What's the point of 4G if the Battery Dies?

danielkogan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So now i got 4g. What's the point if each time I turn it on 20 minutes later your battery takes a hit? Now if your going to say "Plug it in while using 4G", what's the point? If you can plug it in you're most likely near wifi! Just drives me insane that I love this phone but every-time I compare it to competition and think "well the EVO has 4G", but if you don't use it WTF?

If HTC doesn't come out with Froyo or update by July 6th I'm seriously considering just jumping ship back to the Nexus one. T-Mobile had speed just as fast in Philly and the battery actually lasted! I'm starting to wonder if they hype was just too early.

I guess I'm a victim of just being addicted to the latest and greatest!

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The point is to use it when you need it. When the iPhone 3G came out they recommended turning off 3G when you werent in a 3G area or werent using it because it would kill your battery. Same thing here, new technology and enough time hasn't passed to make it as efficient as possible.

If your battery is dying in 20 mins with 4G on, you have a defective phone. I see a slight increase in battery drain over 3G, but nothing stupid that would keep them from releasing the phone like the 20 mins you are saying.

You will not see Froyo by July 6th, so in that case, see ya, enjoy your N1.

neilept

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
is your 4g signal weak? If it is constantly searching for a signal, it will drain your battery life. And from what I have heard, the 4g signals are weak right now in buildings.

cjmedina

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Im gonna. Agree turn of 4g unless you need it. For most things 3g will be more than enough, push email, streaming music. For heavy data like video streaming, Downloading big files, video calls turn it on

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My 4g is pretty much non-existent inside my office building and full signal the second I go outside. I see no need to leave it on, or use it when inside my building (I have a pc to search the internet!). I will say that it is a bit annoying to have to turn it on everytime I want to use it outside (it can take about 30 seconds to connect), but it is well worth it. The speed for me was fast, or at least fast enough.

danielkogan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The point is to use it when you need it. When the iPhone 3G came out they recommended turning off 3G when you werent in a 3G area or werent using it because it would kill your battery. Same thing here, new technology and enough time hasn't passed to make it as efficient as possible.

If your battery is dying in 20 mins with 4G on, you have a defective phone. I see a slight increase in battery drain over 3G, but nothing stupid that would keep them from releasing the phone like the 20 mins you are saying.

You will not see Froyo by July 6th, so in that case, see ya, enjoy your N1.

I did not say that it drains it but stated that it had an effect that is noticeable. Simple as that. turning something on and off for casual use is not something that everyone wants to do as it should be the last thought on your mind. Anyway, this is a real issue I'm sure that many are annoyed of. If HTC comes out with a patch to at least help battery life so it can at least match the Droid X I would be happy.

barleydude

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Here is Sprints take on 4G

4G

The 4G radio should only be turned on when the improved network speed is required for an application, such as YouTube, Web Browsing or Sprint Mobile Hotspot. When not in use, it's important to use the built-in 4G widget to turn the 4G radio OFF.

If you have your 4G radio ON, but are no longer in 4G coverage, then your device will be scanning in an attempt to re-acquire the 4G network. Your battery can be significantly drained by scanning, so if you know you will be out of 4G coverage for an extended period of time or if you are not acquiring a 4G signal as indicated in the task bar, it is important to turn your 4G radio OFF.

Even when in 4G markets, particularly when mobile, you may be going in and out of 4G coverage. If you notice that you do not have a 4G signal at any point in time, turning off the 4G radio will save you significant battery life. Simply turn it back on to check for 4G coverage when you are back in 4G coverage.

Support - Article

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
what is the point of having a mobile phone if the battery dies?
didn't it serve it's purpose before the battery died?

kcpowercat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I turn off my screen when I'm not using it either. What is the point of a screen if it just turns off?

These are powerful devices with tiny batteries. People expect more out of their phones than their laptops. Turn off things when you don't use them. It only makes sense.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I turn off my screen when I'm not using it either. What is the point of a screen if it just turns off?

These are powerful devices with tiny batteries. People expect more out of their phones than their laptops. Turn off things when you don't use them. It only makes sense.

this! X2
doesn't you car or truck brun more fuel when you press the pdeal down more?
all mine do, not sure why??????

untarded#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Even though it's not listed I'm getting 4G in parts of Jacksonville. Of course this was one of the first two cities where Clearwire rolled out service a few years ago.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Even though it's not listed I'm getting 4G in parts of Jacksonville. Of course this was one of the first two cities where Clearwire rolled out service a few years ago.
i live in podunkville wa and clearwire has a network here but i can not connect to it on my phone