and my brightness set to auto. No task killer or anything. No texts, games or calls since I'm at work. I don't keep GPS, 4G or Bluetooth on, and I forgot to shut wi-fi off when I left home since there's no wi-fi signal here at work. And right now at 12:45 it's at 83%. Still a little bit beter than my Pre did, but could be better. Not sure if that's what some would consider sucky battery life, but it's still not 100%-0% in 5 hours like that lockergnome douchebag claimed.

And I have no wi-fi issues. 3 rooms away from my router, I still get a solid connection.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I know that there is a lot of debate on the batteries, and I know some people have said it works fine, and others have had issues. Maybe it is not generic to all phones, but rather either some bad batteries or even bad phones.

No ATK installed
GPS on the entire time.
15 minutes of game play.
No phone calls.

Sure, I am a light user, but with no ATK, GPS and bluetooth both ON, after just about 6 hours, I only used 90% of the battery.

Maybe those who are running low on battery power either of bad equipment or are just expecting to much from their phone.

As I put in another post, it is like getting a Mazerati and complaining about gas mileage. If you want better gas mileage get a Prius or maybe only use your Mazerati in optimal situations to get the best mileage out of it. You know, cars get their best mileage at a speed somewhere between 60-65 MPH, and your evo will get a respectable battery if you don't go overboard.

You can't have it all.

Yeah it's kind of like having a Ferrari and complaining about the gas mileage...

OrderedtheEvo

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I do believe this is possible. My battery life sucks and I got a buddy that has 2 evos and his battery life is so much better. I leave my gps Bluetooth and 4g off at all times and he keeps gps and wifi on all the time and his battery stays charged.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site

No ATK installed
GPS on the entire time.
15 minutes of game play.
No phone calls.

You can't have it all.

Battery life is directly related to signal strength. Period.
I've read 3000 damn posts about the battery on the Evo. My phone spends 70%+ of the time without a signal and I get 7 hours, 8 at best. If everyone would realize this, there would be far less question about why the battery is dying so quickly. There was an excellent post with some baseline tests indicating that GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth have minimal affect on battery life - it's the signal, downloading and surfing the internet. Keep those things to a minimum and you're golden. If, however, you are a power user and use your phone for EVERYTHING, like I do, keep extra batteries around - chargers on every desk and stf up about the battery already!

tomh1102

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is directly related to signal strength. Period.
I've read 3000 damn posts about the battery on the Evo. My phone spends 70%+ of the time without a signal and I get 7 hours, 8 at best. If everyone would realize this, there would be far less question about why the battery is dying so quickly. There was an excellent post with some baseline tests indicating that GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth have minimal affect on battery life - it's the signal, downloading and surfing the internet. Keep those things to a minimum and you're golden. If, however, you are a power user and use your phone for EVERYTHING, like I do, keep extra batteries around - chargers on every desk and stf up about the battery already!
Many factors outside of signal reception contribute to battery life if not than putting your phone in airplane mode would mean that your battery would last forever.

No need to come in the thread with an attitude problem we are simply exploring alternate reasoning which may contribute to the poor battery life that some are receiving, which "signal" is definately a contributing factor but not the only factor.

Unless you are a statistician with an extremely large database of users/location/hardware version/battery version/user type, than I seriously doubt that you are qualified to suggest that there is only one factor causing poor battery life.

OrderedtheEvo

May 16, 2010
Visit site
and stf up about the battery already!

Was this necessary ? This is a forum about this phone. You discuss things about the phone. A lot of users have had problems with battery life, that's why there is so many battery threads. If you don't like it the thread don't post in it.

Not trying to be a di*k head. :)

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
There's no attitude here, other than that of someone just as frustrated and has read and read and read until I'm blue in the face about this battery life issue. I'm not kidding when I say I have read over 3000 posts - in this forum and several others.

"Many factors outside of signal reception contribute to battery life if not than putting your phone in airplane mode would mean that your battery would last forever." I think you meant to say "then" not "than" - just a pet peeve of mine, and contributes to the fact that I pay extreme attention to detail - Yes, there are other factors, and no, putting your phone in Airplane mode would not allow it to last forever. There are plenty of things you can do with the device that don't include any of the radios, but that would drain your battery. What I am saying, is that the signal strength is the LARGEST contributor to battery drain. PERIOD...... no questions - now, the question is, is this poor handling in the OS, or a hardware issue? Either way, stock up on batteries and just get over it already. It's like people are asking to run their PLASMA television off of AA batteries.........not gonna happen. Same with this phone, you need POWER - so stock up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress